Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I'm considering getting Netflix but I have one question. I know with an iPhone or iPad you can stream movies and shows but I have a wifi only iPad and no wifi at work. Is there any way to cache a movie on my iPad for offline viewing? Thanks for any help.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The purpose of netflix is to allow online streaming of a good chunk of their content. There's no way (maybe in the jailbreak community) to buffer and store the entire show/movie to allow for offline viewing. Your best bet is to stream where you can, buy and rip to your iPad if need be.

If everyone could save netflix content then there'd be little reason to buy DVDs.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Well that's not a huge deal because I can just use my iPhone. One more question, say I took my iPad to my girlfriends could I hook my iPad up to the tv and stream to my iPad? I read that trying to play movies from an iPad on a tv gets blocked or is that only iTunes content?

jeniferkey

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
I frequently stream netflix on my ipad connected to my tv, or other people's tv. The wifi or network connection can cause issues, but generally it's satisfactory.

DurfDiggler

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
TEMPORARYILY cache?

The purpose of netflix is to allow online streaming of a good chunk of their content...
If everyone could save netflix content then there'd be little reason to buy DVDs.

I disagree, since I am paying for the ability to stream this content to my device, I don't see the harm in letting me cache it within the netflix app, for a short period of time, say, 7 days to start watching it, then 24 hours to finish it once you press play.

The only issue would be the bandwidth speed. That's the trick with streaming, you can dynamically change the datarate of the video/audio based on the speed of the connection. If one were to "rent" a video from Netflix Streaming, then I would assume download it at the highest quality, which would take a longer time to download, and more data would be transfered, which could cost Netflix and/or your ISP an extra $0.00001/year. They could just limit the quality/file size.

Adding this feature to the Netflix app would not take much time to code, but it would be a useful feature that would not gain them much money, so they won't do it. The app is slow, and the interface (browsing) is crap to begin with, but people still pay the service fees. So why would they waste the man power giving us something we aren't complaining about, and are seemingly happy with?

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Adding this feature to the Netflix app would not take much time to code, but it would be a useful feature that would not gain them much money, so they won't do it. The app is slow, and the interface (browsing) is crap to begin with, but people still pay the service fees. So why would they waste the man power giving us something we aren't complaining about, and are seemingly happy with?
Even if Netflix wanted you to be able to cache content for a short period, the content owners would never allow it.

plughie

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Sunny California
That is a shame, because I spend 4 hours a day on a train with sketchy to non-existent network availability, and it sure would be nice to catch up on some of my Netflix backlog.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That is a shame, because I spend 4 hours a day on a train with sketchy to non-existent network availability, and it sure would be nice to catch up on some of my Netflix backlog.

I have never tried this, but I am wondering if you could stream a NF movie and use a screen capture utility to save a local copy of the movie? Not sure how the quality would be though.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I have never tried this, but I am wondering if you could stream a NF movie and use a screen capture utility to save a local copy of the movie? Not sure how the quality would be though.

Very doable. The quality will be equal to the quality it is streaming assuming a decent video capture device. Note that this is illegal.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Very doable. The quality will be equal to the quality it is streaming assuming a decent video capture device. Note that this is illegal.

I did not mean using a hardware device. I meant using QT or similar to just make a video of what is being displayed on the screen.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I did not mean using a hardware device. I meant using QT or similar to just make a video of what is being displayed on the screen.

Yes you can do this using QT and the quality will be almost identical (if saved in full) to what you see (with a huge file size). However, as mentioned earlier, this is illegal unless you have written consent from the publisher allowing this.

Netflix is online viewing only. I've had it for 2 years now and day by day I hate it more as their content isn't the best out there. That's me though, may not apply to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.