Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Is there a way to setup the FaceTime client on the iPhone 4 to work with an email address like the iPod Touch and the new FT Mac client?

I'd like them to all work off the same contact info but right now, a phone number rings the FT on my phone but my email rings FT everywhere else.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I don't mind my phone number also linking to my iPhone 4 but I think it's only logical to allow me to also associate the email address with the iPhone like everything else.

I think I'll send that as a suggestion to Apple. Hopefully they see the same logic in it.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I don't mind my phone number also linking to my iPhone 4 but I think it's only logical to allow me to also associate the email address with the iPhone like everything else.

I think I'll send that as a suggestion to Apple. Hopefully they see the same logic in it.

I agree with you and think it's a great suggestion for Apple. As they work through the just released beta for the Mac, I suspect we'll see a more integrated implementation of FaceTime across the various platforms, including the iPhone.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I agree with you and think it's a great suggestion for Apple. As they work through the just released beta for the Mac, I suspect we'll see a more integrated implementation of FaceTime across the various platforms, including the iPhone.

I'm sure it will change in time. Right now, the current method leaves the iPhone as the odd-man-out since all of your FaceTime interfaces will use your email except for one...the iPhone 4.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Just bumping this with a question;
Does email facetime work on the iPhone with 4.2 (the betas, assuming no one has the final yet!!)?

Was trying email facetime between iphone4's, and other devices to them with no luck. Then went and googled to find it's not supported! :(

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Just bumping this with a question;
Does email facetime work on the iPhone with 4.2 (the betas, assuming no one has the final yet!!)?

Was trying email facetime between iphone4's, and other devices to them with no luck. Then went and googled to find it's not supported! :(

That's correct. For now at least, if you are using FaceTime to/with an iPhone, you have to use the phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.