Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
It's obvious that we can only speculate what the future holds, but how likely do you think a product of this nature would be. Do you think Apple will venture here? I really hope so, I think they could make an excellent 55 inch Television for under/about $2500.

Thoughts?

2707015982_9792aafba3.jpg

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Then people will be forced into size ,specs, ect. Then the price and the fact that they would need a new overpriced tv every year would kill it. Boxes are the way to go.

mh530

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
Just velcro the Apple TV on to the back of your regular TV. Now you have an apple TV with apple TV built in...

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
Doesn't make sense to me.

Apple made a very inexpensive box, but they don't have a habit of making inexpensive displays. Plus the TV market is too competitive/low-margin.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Then people will be forced into size ,specs, ect. Then the price and the fact that they would need a new overpriced tv every year would kill it. Boxes are the way to go.

Not really. That have many products that they don't update too often. Cinema displays, Airports, and even AppleTV, in fact. Not only did it have a good 3 years to itself, but they had no choice but to update it because they had to take one last shot to make it a hit product because it wasn't doing well. You can bet that this AppleTV will stay for a while.

darkgroove

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Just velcro the Apple TV on to the back of your regular TV. Now you have an apple TV with apple TV built in...

This is probably the best idea you will read here as this will never happen.

Bundled appliances are horrible. If one thing breaks, you are completely screwed.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Plus I want options. Pick one manufacturer and look at its line of TVs. You'll see lots of choices in terms of bezel style, colors, total thickness (depending on whether you pick a plasma, LCD, LED model) and they typically have different price points from a budget line (chunky plastic, LCD) to a premium line (super thin and stylish, thin bezel, LED). Number of external inputs, etc.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Doesn't make sense to me.

Apple made a very inexpensive box, but they don't have a habit of making inexpensive displays. Plus the TV market is too competitive/low-margin.

Sorry but that's completely wrong. Tv market has one of the HIGHEST margin of profit. Walk into a best buy or whatever you guys have and ask an employee what their highest margin product is. I have friend at futureshop (aka bestbuy) and he gave me a 5.1 Energy speaker system valued at around $600, a $300 yamaha receiver and a ps3 for free when I bought my 52 samsung tv valued at 3900 or so. And that was nothing for him.

I estimate that the retail margin of profit for a tv (high end) is between 100-200% easily.

Thanks,
AE

darkgroove

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Sorry but that's completely wrong. Tv market has one of the HIGHEST margin of profit. Walk into a best buy or whatever you guys have and ask an employee what their highest margin product is. I have friend at futureshop (aka bestbuy) and he gave me a while 5.1 energy speaker system valued at around $600 and a ps3 for free when I bought my 52 samsung tv valued at 3900 or so. And that was nothing for him.

I estimate that the retail margin of profit for a tv (high end) is between 100-200% easily.

Thanks,
AE

Actually, you are the one that is wrong. Their highest margins are on overpriced cables and warranties that you never use. TVs are FARRRRRRRR from a high margin item, and competition is fierce. If anything, the TVs serve to get you to buy cables.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Actually, you are the one that is wrong. Their highest margins are on overpriced cables and warranties that you never use. TVs are FARRRRRRRR from a high margin item, and competition is fierce. If anything, the TVs serve to get you to buy cables.

Please go ask before commenting, I know people that work there, mangers not simple employee. They have no margin whatsoever on consoles and games and such. But a huge margin on TVs.

You are correct on one thing, that cables and such have a massive margin as well. I wanted to buy a HDMI cable priced at $50 at Futureshop, whenni went to my guy and he used his employee ID, it was priced at 6.99

Thanks
AE

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I am so in the market for a TV, but am waiting for the Google TVs to come out, unless Apple releases a aTV/TV.

I think Apple could partner with Samsung, or LG to make this happen. But, as said before it would probably cost your left arm to get it.

tropic10

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2008
I just don't see it happening. Apple is extremely selective about the portfolio of products that they offer.

They entered the mobile phone and tablet markets because there was a huge potential for growth, the existing products were substandard, and Apple knew they could make something much better. Is any of that true for HDTV's?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I just don't see it happening. Apple is extremely selective about the portfolio of products that they offer.

They entered the mobile phone and tablet markets because there was a huge potential for growth, the existing products were substandard, and Apple knew they could make something much better. Is any of that true for HDTV's?

I just don't see whats stopping them, they already make displays. yes, they are not nearly as big, but there is the potential for growth here as well. Apples aTVs will be a thing of the past when Google TV comes out, i think. Therefore it makes sense for Apple to try and compete with Google here as well. All they need to do is take a monitor/display and incorporate the aTV into it.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
It's obvious that we can only speculate what the future holds, but how likely do you think a product of this nature would be. Do you think Apple will venture here? I really hope so, I think they could make an excellent 55 inch Television for under/about $2500.

Thoughts?

2707015982_9792aafba3.jpg

Then what happens when or ATV becomes obsolete? Do you need to change your whole set for that?
Makes no sense. I rather have a $99 box that I can upgrade whenever something better comes up than change my whole display that works and the picture is just fine.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Sorry but that's completely wrong. Tv market has one of the HIGHEST margin of profit. Walk into a best buy or whatever you guys have and ask an employee what their highest margin product is. I have friend at futureshop (aka bestbuy) and he gave me a 5.1 Energy speaker system valued at around $600, a $300 yamaha receiver and a ps3 for free when I bought my 52 samsung tv valued at 3900 or so. And that was nothing for him.

Thanks,
AE

No way, HDTV sets do not have high margins. It's a hard market to compete with great products and very low margins. That's why I hardly believe Apple would make a TV, just because their usual high margin could not apply to such a product.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
The display is just that a display, peripherals are far more affordable than tv sets, for me at least.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
I usually agree with most on here that I prefer a separate component, TVs are expensive and I don't expect to upgrade it frequently, whereas with the gadgets I do.

But I do think there is a benefit to integrating it that you can't get with a separate box. Integrating it would allow apple to overlay their interface and features on top of cable/satellite/fios. They can do similar things to sony's google tv and let you browse content and things while watching tv.

Browsing my movie list and movie rentals while watching tv is not a critical feature, I can live with hitting a button on my harmony to switch. But where I think this would make a big difference is if apps come along. If I am watching tv and want to check the weather or use and informational app (news, facebook-not that I use facebook, and things like this) I am not going to switch over to apple tv just to do that. I will look on my ipad or computer. But if it is something I can bring up while watching tv it will become significantly more usable. I think that would be excellent.

Don't see it happening though, they could sell a tv line with it build in, in addition to the stand alone box so they don't limit their audience. But doubt it.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
But I do think there is a benefit to integrating it that you can't get with a separate box. Integrating it would allow apple to overlay their interface and features on top of cable/satellite/fios. They can do similar things to sony's google tv and let you browse content and things while watching tv.

You know google made a box too. And it does the same things....

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
I prefer atv interface and integration with itunes, ipad, iphone. Would love to have integration with tv on the apple platform. Don't see it happening anytime soon though.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Sorry, misunderstood your question and having trouble editing my last post.

Google did make a box (indirectly), but I think the model is very clunky with the infrared connectors and mutliple boxes. I don't think it is going to appeal to the masses, which is what apple is interested in. Integrating directly into the tv allows you to overlay without dealing with the complications of another box.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
No way, HDTV sets do not have high margins. It's a hard market to compete with great products and very low margins. That's why I hardly believe Apple would make a TV, just because their usual high margin could not apply to such a product.

Man please dont make a comment without checking your sources. I will paypal you $100 dollars if you know someone at bestbuy/futureshop that can contradict and prove that TVs dont have a high margin. Specifically Higher end name brand tvs such as sony, samsung, LG and more.

Thanks
AE

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Man please dont make a comment without checking your sources. I will paypal you $100 dollars if you know someone at bestbuy/futureshop that can contradict and prove that TVs dont have a high margin. Specifically Higher end name brand tvs such as sony, samsung, LG and more.

Thanks
AE

Exactly. I have the 55 LED insignia, and due to a sound issue geek squad had to come out the other day. We were both astonished to see ALL Samsung parts, including the panel. This TV is currently $1299. A 1080p LED 55 inch Samsung equivalent doesn't TOUCH that price. You know they are making money.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Exactly. I have the 55 LED insignia, and due to a sound issue geek squad had to come out the other day. We were both astonished to see ALL Samsung parts, including the panel. This TV is currently $1299. A 1080p LED 55 inch Samsung equivalent doesn't TOUCH that price. You know they are making money.

Some people have no idea about somethings yet try to comment on them. So yea just wanted to prove my point from experience.

Thanks
AE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.