Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tharris0101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I'm trying to figure out how much a faster HD (7200rpm or SSD) would effect recording and playing back multiple audio tracks in Logic.

Does Logic load any audio files into RAM during playback and recording, or is it hitting the hard drive. Really the only thing I care about is being able to have the most active tracks I can (both MIDI and audio), and the best I can tell, hard drive speed will effect it way less than CPU and RAM. Am I correct?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Hard drive speed is important when it comes to multiple audio tracks. The RPM of the drive isn't as important as it's non-sequential read rate (which is often affected by RPM, but doesn't give you a direct figure).

I'm currently working on a project which at some points has 36 channels of audio streaming at once - at which point my MacBook Pro internal drive stalls instantly, my iMac's internal drive sometimes stalls, but my 1tb Lacie d2 Quadra (FW800, non-boot) drive runs fine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.