Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marchellobb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
I found one for sale for 300$, broken disc drive.

I went to try it out and i couldnt seem to do anything with it, youtube shuts off safari (works if java is turned on but i cant watch videos anyway), all sites seem disproportioned and assorted oddly.

Could I upgrade it to Leopard from my leopard CD that came with my 13'' uni (which was stolen)?

Is the price too steep? I dont need a heavy duty machine, just something that will run fine.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You can't use the grey Restore DVDs on any other Mac than the one it they came with or the exact same model.

Btw, that machine is quite old and will not be able to properly play YouTube Flash videos or any other bigger Flash videos.

Have you tried a newer version of Safari or another browser?

And to install Leopard onto it, you need to buy the Retail version via eBay, which still costs around 129 USD.

marchellobb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
You can't use the grey Restore DVDs on any other Mac than the one it they came with or the exact same model.

Oh... So i'd have to pay 150$ for a leopard cd?

Will it work alright with 1gb or ram or will it be even more ******? Will leopard fix the issues with the websites and make the computer a bit faster?

Also how would I install it if the DVD drive is broken?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Oh... So i'd have to pay 150$ for a leopard cd?
129 USD or maybe a bit less sometimes and if you are lucky.

Will it work alright with 1gb or ram or will it be even more ******? Will leopard fix the issues with the websites and make the computer a bit faster?
It will work alright, but more RAM is never bad. A newer browser version of what browser you use, compatible with the OS version you run, might fix the issue.

Also how would I install it if the DVD drive is broken?
External Optical Disc Drive (ODD) via Firewire.

marchellobb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
So basically it'd all come down to near 500$. I might as well just spit out more cash and get a 2006+ white or blackbook then i suppose

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Actually, you can use the restore discs on other Macs, because a pretty universal OS X is installed on it. In your case, you cant do this because the uni is an Intel, and that OS X wont work eith the PowerPC. You can also install it by using the uni's DVD drive in FW target mode.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
So basically it'd all come down to near 500$. I might as well just spit out more cash and get a 2006+ white or blackbook then i suppose

Yep, agree with you completely. If the CD drive were working and it had a working battery & both original video cables and the RAM was maxed to 1.25 GB then I would consider paying $300.

d4nn0

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Canada
Offer half the price.

I just refurb'ed my old PBook, exact same spec, and am really happy with it (although I wouldn't have paid $300 for it admittedly). Can you borrow a friend's machine to do a network install of Leopard?

After doing a fresh install of Leopard on my G4, I find that YouTube runs fine in Firefox, along with iLife and iWork '09 apps. (I have the ram at 1.25GB though.) You can pick up 1GB of PC2700 on eBay for ~$40. For less than $200, I'd say the machine's worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.