Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Hey all,

I'm waiting on a new 13' MBP with the nVidia M320 which should be arriving tomorrow and I am already salivating at the prospect of finally being able to run games decently(upgrading from a macbook with the GMA950).

Im definitely going to be playing WoW and Civilization V when its released, and I am also considering Starcraft 2 even though I've never been too much into the RTS genre.

I am looking for a good Online FPS game. I have many fond memories of playing America's Army back in the day as well as some Counterstrike. I loved America's Army in particular because of the ranking system(honor points) and the heavy tactical gameplay and team coordination involved. I prefer realistic games as opposed to the Quake style run around and jump all over the place type FPS'. . .

I am considering Team Fortress 2, it looks awesome, albeit a bit cartoony for my tastes and Im not sure if it has a ranking system for players or if its tactical. . . Im not to fussed about single player campaigns either. . .

I guess Im trying to see if anyone could suggest anything worth looking at, preferably that runs natively in OS X.

Cheers

EDIT: I've searched the forums a bit and found some useful threads but I have also been out of the loop when it comes to gaming for quite a while. . . Looking forward to everyone's input.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
If you have fond memories of CounterStrike, then how about Counterstrike source?

Definitely looking into it as well, but wanted to see if there was anything new I should try. . . But yeah Im definitely going to be getting source.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Left 4 Dead 2 is pretty awesome, but it's obviously not the same as the other games you listed. But you really have to work together in it, else you'll most likely fail, so it's a great game for teamwork.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I personally like TF2. There is no "global" ranking system but individual server communities may run stats that keep track of rankings on their servers. This would be exactly how CS works as far as stats.

There are 364 achievements in TF2 broken down by player class that you can spend time trying to earn (or just be surprised when you earn them without trying). And there are different weapon unlocks and hats, hats and more hats... :rolleyes:

I actually like the "silly/cartoon" aspect of the game. It makes it easier to distance yourself from reality and therefore accept that the weapons don't do things anywhere close to reality. It's fun!

borcanm

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Give Quake Live a try. I know you said your not into quake, but this one is pretty addictive to spend 30min on.

skatementle

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
Well The best FPS on mac would probably be Call Of Duty 4:ModernWarfare. you can buy it from a lot of places as a digital download.(just google it)

There are also really good FPS's on Steam such as the already mentioned TF2,Counterstrike source,Left4Dead2, and my personal fav HalfLife2DeathMatch. I like the graphics/gameplay/maps of hl2deathmatch but there really all good games and you can download maps and add-ons for most of them.

ALSO quake live and combat arms are not even close to the level of gameplay as the games I mentioned haha! They Suck :)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Orange Box at $30 is the best deal on Earth for Mac FPS games. It includes:

Half Life 2 plus episodes 1 and 2
TF2
Portal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I think Im going to go with TF2 because I love the idea of short games and I can kind of pick it up and play whenever. I also thinking of getting COD4 but it still so damn expensive which is a little shocking. . .

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
TF2 is great for short sessions and just SO MUCH CONTENT!

but hey Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 are on sale, $9.99 each or $15 for both. both available for Mac OSX too

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
TF2 is great for short sessions and just SO MUCH CONTENT!

but hey Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 are on sale, $9.99 each or $15 for both. both available for Mac OSX too

Not sure they are my style, but for that price I might just have to. . .

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I like Left 4 Dead a lot but personally, I can't wait for modern combat 2 for the mac to be released. That is, if it's being released. :(

skatementle

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
Tf2 is sick It did take me a few games to actually get the feel for it tho.

left4 dead2 is more fun to me. I downloaded like 20 extra maps and campaigns already

skatementle

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
sucks i cant find any videos of cod4 for mac anywhere I was also thinking abut buying it.

do alot of people still play online and are there servers?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
sucks i cant find any videos of cod4 for mac anywhere I was also thinking abut buying it.

do alot of people still play online and are there servers?

COD4 Mac is the same as the Windows version, and there are some videos of it on Youtube. You play with Windows users, so yes, there will be a lot of people playing. There's still quite a few people playing COD2.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
COD4 Mac is the same as the Windows version, and there are some videos of it on Youtube. You play with Windows users, so yes, there will be a lot of people playing. There's still quite a few people playing COD2.

Id hope so because if I dropped the $50 on it and there were only like 35 people and 5 servers online I think Id probably go postal on Aspyr.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
COD Modern Warfare, you'll LOVE it! Also get Starcraft 2, I was never into RPG's but by God it's frikkin good!! I only got it cause of the hype and it certainly lives up to it. Other wise TF2. Also MW2 uses the same engine as MW and Black Ops is based on the same engine I think, but it has been improved a lot.

But yeah, my advice is MW and Starcraft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.