Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DUDEMANGUY5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I have been using my 13" MBP with a monitor for the past few months now and I just noticed that sometimes i look up at the battery status and it is plugged in and it says in parentheses not charging. I press the button on the side of the MBP and it indicates it is at about 80%. I left the MBP at home all day plugged in and i was wondering if it is doing its own battery maintenance or what.

Does anybody else have this issue?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It will stop charging sometimes between 93% and 99%, but not as low as 80%. You may have a faulty connection or charger. Batteries don't do their own maintenance.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

DUDEMANGUY5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
It will stop charging sometimes between 93% and 99%, but not as low as 80%. You may have a faulty connection or charger. Batteries don't do their own maintenance.

Its not that it stopped charging at 80%, It was charged this morning at 100%, i never took it off the charger and i noticed it tonight that it was saying not charging and the battery was at 80% ish

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Its not that it stopped charging at 80%, It was charged this morning at 100%, i never took it off the charger and i noticed it tonight that it was saying not charging and the battery was at 80% ish
Read the link I posted, especially the sections on calibration and charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.