Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BPD-FLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Jacksonville
I need help - my iTunes (the latest version on a MacBook Pro) is not allowing me to copy music from the library to an iPod.

Most of the music is imported in, not purchased from iTunes. When I drag to load on to the iPod, it says "File Not Found" - I am guessing it is because it is a mp3 not a mp4? I am not sure how it cannot be found, when I can play the song in iTunes on my computer?

Do I need to convert these song files to mp4? If so, what program can I use? I used to use AudioHub before it went away - I have since purchased a new machine and cannot access it any more.

Thanks

FixYouriTunes

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
San Francisco
The first thing I do when I run in to an unexplainable situation like this is to restart the computer. Also make sure the iPod is fully charged etc. Those are all important things to consider.

Inseoul

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
iTunes cannot sync from iPod to library with new laptop

I had an iPod Nano which I sync to my laptop previously. However after I change my laptop to a new Dell laptop, I downloaded iTunes and tried to sync my iPod to this new laptop, but was unsuccessful:

1) iTunes ask "to replace music from this iPod with music in the library". There is no music in the library yet so I was worried this will override all the songs in my iPod
- iTunes only allow sync action from library to iPod but not from existing iPod to music library - why?

2) I tried to open up iTunes using the application copied from my previous laptop but the application will not open

Pls help as I don't know how to backup my songs into my new laptop and my iPod always require restoring and I'm afraid I will lose all my songs

Thanks

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I had an iPod Nano which I sync to my laptop previously. However after I change my laptop to a new Dell laptop, I downloaded iTunes and tried to sync my iPod to this new laptop, but was unsuccessful:

1) iTunes ask "to replace music from this iPod with music in the library". There is no music in the library yet so I was worried this will override all the songs in my iPod
- iTunes only allow sync action from library to iPod but not from existing iPod to music library - why?
Except for those tracks purchased directly on the iPod touch/iPhone, iTunes media syncing is one-way. This was a concession from Apple to the music labels; it helps deter rampant music piracy. So yes, if you had replied "Yes" to that "Replace music...?" question, that would have deleted all your songs off your iPod.

There are ways of getting around this, but I wouldn't bother with it in your case. You still have your music files on your old laptop, right?

2) I tried to open up iTunes using the application copied from my previous laptop but the application will not open

Pls help as I don't know how to backup my songs into my new laptop and my iPod always require restoring and I'm afraid I will lose all my songs

Thanks

Assuming you still have your files on your old laptop, AND you have a USB removable drive (like a USB flash/thumb drive or USB external hard drive), you could copy your music to the USB drive, then from the USB drive to your new laptop. Then, install a fresh copy of iTunes on your new computer-- don't just copy the program, download a fresh copy direct from Apple and install. Make sure it launches, then add the files you've copied over into your Library.

Once you're satisfied that the iTunes library on your new laptop has all your songs, you can then sync your iPod to the new library and safely answer "Yes" to the "Replace music" question.

EDIT: Hold up... that last comment...

Thanks
How old is this iPod? If your iPod always requires restoring, have you considered replacing it with a newer one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.