Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I downloaded some source code that has some of its documentation in TeX files and can't seem to find a good viewer for such files. I've tried OS X's TextEdit and that is ok but you have to sort through the formatting tags. I've tried BBEdit and that is better as many of the sections are delimited so it is easier but you are still stuck viewing the formatting tags and the images are still included by reference pointing to a sub-folder.

Can someone recommend a good TeX file viewer? I searched and must be missing the obvious.

TIA

Dave

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
You need to actually typeset the document to see it as it's supposed to be. It's very strange that they would only give you the .tex files but I guess it's possible. The links above might help, I'm unfamiliar. I use MacTeX but it's a couple Gb to just do this. If you want, attach a ZIP file with the .tex files and associated folders with content. I'll typeset it myself and post a pdf. Good luck.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
lyx looked promising so I installed it. I thought I'd try to see if it would work without the TeX download but no such luck so I downloaded the 1+ GB (took a while over my DSL line) MacTeX and re-ran the LyX installer script. It recognized the MacTeX installation but no luck.

That said, the files now open in some of the programs that came with MacTeX but they are editors and nothing to generate a decent preview. The one file I tried in LaTeXit had errors when I tried to LaTeX it.

Kufford, the files are about 10 megs when zipped and may have errors. Do you still want to try?

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
I downloaded some source code that has some of its documentation in TeX files and can't seem to find a good viewer for such files. I've tried OS X's TextEdit and that is ok but you have to sort through the formatting tags. I've tried BBEdit and that is better as many of the sections are delimited so it is easier but you are still stuck viewing the formatting tags and the images are still included by reference pointing to a sub-folder.

Can someone recommend a good TeX file viewer? I searched and must be missing the obvious.

TIA

Dave

TeXShop

Or just typeset with latex or pdflatex on the command line.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Not with a TeX editor. I like TeXShop or emacs.

Yeah, not sure about that. See the upper lefthand corner ofTeXShop? Typeset?

OP: You can post it here, if it will letyou. Or email it to me at kufford (at) me.com.

Thanks...

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Each has their preference. For me, Smultron makes a good reader (the tex files still show the format commands but the coloring makes it easy to read through them). Thanks for the tips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.