Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

131343-att_iphone_customer.jpg

Bloomberg reports on AT&T's preparations for the loss of iPhone exclusivity in the United States, which has been claimed by some sources to be coming at the end of the year. According to the report, AT&T's recent announcements regarding the addition of a plethora of new Android and Windows Phone 7 handsets is being accompanied by a significant retraining of its staff to handle the shift from the iPhone focus to a broader platform of offerings.
AT&T Inc., facing the possible loss of its hold on the iPhone, is adding handsets at an accelerating clip and retraining store staff to help reduce reliance on its top-selling smartphone during the holidays.

The company's lineup this year will have ballooned by about 10 smartphones ahead of the holiday season to more than 20, including ones running Microsoft Corp. and Google Inc. software. Yesterday, AT&T reported the effort is showing early success, saying more than half of new customers chose a device other than the iPhone last quarter, up from 36 percent a year earlier.
The shift comes just as AT&T approaches Verizon's subscriber base. AT&T announced yesterday that it had ridden the strength of the iPhone 4 to a net gain of 2.6 million subscribers during the third quarter, giving the company a total of 92.8 million subscribers. Verizon, meanwhile, added just under 1 million new subscribers to reach 93.4 million customers.

Article Link: AT&T Prepares for Loss of iPhone Exclusivity as Subscriber Base Approaches Verizon's

microcolt

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
Once the exclusivity runs out I would really love to see which provider is the best for the iPhone and how they compare in certain situations.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Ummm why does this all even matter? Get whatever phone and service is best for your needs, period! iPhone, Droid, Samsung, whatever. Just enjoy your devices, thats what matters most!

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
This is bound to happen.

Just wish I had not jumped on AT&T iPhone 4 so fast

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I'm really hoping to see some competition between the two to possibly lower prices a bit in the plans.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Will be interesting to see how many people make the switch to Verizon (assuming the rumors of iPhone being available on Verizon are true)... I'll definitely consider it, based on how reception is locally (there are a few dead spots here for AT&T).

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
AT&T is pretty good where I am, so there would have to be a lower price for me to switch to verizon for the iphone.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wonder (a) how many current iPhone owners will switch from AT&T to Verizon and (b) how many new iPhone users there will be. Of course, I'll believe the iPhone will go to Verizon when it actually happens.

I'd also like to see how AT&T's & Verizon's network would handle the shift.

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
AT&T is pretty good where I am, so there would have to be a lower price for me to switch to verizon for the iphone.

Same here, even though I get 0 to 1 bar at my place of work, but good bars everywhere else, they have wifi which still allows me to text to the wife if need be.

I have a feeling the Verizon iPhone will be a little more expensive in plans. $5 more, but you get more data instead of the measly amounts AT&T offers.

Xarthan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
if people jump ship to verizon will at&t peeps see network improvements? :eek:

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
i just hope that they let you browse and talk at the same time. if not i will be sticking with att

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
In be for the theres still no chance the iPhone is coming to verizon people

good more iPhones to sell wohoo

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Ummm why does this all even matter? Get whatever phone and service is best for your needs, period! iPhone, Droid, Samsung, whatever. Just enjoy your devices, thats what matters most!

Ummm, because more options means it'll be more likely that people get what is really best for their needs.

You can't really choose what's "best" for your needs -- you can only choose the best available for your needs. More options makes "best available" closer to "best" for more people.

jjp14

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Sounds good to me! I might jump the bandwagon as I only get 1 to 3 bars in my apartment now and a bunch of dropped calls :(

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I am glad AT&T is focusing on smart phones other than the iPhone. There are a lot of people out there me being one of them who do not want an iPhone but have to or want to stay with AT&T.
AT&T pretty much carriered crap non-iPhone smart phone except for the blackberry.

It is nice to see AT&T to focus on something other than blackberry and iPhone.

toujames

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Just make it happen, Apple!:apple:
Im tired of Verizon iPhone rumors!

Its almost like the time when the iPad was coming out. :D

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Well...

I'm holding strong to my prediction from June/2010 where I stated that I think its coming to Verizon by Jan. 31st of next year.

My fiance's Verizon (and its 3G) works in all of the areas we travel, unlike my t-mobile dumb phone. (I can't wait to join the 21st century). From Phoenix to the Adirondack mountains in NY state, she always has service and never drops calls. So, with any luck I'll be getting a Verizon iPhone on January 31st.

I already have $211.00 in my "iPhone Coin Jar". Can't wait to cash in!!

I just looked at my join date. I guess it was July-2010 when I officially posted my prediction. Oh well...

Sticman

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2008
Analyst have been singing this song for over 4 years, can we give it a rest?

No one is forcing you to read these Verizon-related posts. Anytime there's a new one you voluntarily jump in and pound your chest "There's not going to be a Verizon iphone". You don't seem to like these threads, so why don't you just ignore them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.