Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCamper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
EDIT: You can use DATA!
It's quite pricey if you don't actually have a plan for it );
If you want data, you go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone via Safari.
You then just tap continue, and tap "Custom APN" than you should see APN, Username, and password. Just skip down to where it says Carrier, and choose "US - AT&T" than tap "Create Profile" than just install it. WALA! You now have 3G/Edge data on your iPhone.
GoPhones cost $20 at RadioShack.

Alright, this is just a little tutorial on to have a GoPhone plan on any iPhone. No unlock needed, in order to get this to work on the iPhone 4 you have to cut the SIM card since iPhone 4 uses "Micro SIM"
Well, I bought a GoPhone and activated it from RadioShack, thinking I can immediately take out the SIM and put it in my iPhone. I was wrong, I just kept on getting "No Service" at the top left corner. So I just dealt with my little $20 GoPhone for a week. Than I came across this YouTube video, that if you buy a new GoPhone it is actually locked to that specific phone for 6 months. So I thought maybe I could call AT&T and tell them that my screen broke in half (not sure if you have to say your phone is broken, or just say you bought a new phone and cannot use it. I just said I broke it to make sure.) and that I have bought a new phone but the SIM card just says "No Service". They asked no Questions and unlocked my SIM. I took it out and put it in my iPhone and.... WALLLA! It works.
Unlimited Text/Calling $2 a day.
It may not seem cheap, but some days I just don't use my phone.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Data Will not work!
GoPhones cost $20 at RadioShack.

Alright, this is just a little tutorial on to have a GoPhone plan on any iPhone. No unlock needed, in order to get this to work on the iPhone 4 you have to cut the SIM card since iPhone 4 uses "Micro SIM"
Well, I bought a GoPhone and activated it from RadioShack, thinking I can immediately take out the SIM and put it in my iPhone. I was wrong, I just kept on getting "No Service" at the top left corner. So I just dealt with my little $20 GoPhone for a week. Than I came across this YouTube video, that if you buy a new GoPhone it is actually locked to that specific phone for 6 months. So I thought maybe I could call AT&T and tell them that my screen broke in half (not sure if you have to say your phone is broken, or just say you bought a new phone and cannot use it. I just said I broke it to make sure.) and that I have bought a new phone but the SIM card just says "No Service". They asked no Questions and unlocked my SIM. I took it out and put it in my iPhone and.... WALLLA! It works.
Unlimited Text/Calling $2 a day.
It may not seem cheap, but some days I just don't use my phone.

Data will work! I have 3G service on my gophone iphone 4. And you don't have to go through this ridiculous process of calling att and making up some story to have phone service. The gophone sim will activate the iphone and immediately function as far as making calls. While I'm not concerned about the sim being locked to the phone for 6 months I've read on here there is an easy way around it. To activate data I used the iphone configuration utility program from apple to create a profile including the apn and access name and password. Yes I can tether as well with the commcenter hack.

I think this is how you get around the 6 month issue:
You use an active (with working phone number) SIM from another AT&T account to activate your iPhone. Doing this will allow you to use your GoPhone SIM in other phones besides your iPhone right away.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Um, why don't you people just walk into an ATT store and ask them for a GoPhone SIM? I did that on a recent trip to San Francisco.

Walked into a random ATT store, told the rep that I wanted a prepaid SIM. He asked whether I needed a phone (no I didn't). So he walked to the back and brought out a GoPhone SIM card. Popped it out of the little 'card' and activated it. Added $50 value. (total price- $50. the card was free)

Then went to a nearby Apple Store, connected to their free WiFi, and went to 'unlockit.co.nz' and installed the AT&T APN. Rang up cust. svc and added the 100MB data plan for $20. Voila- prepaid GoPhone (with data!) without needing to buy a crappy phone.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
cool story...i'm going to portugal next month and am curious if i will be able to do this over there. currently i have an iphone 4 that's jailbroken... i should be able to do this overseas right?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Um, why don't you people just walk into an ATT store and ask them for a GoPhone SIM? I did that on a recent trip to San Francisco.

Walked into a random ATT store, told the rep that I wanted a prepaid SIM. He asked whether I needed a phone (no I didn't). So he walked to the back and brought out a GoPhone SIM card. Popped it out of the little 'card' and activated it. Added $50 value. (total price- $50. the card was free)

Then went to a nearby Apple Store, connected to their free WiFi, and went to 'unlockit.co.nz' and installed the AT&T APN. Rang up cust. svc and added the 100MB data plan for $20. Voila- prepaid GoPhone (with data!) without needing to buy a crappy phone.

+1 My story was very similar except they asked me for my IMEI and I told them I had an unlocked phone at home and did not have the IMEI. They acivated the SIM, I put $25 on it which is the minimum you can buy that will not expire after a month. No messing with extra phone, no SIM locked to phone etc. I only needed it for a limited period while I was waiting for an unlock and now just keep the SIM to activate my phone when I restore.

iCamper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
EDIT: You can use DATA!
It's quite pricey if you don't actually have a plan for it );
If you want data, you go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone via Safari.
You then just tap continue, and tap "Custom APN" than you should see APN, Username, and password. Just skip down to where it says Carrier, and choose "US - AT&T" than tap "Create Profile" than just install it. WALA! You now have 3G/Edge data on your iPhone.

Found out how to use data for it. Quite pricey if you don't have an actual data plan.
But pretty handy if you're in a life death situation, and need to use your GPS or something. (Not sure if GPS actually works. Not enough $$ in my account to try it.)
Or just to update your ol' facebook status.
Also I was wondering if anyone knew how to get unlimited data on a Go-Plan.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.2.0.26.MB200.T-Mobile.en.US Flex/P021) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

*voila

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.