Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:15 AM   #1
deimos256
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Netflix viewing offline?

I'm considering getting Netflix but I have one question. I know with an iPhone or iPad you can stream movies and shows but I have a wifi only iPad and no wifi at work. Is there any way to cache a movie on my iPad for offline viewing? Thanks for any help.
__________________
I'm a PC, and I'm not an elitist who assumes you must be beneath me for owning anything else but.
deimos256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:17 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
The purpose of netflix is to allow online streaming of a good chunk of their content. There's no way (maybe in the jailbreak community) to buffer and store the entire show/movie to allow for offline viewing. Your best bet is to stream where you can, buy and rip to your iPad if need be.

If everyone could save netflix content then there'd be little reason to buy DVDs.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:55 AM   #3
deimos256
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Well that's not a huge deal because I can just use my iPhone. One more question, say I took my iPad to my girlfriends could I hook my iPad up to the tv and stream to my iPad? I read that trying to play movies from an iPad on a tv gets blocked or is that only iTunes content?
__________________
I'm a PC, and I'm not an elitist who assumes you must be beneath me for owning anything else but.
deimos256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:59 PM   #4
jeniferkey
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I frequently stream netflix on my ipad connected to my tv, or other people's tv. The wifi or network connection can cause issues, but generally it's satisfactory.
jeniferkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 07:00 PM   #5
DurfDiggler
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
TEMPORARYILY cache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
The purpose of netflix is to allow online streaming of a good chunk of their content...
If everyone could save netflix content then there'd be little reason to buy DVDs.
I disagree, since I am paying for the ability to stream this content to my device, I don't see the harm in letting me cache it within the netflix app, for a short period of time, say, 7 days to start watching it, then 24 hours to finish it once you press play.

The only issue would be the bandwidth speed. That's the trick with streaming, you can dynamically change the datarate of the video/audio based on the speed of the connection. If one were to "rent" a video from Netflix Streaming, then I would assume download it at the highest quality, which would take a longer time to download, and more data would be transfered, which could cost Netflix and/or your ISP an extra $0.00001/year. They could just limit the quality/file size.

Adding this feature to the Netflix app would not take much time to code, but it would be a useful feature that would not gain them much money, so they won't do it. The app is slow, and the interface (browsing) is crap to begin with, but people still pay the service fees. So why would they waste the man power giving us something we aren't complaining about, and are seemingly happy with?
DurfDiggler is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 12:58 PM   #6
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a
 
btbrossard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurfDiggler View Post
Adding this feature to the Netflix app would not take much time to code, but it would be a useful feature that would not gain them much money, so they won't do it. The app is slow, and the interface (browsing) is crap to begin with, but people still pay the service fees. So why would they waste the man power giving us something we aren't complaining about, and are seemingly happy with?
Even if Netflix wanted you to be able to cache content for a short period, the content owners would never allow it.
__________________
2011 27" iMac i5 2011 13" MacBook Pro i5 2010 macMini C2D Server 2005 12" PowerBook G4 1.5
btbrossard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:46 PM   #7
plughie
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sunny California
That is a shame, because I spend 4 hours a day on a train with sketchy to non-existent network availability, and it sure would be nice to catch up on some of my Netflix backlog.
plughie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by plughie View Post
That is a shame, because I spend 4 hours a day on a train with sketchy to non-existent network availability, and it sure would be nice to catch up on some of my Netflix backlog.
I have never tried this, but I am wondering if you could stream a NF movie and use a screen capture utility to save a local copy of the movie? Not sure how the quality would be though.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:22 AM   #9
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a
 
A Hebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I have never tried this, but I am wondering if you could stream a NF movie and use a screen capture utility to save a local copy of the movie? Not sure how the quality would be though.
Very doable. The quality will be equal to the quality it is streaming assuming a decent video capture device. Note that this is illegal.
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air | 2012 27" iMac | iPad 3 | iPhone 5
A Hebrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
Very doable. The quality will be equal to the quality it is streaming assuming a decent video capture device. Note that this is illegal.
I did not mean using a hardware device. I meant using QT or similar to just make a video of what is being displayed on the screen.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:41 AM   #11
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a
 
A Hebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I did not mean using a hardware device. I meant using QT or similar to just make a video of what is being displayed on the screen.
I was referring to software when I said that..probably shouldn't have put device at the end...
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air | 2012 27" iMac | iPad 3 | iPhone 5
A Hebrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:38 PM   #12
saberahul
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: On my iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I did not mean using a hardware device. I meant using QT or similar to just make a video of what is being displayed on the screen.
Yes you can do this using QT and the quality will be almost identical (if saved in full) to what you see (with a huge file size). However, as mentioned earlier, this is illegal unless you have written consent from the publisher allowing this.

Netflix is online viewing only. I've had it for 2 years now and day by day I hate it more as their content isn't the best out there. That's me though, may not apply to you.
__________________
iPhone • iPad • MacBook Pro
saberahul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:14 AM   #13
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Not sure how the quality would be though.
As always with video: depends on the encoding.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safari couldn’t Save a Webpage for Offline Viewing Jingol OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Apr 28, 2014 11:04 AM
Offline Viewing Netflix storychristoph iOS 7 3 Sep 18, 2013 10:40 AM
RSS reader with Image Cache for Offline viewing? jman995x Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 May 28, 2013 02:25 PM
Making PDF files available for viewing offline mark9121 iOS 6 2 Oct 31, 2012 05:01 PM
Save an entire website for offline viewing? Redjericho iPad Apps 8 Sep 12, 2012 09:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC