Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagger27

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
To all of you asking if software a, b, or c will run on your shiny new MacBook Airs: yes, It will. Buy more RAM and chances are it will run better.

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2010
that's the spirit.

These ssds that pretty much double and triple the speeds of available ssds in macbook pros and imacs are all the rage.

And 4gbs of ram is plenty for most so far. (granted it's not future proof so much and for some minority it might not be enough, but we can't have it all now can we)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
These ssds that pretty much double and triple the speeds of available ssds in macbook pros and imacs are all the rage.

They are exactly the same. SSDs used in MBPs and iMacs are Toshiba HG2s and the controller used in them is T6UG1XBG, the same what can be found in MBA. MBAs may have newer firmware resulting better performance but the difference between them is not dramatical.

kingsal

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
And 4gbs of ram is plenty for most so far. (granted it's not future proof so much and for some minority it might not be enough, but we can't have it all now can we)

Agreed. I think "future-proofing" technology is a losing battle anyway and quite expensive. If you want to "future proof," just buy the middle-of-the-line computer now, save the $$$ on upgrades (with RAM being the exception), and buy a new one when you feel the need.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
There's nothing you can throw at a MBA that won't run. It's whether or not it will run well. For example, I wouldn't want to try raiding in WoW, on a low end 11" Air. That doesn't mean I can't, but that it's not recommended. Similarly, app developers would be better off getting a MBP, as it has a much faster CPU. Obviously xcode will run, but will it run well?

Just because you can run Word without trouble doesn't mean the MBA can do everything well.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
There's nothing you can throw at a MBA that won't run. It's whether or not it will run well. For example, I wouldn't want to try raiding in WoW, on a low end 11" Air. That doesn't mean I can't, but that it's not recommended. Similarly, app developers would be better off getting a MBP, as it has a much faster CPU. Obviously xcode will run, but will it run well?

Just because you can run Word without trouble doesn't mean the MBA can do everything well.

I'm sure Word (2011) would run well.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
But the question a certain someone hasn't addressed yet is:

WILL IT BLEND!?!?!?

My bet is on yes.... ;-)

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005

XCode ran perfectly fine on my Rev A MBA, so I imagine it would be great on one of the new ones. It is actually not a very CPU intensive app, since its main function is just compiling code.

I know Wil Shipley, developer of Delicious Library, codes on a MBA.

TheAngryKiwi

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Auckland, NZ
In one of the other threads someone mentioned that Word 2008 launched on a store 11.6' in 3 seconds or so.

THAT, to me, demonstrates how zippy they are. Word 2008, like the rest of Office 2008, is an appalling pig and has taken upwards of 10 seconds on any Mac I've seen.

MrBellamy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
In one of the other threads someone mentioned that Word 2008 launched on a store 11.6' in 3 seconds or so.

THAT, to me, demonstrates how zippy they are. Word 2008, like the rest of Office 2008, is an appalling pig and has taken upwards of 10 seconds on any Mac I've seen.

Yah I dread when ever I have to open Word. Haha having both Word 08, and Pages the text editor i use most is TextEdit cause its instantly up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.