Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Maclver
macrumors 68000

Death of Finder?

Just re-watched the portion of the keynote about Lion and I kinda struck me that with launch pad could we see the end of Finder? Because to me finder just shows you apps, files, etc everywhere on your mac and potentially launch pad does the same thing! Am I alone in this?
Maclver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:44 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclver View Post
Just re-watched the portion of the keynote about Lion and I kinda struck me that with launch pad could we see the end of Finder? Because to me finder just shows you apps, files, etc everywhere on your mac and potentially launch pad does the same thing! Am I alone in this?
I don't think Finder will go away. It will still be needed to browse the file directory for things that the Launchpad would not be used for, such as preference files. Finder allows us to drill down deep into the OS whereas from what I saw in the demo, Launchpad is just another way to quickly load apps or files that you would use frequently.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:53 PM   #3
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

I don't see it going completely away. I can definitely see it becoming like the terminal though in the sense that only PowerUsers use it and Apple hides it away.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:57 PM   #4
zap2
macrumors 604

I think the poster above who said it might be for power users has the general idea, or at least it will become less used by the average users even if he or she will need to get ther once in a while.

I think OS X will move towards the iOS way of doing things, with them being simpler, but it can only simplify things so much until OS X loses functionality(and Apple knows this and how much it would hurt sales, so they won't do it)
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2 View Post
I think the poster above who said it might be for power users has the general idea, or at least it will become less used by the average users even if he or she will need to get ther once in a while.
By hiding, I meant moving it to the LaunchPad. I agree with you.

Quote:
I think OS X will move towards the iOS way of doing things, with them being simpler, but it can only simplify things so much until OS X loses functionality(and Apple knows this and how much it would hurt sales, so they won't do it)
I'm with you on this one.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:16 PM   #6
The JTizzle
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to The JTizzle Send a message via MSN to The JTizzle Send a message via Skype™ to The JTizzle
or maybe it's just being hidden because it's still being re-tooled for 10.7 and wasn't ready for the 1st small sneak preview event.
TV 2 & 3
The JTizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Maclver
macrumors 68000

I can't wait to see more.. Hopefully we see a beta soon.... how long after Leopard or Snow leopards "preview" did it take to get it to get into the hands of developers?
Maclver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:10 PM   #8
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Anyone remember the old school "At Ease" back in the 90s?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Ease
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:16 PM   #9
goobot
macrumors 601

it will be for your favorite apps. finder is still for system stuff, folders, and files.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:22 PM   #10
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymouthbreezer View Post

I don't remember it as I was a Windows user from 95-XP (wasn't a fan of System during that period) but that's definitely relevant. Great comparison.

Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:05 AM   #11
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
I don't remember it as I was a Windows user from 95-XP (wasn't a fan of System during that period) but that's definitely relevant. Great comparison.
Yeah. It's interesting, and will clearly appeal to some users who like a simplified and easy to navigate GUI.

I however, will stick with good ol' Finder.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:53 AM   #12
DaWooster
macrumors member

Quote:

Man, what's old is new again. It's funny how many things viewed as revolutionary have already been introduced to us but in different packaging.
DaWooster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:12 AM   #13
talmy
macrumors 68040

Finder appears in the Dock on the Lion preview. You still need it for file manipulation, and you don't even need it now for launching applications as you can either put the Application folder in the dock or use Spotlight to launch any application. (I, for one, never use Finder for application launching!)
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:44 AM   #14
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Not to go off topic, but what is the point of Launcher?

Isn't the Dock for having your most frequently used apps? If you want to caterogize apps, couldn't you just make a folder for said group & place it in the Dock? It would take less clicks to access your "Games" folder as opposed to clicking Launcher and then navigating to the "Games" homescreen.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:10 AM   #15
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I don't think Finder will go away. It will still be needed to browse the file directory for things that the Launchpad would not be used for, such as preference files. Finder allows us to drill down deep into the OS whereas from what I saw in the demo, Launchpad is just another way to quickly load apps or files that you would use frequently.
Yes but it could be reduced to just a file browser application.

Each time you open a finder window it could be a completely separate application instance, normal App to App copyPaste would deal with moving file between windows.

So one isn't tied up by another a stall in one network service won't effect everything else. Similar to Fuse, each type of file system or network share would have a specially geared application. A special "SideBar" Application would look after launching new instances to suit media types. Because each is it's own app you can park them in the dock and they'll always remember how you wanted them to be.

That would be my take.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:14 AM   #16
Corndog5595
macrumors 65816

Quote:
however, will stick with good ol' Finder.
Correction; adequate ol' Finder.
Corndog5595 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:44 PM   #17
hachre
macrumors 6502a

In a perfect world there is no need for Finder. But it will definitely not be gone from 10.7.

The Steve Jobs way of looking at things has always been to remove files and let Applications handle their documents and content themselves. If you wanna continue on your Book, you open Pages and select it there. If you wanna listen to music you go into iTunes and choose what you wanna listen to. iPhoto, etc... Just look at how iOS is built usage-wise.

This is how Steve Jobs wanted to do things since the beginning. I think we will get there eventually and I agree that it is a far more intuitive way of doing things than having to handle files manually. Handling files is something the computer should be doing for you, not the other way around.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:50 PM   #18
Corndog5595
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachre View Post
In a perfect world there is no need for Finder. But it will definitely not be gone from 10.7.

The Steve Jobs way of looking at things has always been to remove files and let Applications handle their documents and content themselves. If you wanna continue on your Book, you open Pages and select it there. If you wanna listen to music you go into iTunes and choose what you wanna listen to. iPhoto, etc... Just look at how iOS is built usage-wise.

This is how Steve Jobs wanted to do things since the beginning. I think we will get there eventually and I agree that it is a far more intuitive way of doing things than having to handle files manually. Handling files is something the computer should be doing for you, not the other way around.
I understand this, but what makes a computer feel like a computer is the fact that you have access to the file system. Sure, I'd be fine if by 10.8 they have file storing and handling like this, but I don't want Finder to go away.
I'd like it to be like Terminal: You only use it if you want/need to use it.
Corndog5595 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:54 PM   #19
hachre
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog5595 View Post
I understand this, but what makes a computer feel like a computer is the fact that you have access to the file system. Sure, I'd be fine if by 10.8 they have file storing and handling like this, but I don't want Finder to go away.
I'd like it to be like Terminal: You only use it if you want/need to use it.
Yeah I also think that in such a capacity, similarly to Terminal, it won't go away soon. But it won't be an integral part of the desktop usage paradigm anymore at some point in the future.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:10 PM   #20
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachre View Post

The Steve Jobs way of looking at things has always been to remove files and let Applications handle their documents and content themselves.
This is an application-centric way of looking at things, which works well for some uses, but if you are a project-based creator you have a collection of files that are operated on by potentially many programs (and some files by multiple programs) for which a file/folder-centric approach works best. Frankly, without a folder hierarchy for organization I'd be in trouble. I've got 99,000 files in my "Projects" folder now, and that doesn't include photos (in a separate folder hierarchy), video clips (another folder hierarchy managed by iMovie), and email.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:05 AM   #21
Deefuzz
macrumors 6502a

I can't see Finder going away, for many reasons addressed here in this thread.

I understand the desire to have files managed by the programs themselves, but what about someone who is working on something on multiple environments.

Sometimes I do some image editing work on my MacBook Pro, sometimes I need to use those files on my iMac, sometimes I bring in stuff to work with me on the PC. Without access to the file system how do I copy off the files I need to work on to use on other systems? I've been working on some programming and those files I need to not only be able to move between machines, but sometimes I need to use on completely different IDE's, I need access to the file system to grab those too.

OS X also does not have a document management program built into it. If you want Pages or Word you have to buy that separately. So what about little text documents I need to create? Maintain those with Textedit? Where do I keep my directory of images I use for various desktop backgrounds?

I know these are some trivial examples/tasks, but they are reasons why someone like me in particular would still have a need for Finder. What I didn't like about Lion was the feeling like it was trying to start shoehorning iOS into OS X, but I just don't think that they would move towards a complete shift in converting OS X into iOS.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:48 PM   #22
lynkynpark86
macrumors 6502

Location: Maine, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe
Quote:

I used to despise the mac os because I thought it was for "the worlds idiots". Then for a while I forced to use macs, and after using them, discovering xcode, terminal, etc, I realized that it isn't overly simplified, and can actually be used for more that email and music. This is the reason I'm still using Mac OS X today. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that there are many people just like me, that use macs for technical things. Apple doesn't want to make OS X like the wii (requires difficult and possibly illegal modification to even see the file system), because they will loose many customers to Windows. Bottom line, apple looses finder, they loose 30%+ of their sales.
lynkynpark86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:32 PM   #23
Kristenn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkynpark86 View Post
I used to despise the mac os because I thought it was for "the worlds idiots". Then for a while I forced to use macs, and after using them, discovering xcode, terminal, etc, I realized that it isn't overly simplified, and can actually be used for more that email and music. This is the reason I'm still using Mac OS X today. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that there are many people just like me, that use macs for technical things. Apple doesn't want to make OS X like the wii (requires difficult and possibly illegal modification to even see the file system), because they will loose many customers to Windows. Bottom line, apple looses finder, they loose 30%+ of their sales.
This!

I can't imagine the Finder ever disappearing at all. Maybe it will be used less but it has to stay there. Its been there since the beginning of the Macintosh. If Apple removed the Finder it would be like Microsoft removing the Windows Explorer. A complete disaster!
Kristenn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:41 PM   #24
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
I think that 10.7 is going to put a lot of peer pressure on Developers to release their apps for the Mac App store. Transitioning to self-contained applications is the way of the future as I see.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 03:13 AM   #25
jeffy.dee-lux
macrumors 6502a

I'm usually the one rolling my eyes at the people who are reluctant to let go of the old every time an OS update comes out, but this time I'm right there with them. LaunchPad seems really redundant to me. I mean, just look at the screenshot they have of it:

How many of the icons shown on LaunchPad there are sitting a few inches below in the dock? I guess the idea is to have all the apps available in LaunchPad, but isn't that just the Apps folder?? I've been putting my Apps folder in the doc since 10.2, maybe they just need to make that more official. But I guess this could all go along with them trying to push more of a market for more and more Apps.
Anyway, all this talk of killing the Finder sounds silly to me, it doesn't sound like progress at all. It only sounds like making things more constrained and inconvenient. I'd say less than half the files I use fall nicely into the simple categories like "Music", "Photos" and "Documents". I have folders dedicated to certain aspects of what I do, and those folders will contain a mix of all sorts of different things. For example, one project I work on has its dedicated folder. That folder contains word documents, PDFs, spreadsheets, pictures, presentations, poster layouts, sound files, movies, data files in .txt format... I don't want to have to access all those different files by first opening their respective apps. I think that would be a step in the opposite direction from the CoverFlow/QuickView stuff they added recently where you can access things in a folder quickly WITHOUT needing to open the dedicated App. And often i have files that I need to open with multiple different apps depending on what I'm doing. I really think the Finder needs to stick around in order to handle this kind of stuff without being completely clumsy.
jeffy.dee-lux is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion