Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Lord Chaos
macrumors newbie

Corporations using iPads for presentation

Hi everyone,

I work at a large financial institution that is examining the use of iPads for presentations. They are looking to examples of other large business who are doing the same.

Does anybody have examples of specific corporations now using iPads for Powerpoint type presentations?

cheers.
Lord Chaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:17 PM   #2
DVDxR
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chaos View Post
Hi everyone,

I work at a large financial institution that is examining the use of iPads for presentations. They are looking to examples of other large business who are doing the same.

Does anybody have examples of specific corporations now using iPads for Powerpoint type presentations?

cheers.
A few guys at the company I work for (an IT Consulting firm) use them during events. I've also seen the Sales Engineers at Citrix Systems use them for presentations at local events.
DVDxR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:07 PM   #3
elmo151

Apple is launching a campaign to increase corporate sales. Why not contact their corporate sale group?
elmo151 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:08 PM   #4
mchank
macrumors regular

Wells Fargo does in some situations
mchank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:22 PM   #5
urbanj
macrumors regular

I don't know about iPad in perticular but I know the Credit Union my friends dad is big cheese at just recently did an entire switch over to Macs.

I'm guessing iPads would be part of the mix.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:33 PM   #6
evilgreg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I work at a large financial institution that is examining the use of iPads for presentations.
"lord chaos"
evilgreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:08 PM   #7
X1Lightning
macrumors 6502

just wondering how would you do a presentation on a ipad?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:17 PM   #8
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Lightning View Post
VGA output via the dock connector. Keynote is probably the app most people would use.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:54 PM   #9
X1Lightning
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
VGA output via the dock connector. Keynote is probably the app most people would use.
wow, i didn't know that was on the dock, that is pretty cool, but wouldn't it be harder to interact with the ipad while its propped on that thing?

It would be awesome if you could have a wireless connection to that dock so it can send the signal to a projector, and you can then hold the ipad the way you want and move around
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:58 PM   #10
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
wow, i didn't know that was on the dock, that is pretty cool, but wouldn't it be harder to interact with the ipad while its propped on that thing?

It would be awesome if you could have a wireless connection to that dock so it can send the signal to a projector, and you can then hold the ipad the way you want and move around
To clarify, it's not the dock itself that has a VGA output. There's a little cable that you can buy from Apple, it's about $30 and it connects to the dock connector on the iPad and provides a VGA output. Yeah, the disadvantage would be that the iPad would be tied down by the cable.

I don't imagine it will be too long before someone comes up with a wireless iPad to VGA solution... (One solution would be to keep the presentation on another computer tied to the projector, and simply control the presentation from the iPad.)
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Scuby
macrumors regular

Sounds like an ideal use for AirPlay via an AppleTV - although unfortunately not many business projectors have HDMI

Could use a long cable or dock extender though (typically a dock extender would be lighter and more flexible than a long VGA cable, so probably best to use one of those if you can find one).
Scuby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:40 PM   #12
lokerd
macrumors 6502a

I work for a large financial company of which I am just a local independent rep and I don't interact much with others. I only work part time...or rather spare time, but at one time I was doing 2-3 night time kitchen presentations, and 2-3 weekly meetings. I can't imagine how effective it would be in the field.

I have converted a few presentations and amazed at how convenient it is. I have also delivered a couple of presentations publically from the iPad that were also largely created on the pad, and it was just awesome. So portable, so easy to walk in, set up in seconds. I was pleased to learn that iCab displayed full screen with out modification to the projector.

I think if more companies realized just how effective and portable the iPad was, apple couldn't make them quick enough.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:52 PM   #13
MSD401
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to MSD401
I am considering an ipad for a similar purpose.. any others apps besides keynote that can output PPT?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:06 PM   #14
mlomeli
macrumors member

Not sure what she's doing with it, but Diane Sawyer has one on her desk. Only computer on her desk during ABC nightly news.

Just saying...
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:57 PM   #15
james90755
macrumors newbie

I am looking at running ppt off an iPad. I am wondering what the resolution maximum is on the VGA driver...

iPad specs for the internal display are 1024x768. I would hope it would be at least the same, if not higher.
james90755 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 03:20 PM   #16
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by james90755 View Post
I am looking at running ppt off an iPad. I am wondering what the resolution maximum is on the VGA driver...

iPad specs for the internal display are 1024x768. I would hope it would be at least the same, if not higher.
"Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter;"

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Macbook Pro 15"
8GB DDR3 RAM
iPhone 6 Silver
crazzyeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:35 PM   #17
Ciclismo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
My fiancÚ works at a post-production company that also does a lot of other work such as websites. Recently they had a project whereby they put together presentation for a client where they made two versions. One was to be projected on the screen while someone blabbed on about it, the other was for the iPads that were lent to guests for the duration of the presentation. Apparently (I wasn't allowed to view the presentation because of confidentiality agreements) the iPad version had details from the speakers notes added so that the guests could flick back and forth if they missed a key point or wanted more clarification. It also helped to capture the audience attention because people were interacting with the presentation and not their Crackberrys or daydreaming about drinks afterwards.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:22 PM   #18
mudslag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hi everyone,

cheers.

http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/pr...tentID=2300386

Im looking into this for my trading company
mudslag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:21 PM   #19
Eldiablojoe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokerd View Post
I work for a large financial company of which I am just a local independent rep and I don't interact much with others. I only work part time...or rather spare time, but at one time I was doing 2-3 night time kitchen presentations, and 2-3 weekly meetings. I can't imagine how effective it would be in the field...
Argh - I hated Primerica. Hope it is working out for you. Personally, I find they are an MLM scam.
Eldiablojoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:04 AM   #20
sam8940
macrumors newbie

Our local tv news uses the ipad for every thing from there main computers to just showing a web page
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:25 AM   #21
PowerGamerX
macrumors 6502a

I've done very large presentation projects for my school if that counts for everything. They usually look about 30x more professional than the PowerPoint ones. Not the exact answer you were looking for but it works well.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:08 AM   #22
pjo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchank View Post
Wells Fargo does in some situations
lol. I'm not so sure about how many people watch Eureka.
pjo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:01 PM   #23
lokerd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablojoe;
Argh - I hated Primerica. Hope it is working out for you. Personally, I find they are an MLM scam.
OT, but I have been with them for 13+ years. Nothing scammish about them. I have a lot of satisfied clients and at one time had a very nice team before giving up my full time position and returning to teaching. Except for my extraordinarily frugal upline making things difficult for me, I had a very positive experience with the company. On the other hand, that guy who started my own personal investment as a first year teacher in 1993, with a tiny $25/mo, has helped me accumulate a very nice retirement account, almost all of it in a Roth ira. And he has gone on to become one of the companies top NSDs.

Now I am only a spare time rep, maintaining my existing clients, with a few new teacher retirement accounts these days, but if I were developing a large number of clients, or running an office, the iPad would be an absolute dream tool.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad