Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
If so, please post your impressesions! Do you use it alone or with external keyboard/mouse/monitor? Is it 11" or 13"? How would you characterize its speed compared to your previous machine?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm wondering this as well. I am currently using an i7 MBP but am looking at the 11.6" as a more portable machine to take where ever I go and use the MBP as more of a desktop machine that I can still move around if necessary.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
I'll let you know when my 11" shows up on Wednesday :)

I usually use the desktop for development, but occasionally I used my MacBook. It will be interesting to see how the iPad simulator fits on that tiny screen haha.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Sweet, please report back! I am curious if a maxed out 13" with external LCD would work well for development.

jamone13

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2010
Sweet, please report back! I am curious if a maxed out 13" with external LCD would work well for development.

I have a BTO maxed 13" on the way, moving down from a 17", I have a 24" external screen for heavy work, along with a Magic mouse. I had a 13" MacBook before my 17" and found it worked fine for dev work, especially with the 24" when at the desk. When I had the 13" I used it quite a bit away from my desk. A couch is a nice place to program from.

DouzeDix

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Developping with MBA 11"

If so, please post your impressesions! Do you use it alone or with external keyboard/mouse/monitor? Is it 11" or 13"? How would you characterize its speed compared to your previous machine?

Just got my 11" on Saturday and love it. Here is a screenshot of me working on my little Lngo app.

Almost the same resolution as my old 13" macbook and blazing fast (thanks to SSD storage). iPhone simulator fits perfectly in height !

Attachments

• capture.png
    capture.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 974

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Just got my 11" on Saturday and love it. Here is a screenshot of me working on my little Lngo app.

Almost the same resolution as my old 13" macbook and blazing fast (thanks to SSD storage). iPhone simulator fits perfectly in height !

Can you show how the iPad simulator looks at 50%? I have been doing a bit of iPad development so it would be nice to see how it fits.

How long are compile times compared to your old machine?

EDIT: Also, do you have 2 or 4 gigs of ram in it? and did you go with the 64GB or 128GB drive?

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID

I think the dock on the right/left side is a good move for this machine. It'll be interesting to try and get used to that haha

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003

Love the picture, thanks,

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
I will actually use my 11" once it arrives primarily for XCode development. I love to code on the go.:D

Wow! That looks so perfect!

DouzeDix

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Can you show how the iPad simulator looks at 50%? I have been doing a bit of iPad development so it would be nice to see how it fits.

How long are compile times compared to your old machine?

EDIT: Also, do you have 2 or 4 gigs of ram in it? and did you go with the 64GB or 128GB drive?

Here is a screenshot with iPad simulator at 50%. Small but usable thanks to the high resolution. Maybe they should provide another size, like 70% to fit this screen better...

I got the entry level MBA : 1.4GHz/2GB. Compile time seem pretty fast compared to my previous 2.4GHz macbook. But did'nt test with very big project. I think SSD is the key here...

I would strongly recommend the 128GB for those who need to carry a fair amount of photos, videos and music. For now, 2GB of RAM seem sufficient for small projects like mine.

Attachments

• capture.png
    capture.png
    508.1 KB · Views: 560

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Here is a screenshot with iPad simulator at 50%. Small but usable thanks to the high resolution. Maybe they should provide another size, like 70% to fit this screen better...

I got the entry level MBA : 1.4GHz/2GB. Compile time seem pretty fast compared to my previous 2.4GHz macbook. But did'nt test with very big project. I think SSD is the key here...

I would strongly recommend the 128GB for those who need to carry a fair amount of photos, videos and music. For now, 2GB of RAM seem sufficient for small projects like mine.

Can I get a link to your game? It looks kinda neat! Nice UI :)

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
The 11" seems pretty good for coding on the go. Much more convenient than my MacBook. However, the iPad simulator is sorta tough to use.

Overall, I think it will be better than what I've been using. The dual monitor desktop will always be preferred though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.