Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1
bedifferent

Apple TV 2 Jailbreak DFU Help

Ok, I'm by no means a noob at jailbreaking and systems. However, I downloaded and ran the latest Pwnage 4.1.2 to JB the new Apple TV. I have the unit connected via a Micro-USB adapter to Mini-USB Cable into a rear USB slot in my Mac Pro (I also plugged it in just in case it needed the extra power). After Pwnage created the custom IPSW it waits for the Apple TV to be detected, yet for some reason it is not recognizing it. I've tried other ports/cables/etc to no avail.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:36 PM   #2
goobot
macrumors 601

only have the micro usb plugged in
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:39 PM   #3
jgunn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Ok, I'm by no means a noob at jailbreaking and systems. However, I downloaded and ran the latest Pwnage 4.1.2 to JB the new Apple TV. I have the unit connected via a Micro-USB adapter to Mini-USB Cable into a rear USB slot in my Mac Pro (I also plugged it in just in case it needed the extra power). After Pwnage created the custom IPSW it waits for the Apple TV to be detected, yet for some reason it is not recognizing it. I've tried other ports/cables/etc to no avail.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!
are you putting the atv2 in DFU mode when it asks. You have to hold down menu and down for 6 seconds the hold menu and play/pause
jgunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:13 PM   #4
bedifferent

yeah, I've done all those methods.

At the risk of coming off completely stupid, I don't have it hooked up to a TV while I am doing this as there is no TV near my Mac Pro, I'm following the guidelines based on the lights on the front of the Apple TV.

After pressing Menu+Down for 6 seconds, it turns on to a flashing white light. Then I hold Menu+Play and neither Pwnage nor iTunes detects an Apple TV in DFU mode.

Is it necessary to have visual display of the Apple TV while doing this?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:01 PM   #5
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

If I remember correctly, I started pwnagetool, had it build the ipsw, then plugged in the appletv via USB when it told me to. I know I did not have the hdmi cable plugged in. I know I had the power cable, USB and possibly Ethernet. Pwnagetool instructed me to connect the appletv, and then it informed me to remove the power cable. I think that's when it guided me into DFU. I didn't have to do the menu+down part, just the menu+play and that did it. From what I've read, I think you have to let pwnagetool put the device into DFU, you can't do it manually for some reason. I basically just followed the onscreen prompts.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:10 PM   #6
jlluna
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty2192 View Post
If I remember correctly, I started pwnagetool, had it build the ipsw, then plugged in the appletv via USB when it told me to. I know I did not have the hdmi cable plugged in. I know I had the power cable, USB and possibly Ethernet. Pwnagetool instructed me to connect the appletv, and then it informed me to remove the power cable. I think that's when it guided me into DFU. I didn't have to do the menu+down part, just the menu+play and that did it. From what I've read, I think you have to let pwnagetool put the device into DFU, you can't do it manually for some reason. I basically just followed the onscreen prompts.
all you need to do is plug in your apple tv to the computer, Nothing else, and try it again, once you do that Itunes will see your apple tv, Remember no Power cord or ethernet cable connected to the apple tv, Just your Usb Cable and apple tv, to Computer.
jlluna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:36 PM   #7
bedifferent

I'm suspecting that the micro-USB adapter is the culprit as I tried it on my 6-Core Pro running 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.0.0.1 and iTunes Beta, then on an iMac running 10.6.4 and iTunes 10.0.0.1. The Apple TV when connected via micro-USB adapter to mini-USB cable indicates power, but for some reason it's not recognized by Pwnage/iTunes. Gonna get another cable and try again.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:02 AM   #8
bedifferent

Got it working! TUrns out it was a bad USB cable. Thanks everyone!

Now I can't wait for the jailbreaking App race to commence!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks