Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:05 PM   #1
VwTdi09
macrumors newbie

Obj-C / Cocoa Bootcamp

I'm currently looking for a bootcamp-style class for Objective-C or Cocoa, preferably in the New York area but I will consider anywhere in the continental US.

It looks like the Big Nerd Ranch isn't offering the Cocoa I class anytime soon, so some alternative would be nice. I would be interested to hear if anyone has experience going to any of these classes.

Just got word from the boss that he might need me to help out with some Objective-C projects and I need something to get me up to speed quickly.

As far as background goes, I'm currently a C programmer at the firmware level and have little experience with OOP. I've messed around with it a little on my own but no professional experience.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions besides a crash-course, I'm all ears
VwTdi09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Not sure about any classes, but since you already know C, you may want to pick up Programming in Objective-C 2.0 and start with that. Then when you're comfortable with the language, Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:06 PM   #3
VwTdi09
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
Not sure about any classes, but since you already know C, you may want to pick up Programming in Objective-C 2.0 and start with that. Then when you're comfortable with the language, Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X.
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate. I actually own both those books already. They are very well written and have a ton of information but I need the structure of an actual class. I've tried the whole self-paced thing and things go smoothly for about a week then life gets in the way.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:20 PM   #4
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by VwTdi09 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate. I actually own both those books already. They are very well written and have a ton of information but I need the structure of an actual class. I've tried the whole self-paced thing and things go smoothly for about a week then life gets in the way.
Big Nerd Ranch is probably the only place short of going to university that teaches cocoa.
MorphingDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:40 AM   #5
xStep
macrumors 68000

Good old Google found this iPhone one in NY.

Invasive Code has training in San Francisco. I got their name from the MDN podcasts which will now be called something else; watch iDeveloper.tv for further details.
xStep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6
dbendixen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
Not sure about any classes, but since you already know C, you may want to pick up Programming in Objective-C 2.0 and start with that.
Is that book too advanced for someone who just "learned" C? I'm about to finish my second beginner book on C, and I want to jump into Objective-C, but didn't know where to start. I've heard mixed reviews on Apress's Learn Objective-C on the Mac, so I want to stay away from that one if possible.
dbendixen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbendixen View Post
Is that book too advanced for someone who just "learned" C?
No, it's not. In fact, it assumes no prior programming experience. So, having just learned C should not be a problem; in fact, it'll be an advantage.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:41 PM   #8
dbendixen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
No, it's not. In fact, it assumes no prior programming experience. So, having just learned C should not be a problem; in fact, it'll be an advantage.
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Just looked on Amazon and I really want to pick up the book--BUT the 3rd Edition is coming out in Feb... Don't want to wait, but the newer version would be awesome.
dbendixen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:37 PM   #9
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbendixen View Post
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Just looked on Amazon and I really want to pick up the book--BUT the 3rd Edition is coming out in Feb... Don't want to wait, but the newer version would be awesome.
The newer version has a chapter on Blocks and GCD.
(Look on the SK website)
MorphingDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:21 PM   #10
VwTdi09
macrumors newbie

I've found these two classes:

http://marakana.com/training/objecti..._bootcamp.html

http://www.aboutobjects.com/training...nt_bundle.html

Anyone have any experience with either?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming