Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:52 AM   #1
siam
macrumors regular

Where is the Scroll Lock key - Mac keyboard

I have been using a KVM switch on a Asus notebook running windows 7 and an Acer E500 desktop PC running windows xp both connected to one external monitor . to switch between the Asus and the Acer it was just a case of tapping the external windows keyboard key ( Scroll Lock ) twice .

now ive connected the KVM unit between the Asus notebook and my iMac , and one external monitor , now I find that there's no scroll lock key on my Mac external keyboard , so I cannot switch between the Asus notebook and the iMac , can any one please suggest what I have to do to be able to switch using my apple keyboard

if I plug my windows keyboard in , then I can use the '' scroll lock '' key to switch between the Asus notebook and my iMac with out a problem

any advice on how to use my Mac keyboard to switch the KVM unit would be most welcome

Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:52 AM   #2
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

AFAIK, the current mac keyboard does not output scroll lock. The button in the same physical location would be F14, but that doesn't work.

The mac keyboard will do scroll lock function in Windows, but only because a boot camp driver is translating. This has no effect on the KVM switch.

You CAN use your KVM switch with a PC and MAC as shown in the diagram, but you have to use a PC keyboard. PC keyboards work fine on the Mac. The Windows key is the Apple key.

You can try calling support for your KVM, but I doubt it will pan out. This has been a problem for years and nobody seems keen to fix it. If you really want to use your MAC keyboard, return the KVM and get one with its own switching button mounted right on the unit. Last I checked there were also automatic KVMs that switched to whichever device was on (assuming the other is off).
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:56 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

This is the closest I could find:
Num and Scroll Lock on G5 keyboard
Scroll Lock
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
siam
macrumors regular

Thanks Guy's for the comments and advice . I emailed the manufacture of the KVM switch and to my surprise received an email back with in the hour . They gave me instructions of how to reset my Mac keyboard to use '' control '' instead of the missing scroll lock, I followed their simple instructions and I can now use my Mac key board to switch the KVM unit . I was totally surprised how simple it was . So thanks again for your replays.

Siam
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
jorjitop
macrumors newbie

Siam, could you share the solution?

Since you received such easy instructions, could you post them here for others to try, please
jorjitop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:39 PM   #6
siam
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjitop View Post
Since you received such easy instructions, could you post them here for others to try, please
Hi , Yes sorry I should have posted the answer i received

I have Two Mac keyboards and for some reason on one of them I have to use

Tap the letter [ T ] instead of [ M ]
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:05 AM   #7
jorjitop
macrumors newbie

Thanks siam

My KVM manufacturer has not been as responsive, though I did find another combination that worked on a Windows keyboard. Does not on the Mac keyboard.

All's well that ends well!
jorjitop is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals