Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UTball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Knoxville
I currently have 2 Mac computers. One is a 2009 Mac Pro running SL just fine. But I also have a 2006 MacBook black. I did not update the Leopard when it came out, because I just did not care to. And then when Snow Leopard came out I did not want to pay $160 in order to upgrade my laptop because I knew that I was going to be getting the Mac Pro soon.

I am at a point now that I need a laptop again and I am in a tight spot. My mac book works just fine, but it is going to have to be updated in order to even run snow leopard. It only has 1 GB of Ram and an 80GB hard drive. I know that the hard drive is big enough (but it is not practical any more, I mean heck my Mac Pro has 4TB in it compared to the 80GB). I already had to spend $140 on a new battery for the laptop recently so I have already put that money into the Mac Book.

But I had these 2 questions.

1 - Will it be possible to upgrade to Lion from Tiger (not thinking about the computer specs because I would update them in order to run Lion).

2 - Would it be more cost effective to just buy a new laptop next June or whenever they get updated next?

I expect to be putting 3-400 more into the laptop in order to get it up to speed (RAM, HD, and OSX).

So what are peoples thoughts on spending 400 to upgrade or spending 1500 to get a new laptop?

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Not sure where the $160 comes for the upgrade to SL? SL system requirements is 1GB of ram and I have to say it runs pretty decent on just that.

UTball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Knoxville
I am an idiot

It has been so long since SL came out that I forgot about all the stories of how it only cost $29. I would post links, but that would take days. Thanks for the reminder guys. It answers my question for me, in that I will def stick will my macbook rather getting a new laptop. Save a crap ton of money that way. I made enough of an investment with the Mac Pro no need to give Apple even more of my money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.