Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:15 PM   #1
greg.schumacher
macrumors newbie

PackageMaker - postinstall script is not running

Using PackageMaker v3.0.1 with Mac OS X v10.5.8, I am trying to create an installer package that copies two file to a new folder and then runs a shell script. The folder is created, the files copied, but the postinstall script does not run. How do I know you ask. I replaced the contents of the postinstall script with the lines below and the text file was not created. Looking in the installer's log I find nothing to indicate an error or even an attempt to execute the postinstall script.

#!/bin/bash
echo "we were here" >> /test.txt
exit 0

The script's execute bit is set and I believe the permissions are set correctly. If I browse through the contents of the .mpkg package I find, buried deep within, the postinstall script. BTW, if I CD to the folder in which I find the script and type ./postinstall the text file is created successfully.

I have run out of things to try and appreciate any assistance you can provide. I've attached to this post the installer's log file for those interested.

Greg
Computer Guy
Attached Files
File Type: txt install.log.txt (8.1 KB, 96 views)
greg.schumacher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.schumacher View Post
echo "we were here" >> /test.txt
Without permission to write to the root dir, that command will silently fail without creating a file.

Try something that doesn't require file-system permissions, like:
Code:
say "Go away before I taunt you some more."
Quote:
The script's execute bit is set and I believe the permissions are set correctly.
Exactly what are the permissions?
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming