Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
The latest VLC app on the iPad (as of October 26th) freezes my videos every 10 minutes or so.

Anyone else experiencing this?

dannau

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
Freeze

Same problem here. Not on all files though. Have to restart the ipad completely to make it work again.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
The way to get back to the video without restarting is by pressing Done, then home button, then VLC again, wait till it closes on its own, then VLC again. If you don't let it crash that first time alone the app gets corrupted and you have to reboot.

I hope they'll roll out an update soon

tamasvarga67

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
Same for me too. It freezes after 5-10 minutes and it is really annoying. Although 1.0 used to crash a few times but I will put it back until the next update comes out because 1.1 is pretty much useless.
I would suggest everybody to use the "Report a problem" option in iTunes App Store maybe it speeds up the update process if more people report the same issue.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I have the same problem also. I tried other movies/TV series and still.
I can't tell if I had the problem before as my ipad is 2 days old and never tried watching a movie with the old version of VLC

Yeah Man

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
I'm getting the same problem. It's exquisitely irritating. The previous version had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Why oh why did I click 'update.'

dammitjanet@gma

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
4.2 surprise

Upgraded to latest GM release and the freezes in vlc have stopped, Color me shocked

So it would appear that either the issue was specifically 3.x related and whatever the issue was with playback was fixed by Apple in 4.2

Since I haven't seen anyone complain of the issue on iOS 4 phones, since vlc was released, go figure

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
this has bugged me no end since VLC last update... dont quite understand how it can start working on 4.2 though..

anyway, the workaround without closing the app (which doesn't remember the last position when it froze) is, when playback freezes:

1) touch the screen so the controls appear
2) tap the foward button (>>) twice
3) tap done

you should then be presented with your vlc home screen

4) re-select video and it should start off where it froze.

it works.. so good enough till it's fixed!

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Freezing fixed?

I never used my VLC 1.1.0 because of the freezing issue. After I downloaded the new iOS 4.2.1 the VLC app works fine. As a layman my bet is that the latest VLC was developed on a Beta version of the OS which is why it did not work right with the 3.x OS.

One thing that would be nice would be if VLC could make the iPad app load srt subtitles as well. The computer version does this very nicely. Now we are stuck with converting avi's and srt's to mp4 to play on the iPad. I use Handbrake which works nicely because it has a queue but it still takes time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.