Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Jkarman8
macrumors newbie

Formatting MacBook Air Software Reinstall Drive

So, I just received my new MacBook Air 11" and love it! Though I no longer want the USB Software Reinstall Drive to contain the 10.6 and iLife '11 and I am looking for a way to format the USB thumb drive into a usable flash drive. I tried using the disk utility, but it only sees the drive like a CD containing the information and not like a flash drive, eliminating the simple option to just use the disk utility to erase.

Hoping that someone can help me use this neat looking USB drive for something more than a piece of plastic I never pull back out of my box.

Thanks for the ideas in advance!
Jkarman8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:33 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'd give it a little longer, I'm sure someone will figure out what to do. However, you may be sorry if you ever need to reinstall your OS.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
alust2013
macrumors 68040

It's formatted to be read-only(unchangeable), so you're out of luck there. It is always a good idea to keep a restore disk (or drive in your case). Flash drives are pretty cheap, so if you need one, go pick up a 4GB drive for $20
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Jkarman8
macrumors newbie

Yeah, not too worried about the need for the restore drive, since my brother bought one at the same time; and I have multiple flash drives, but as nerdy as it may be, something about an Apple flash drive is pretty cool to me. I just figured since it was a flash drive, I'd be able to somehow format it, even though it is read-only, perhaps a third party program?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:21 PM   #5
David085
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkarman8 View Post
Yeah, not too worried about the need for the restore drive, since my brother bought one at the same time; and I have multiple flash drives, but as nerdy as it may be, something about an Apple flash drive is pretty cool to me. I just figured since it was a flash drive, I'd be able to somehow format it, even though it is read-only, perhaps a third party program?
Let us know if you find a third party program to format the flash drive just curious if is possible.
David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Jkarman8
macrumors newbie

The drive is definitely read-only and I haven't had much luck finding any programs that will be able to format it, any suggestions?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:10 AM   #7
David085
Banned

Quote:
The drive is definitely read-only and I haven't had much luck finding any programs that will be able to format it, any suggestions?
yeah let me have your macbook air is my only suggestion j/k
David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:27 AM   #8
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I doubt there ever will be a way around it. The read-only functionality is imbedded in the hardware. I've received similar write only flash drives containing promotional materials, and computers basically see them as CDs. I don't think you can bypass it.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:46 AM   #9
vasusri
macrumors newbie

There is a way.., checkout this link:

http://mckaywei.com/how-to-format-ma...nd-restore-it/
vasusri is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help