Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Any thoughts on how VirtualBox compares to the Fusion and Parallels versions? I think VirtualBox would be a nice free alternative if you are running Windows in Bootcamp.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Any thoughts on how VirtualBox compares to the Fusion and Parallels versions? I think VirtualBox would be a nice free alternative if you are running Windows in Bootcamp.

I ran a XP VM on Virtual Box with 2 GB of RAM on my Macbook. I assigned 512 MB to Windows, it ran smooth as silk. Now that I upgraded the RAM to 4GB on the Macbook, I gave the VM 1 GB.

VMs seriously don't require tons of ressources. The overhead is minimal. Anyone worried about this is fussing over nothing. We ran VMWare back in the days of 500 mhz processor and 256 MB of RAM and even before that. There is nothing to worry about.

And I agree with you, VirtualBox is a no brainer. Unless you're into pirating, Free wins out.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
That's good to know! Will VirtualBox pick up my Bootcamp partition like Parallels and run smoothly? I think the advantage of Parallels is that it seems more user friendly. I am asking all this and I do not even have my MacBook Air to test it out!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.