Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wanted to kno if using a data doubler with a 256gb SSD and already having a 320gb HDD would speed up my MBP? I wanted to format the drives to use SPAN or basically combining space for one big drive. I didn't know if the HDD would slow down the SSD if I did that. Thanks for y'alls help!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I would just use it as two separate drives. Using it as one would probably slow down your speed from the SSD if you did that. It also wouldn't really provide you with much benefit either

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's what I thought. Which items should be on my SSD vs my HDD

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
I'm also considering this kind of hybrid solution. I would make the SSD the boot disk with all your applications, email and frequently accessed files. I would keep less frequently accessed files on the HDD -- these might include larger media files. The other option is to use the 320 HDD as a Time Machine disk.

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I'm also considering this kind of hybrid solution. I would make the SSD the boot disk with all your applications, email and frequently accessed files. I would keep less frequently accessed files on the HDD -- these might include larger media files. The other option is to use the 320 HDD as a Time Machine disk.

How would I make the SSD the boot disk? Steps? And I would like to put Itunes on the SSD because I have about 110GB on itunes in music and at times its slow in accessing my music because there is so much. Is putting the Itunes file on the SSD a solution to that?

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
How would I make the SSD the boot disk? Steps? And I would like to put Itunes on the SSD because I have about 110GB on itunes in music and at times its slow in accessing my music because there is so much. Is putting the Itunes file on the SSD a solution to that?

hmm.. depends. Are you using your SSD as a boot drive or just for storing data

If it's your boot drive than yes... but more than likely you will use most of your Precious SSD space

but define slow.. on my dell I had 12 GB of music and everything played under 2 secs

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
Weird about iTunes. You are saying that navigating in iTunes is slow. Is that the problem?

Well anyway, here are the steps to make your SSD boot disk.

1) Get your current disk down to about 200 GB by deleting or temporarily moving files to something else. If you are really concerned about iTunes and have the space then do not move your music from the disk.

2) Use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the data from the HDD to the SSD

3) Go to Preferences/Startup Disk and select the SSD

4) Reboot system and make sure everything is working well. I would check things out for a few days -- before going to the next step.

5) If you are sure the the new disk is working fine you can delete data from the HDD -- you can even do a full erase if you like

6) Copy data that you previously moved back onto the HDD

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010

Well like 30 seconds slow. I have a lot more than 12 gb. I have 110 gb

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010

miata said:
Weird about iTunes. You are saying that navigating in iTunes is slow. Is that the problem?

1) Get your current disk down to about 200 GB by deleting or temporarily moving files to something else. If you are really concerned about iTunes and have the space then do not move your music from the disk.

2) Use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the data from the HDD to the SSD

4) Reboot system and make sure everything is working well. I would check things out for a few days -- before going to the next step.

5) If you are sure the the new disk is working fine you can delete data from the HDD -- you can even do a full erase if you like

Thanks miata

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010

miata said:

Or say I want to use 2 SSD for a big span drive. How would I create one big span drive?

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth

Or say I want to use 2 SSD for a big span drive. How would I create one big span drive?
You will need to get your data off the system. The easiest thing to do is to pull out the current drive and put it in an external USB2 or Firewire case. The install both drives and use the concatenated option in Disk Utilities. I'm not sure why you would use concatenate rather create a striped RAID set. A striped RAID would be quite a bit faster.

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010

What is the difference between the two?

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth

What is the difference between the two?
Concatenated disks are good if you want to continually adding different sized disks to your system. Striping requires that you erase everything and you need to use two disks of the same size and speed. Striping (RAID 0) will give you much better performance, since your data can be read and written simultaneously to both disks.

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010

Ok. Thats in the disk utility? So then would it be a good idea to do a clean install and only transferring files like iTunes and reinstalling your apps?

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth

Ok. Thats in the disk utility? So then would it be a good idea to do a clean install and only transferring files like iTunes and reinstalling your apps?
You'l find Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder on the Mac.

The best thing to do would be to put your current drive in an external firewire or USB2 enclosure and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything back to the new , fast SSD RAID.

Do a google searc hto find where to download Carbon Copy Cloner.

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010

miata said:

You'l find Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder on the Mac.

The best thing to do would be to put your current drive in an external firewire or USB2 enclosure and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything back to the new , fast SSD RAID.

Do a google searc hto find where to download Carbon Copy Cloner.

I have an external 500gb drive that I'm using for time machine. Could I just use the info on that to clone over to the SSD Raid?

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth

I have an external 500gb drive that I'm using for time machine. Could I just use the info on that to clone over to the SSD Raid?

Unless you are having stability problems and want to do a clean install you can save a lot of time by copying your current system disk. Restoring from Time Machine require you do a clean install of the OS, then you restore the data using the migration assistant, then you have to update all the patches. The migration assistant is pretty good, but you usually have to fix up little things like missing activation serial numbers, etc.

196josue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010

miata said:

Unless you are having stability problems and want to do a clean install you can save a lot of time by copying your current system disk. Restoring from Time Machine require you do a clean install of the OS, then you restore the data using the migration assistant, then you have to update all the patches. The migration assistant is pretty good, but you usually have to fix up little things like missing activation serial numbers, etc.

So then what would be my best option in your opinion. From old HHD or time machine?

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010

Hi, thanks for the useful information. I've just cloned my disk (straight swap for hybrid HD- waiting on what Intel brings come February) yet omitted step 3.

I was hoping for a noticeable difference in boot time (result: none/possibly longer) and think that when booting the computer may still be looking for the absent drive first- just wondering if there is a way to do this now with the disk in situ or has the ship sailed on this one?

Many thanks!

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
Hi, thanks for the useful information. I've just cloned my disk (straight swap for hybrid HD- waiting on what Intel brings come February) yet omitted step 3.

I was hoping for a noticeable difference in boot time (result: none/possibly longer) and think that when booting the computer may still be looking for the absent drive first- just wondering if there is a way to do this now with the disk in situ or has the ship sailed on this one?

Many thanks!
YOu can change your startup disk any time by going to the System Preferences. You can also select at boot time by pushing and holding the option key when you start up.

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
YOu can change your startup disk any time by going to the System Preferences. You can also select at boot time by pushing and holding the option key when you start up.

Thanks miata for getting back so soon (I'd just re-read your post and was restarting before edit.)

Your instructions are very clear. Should have read more carefully,:eek:

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.