Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:19 AM   #1
anthdci
macrumors 6502

best way to charge iPhone

I would like to preserve the health of my phones battery for as long as possible, so I am wondering what the best way to charge it will be. I can easily keep it over 90%, just charge it overnight, then when I get to work charge it from 9-5, so it will only really be off charge from 7-9am then from 5-10pm. But I don't know if this is over charging it, if there is such a thing. Would I be better just charging it overnight and leaving it off through the day? I let it go completely empty then give it a full charge every 6weeks or so.

I will be keeping it until roughly when the iPhone version 6 comes out so I don't want it to only last a few hours between charges, when it is coming towards the end of its life.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:46 AM   #2
aldo818
macrumors regular

I ve another question i bought an belkin car charger and belkin charger for the office everytime i use it a warning appears that it may interfear with the signal strenght as it s not a apple charger.

Will my iphone get damaged when i charge it with these chargers?

It doesn t show up all the times just from time to time
aldo818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:13 AM   #3
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthdci View Post
I would like to preserve the health of my phones battery for as long as possible, so I am wondering what the best way to charge it will be.
Generally Apple's tips for charging batteries give pretty good advice that you should follow.

Quote:
I can easily keep it over 90%, just charge it overnight, then when I get to work charge it from 9-5, so it will only really be off charge from 7-9am then from 5-10pm. But I don't know if this is over charging it, if there is such a thing. Would I be better just charging it overnight and leaving it off through the day? I let it go completely empty then give it a full charge every 6weeks or so.
You'll want to give it a full cycle (draining to a low level, then a full charge) at least once a month, but that should do the trick.

Quote:
I will be keeping it until roughly when the iPhone version 6 comes out so I don't want it to only last a few hours between charges, when it is coming towards the end of its life.
You should be more or less fine. Since you plan on keeping your phone for two years, you should consider getting Applecare for your phone, which will cover you for two years and costs about $10 less than Apple's battery replacement service for the iPhone.

That way if you do have a battery issue, or any other warranty issue for that matter, you're covered.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
anthdci
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Generally Apple's tips for charging batteries give pretty good advice that you should follow.
thanks for that, I will start doing the full cycle more often. That page was helpful but it was mostly common sense, I was after slightly more detail regarding whether it is bad for the batter for it to be left on charge for hours even when reading 100%
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:41 AM   #5
jetblk328i
macrumors 6502

yea i usually use mine for 2 days until it is at 10% or so then charge it.
jetblk328i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:25 PM   #6
iHeartapple2
macrumors 6502

I only put my phone on the charger for about a hour or two in the morning and that's it. Once a month I let it drain down below 20% and then charge it overnight. Seems to have worked really good so far.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Tom G.
macrumors 65816

To aldo818,

no using a non Apple may bring up such a message, but you arenot doing any damage to your iPhone.
Tom G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:58 PM   #8
TaterToT
macrumors 6502

The iPhone will stop charging once at 100% so there is no downside to leaving it plugged in for a long time
TaterToT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:59 PM   #9
ItsJustafnPhone
Banned

lithium batteries do not need to be full cycled, they do not have any memory effect. doing this is only useful to calibrate your% if you think it's off

two things will reduce the life of your battery. usage and heat

so keep it fully charged and cool
ItsJustafnPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone