Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masands

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Hi
I have an iPod touch 2G 8gb model running iOS 4.1. I have jailbroken but not enabled multitasking. However I did notice that some apps don't actually close completely. For example I was playing fruit ninja the other day and I quit. 2 days and few apps later I opened it again. It opened to exactly where I had left off with just the game paused. I also tested this with Facebook and it remembers where I quit. Does this mean Apple has actually enabled suspension/backgrounding in the older models but just disabled the app switcher? Cause that wouldn't make sense.

Can anyone confirm this??

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Ever since the very first SDK-supported apps in iOS 2.0, Apple has provided a mechanism for notifying apps that they're about to close, to give them a chance to save their current state into a database before they shut down. That way they can load their state back out of the database the next time they launch, and bring the user back to the same place they left off.

Not every app developer takes advantage of this mechanism to its fullest extent, though. So some apps are written to start up exactly where they left off the last time, and others can only go back as far as the most recent "save point", while still other apps will always go all the way back to the main introduction screen whenever they are launched.

Perhaps the apps you're mentioning here just do a better job of taking advantage of the standard save-state-on-close methods than other apps you're used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.