Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1
hyungsup
macrumors member

Sync iCal with Outlook 2011

I prefer to use outlook 2011 rather than iCal but the problem is that I can't sync with my phone. I was wondering if it's possible to sync outlook and ical (I know... it's kinda stupid having 2 databases) so that I can use isync to sync with my phone?
I really like to notebook view mode thingy from Word.
Hope you guys can help me out here!
hyungsup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
alagrad94
macrumors newbie

Temporary Work Around

So, the developers say that sync to iCal is eventually coming through a pushed update. I have discovered a relatively easy work around until that point. It's a pain and we shouldn't have to do it, but such is life.

Even with Entourage, you had to sync it to iCal and then iTunes synced that data to your phone/pad.

If you open your Outlook Calendar and iCal next to each other, you can drag and drop from Outlook to iCal, sort of a manual sync. Only catch I found is you have to drag and drop onto the correct day. It transfers the time info correctly, but it will alter the date to whatever day you drop it onto.
alagrad94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:00 PM   #3
wayneholbrook
macrumors regular

Any word on when this update might be coming? I am very surprised that it would be released without the function of syncing with ical. After all this is Office 2011 for Mac right?

Kind of important feature for those who use this for business dont you think?
wayneholbrook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:12 AM   #4
ITlover73
macrumors newbie

I am also surprised!

I also want this function. Automatic push sync function from Outlook 2011 to iCal and vice versa; push on change in either application. Priority and/ or alert if one tries to input a new appointment where there is one already (across programs).
ITlover73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:36 AM   #5
vcabrera
macrumors newbie

syncing ical and outlook 2011

thank you for the advice of dragging appts from outlook calendar to ical. That worked and has been synced to my iphone. But what a pain!

Anybody know when the update will happen. My company as many are networked through outlook.

I can't believe they released 2011 without being able to sync ical. Other than that I love it!
vcabrera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:51 AM   #6
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816

Are you connecting outlook to an exchange server? If so, just have the phone sync to the exchange server and don't sync directly with your workstation. That's what I do and it works great.
ScoobyMcDoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:14 PM   #7
hkbladelawkhk
macrumors member

Also Curious

I've been wondering something along the lines of this as well. The company I work for uses Google Apps. Anyone had any luck in finding a program that can sync between Google and Outlook 2011? Even if it syncs iCal with Outlook (like Entourage did). It would have to be automatic, I can't have anything manual. Anything along these lines?

Hopefully this helps the OP as well.
hkbladelawkhk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:23 PM   #8
mfuggle
macrumors newbie

It's now 2011 and Mac Outlook 2011 is still not syncing with iCal

Do the good people from Microsoft read these forums? If so can we get some indication of a release date for the iCal sync functionality. I bought Office 2011 for the Mac solely to get Outlook but I cannot use it. I am still using Thunderbird 3.

Cheers
Martin Fuggle

Last edited by mfuggle; Jan 6, 2011 at 09:32 PM.
mfuggle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:05 AM   #9
TJayhawk56
macrumors newbie

It is odd

Isn't it odd that we can sync to iPhone from Windows Outlook but not from Mac Outlook? Does anyone know when Mac Outlook (calendar and contacts) will be able to sync to iPhone? The work around for contacts is working, however, entering two separate calendar entries for the same event is getting old very quickly.
TJayhawk56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:16 AM   #10
pr28893
macrumors newbie

Synch ical with Outlook 2011

The latest Outlook 2011 update allows sync between ical and Outlook. Once you have set synch series in Outlook (In preferences/other) you will need to restart then the sync will start.
pr28893 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:39 AM   #11
marc11
macrumors 68000

Yeah it works, but it is utter crap and deployed in typical MS fashion, half a$$ed. You cannot set a default category in Outlook, so everything goes to "No Category" which is fine, until you try and rename it or create a category, then it creates a second or third, etc calendar in iCal, once for each category, which would be okay except you cannot have a default, so each and every event must be thought out before you enter it.

Also, forget about MM, if you have a calendar on MM it will not sync, what will happen is all your Outlook calendars will go to MM as separate calendars, but any events on MM will not sync over to Outlook.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:52 PM   #12
wayneholbrook
macrumors regular

That sounds like way to much trouble to use Outlook. What a disappointment. I was real excited about outlook when it came out for mac, but wow what a let down.

The only thing I can hope for now is Apple releases a great update to Apple Mail, an update that makes mail more business friendly like flags, follow ups, etc...
wayneholbrook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:27 PM   #13
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
That sounds like way to much trouble to use Outlook. What a disappointment. I was real excited about outlook when it came out for mac, but wow what a let down.

The only thing I can hope for now is Apple releases a great update to Apple Mail, an update that makes mail more business friendly like flags, follow ups, etc...
Yep same here. I really like Outlook and the way it handles my mail from my many accounts and I really like to sync my calendars with our ipad, itouch and other Macbook, plus see it online, I was hoping to use Outlook as my many contact app instead of Mail and Calendar as separate apps.

Hoping the next version of Mail is better, I can't get a grip on the current version, it is horrible IMHO.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:07 PM   #14
cbronfman
macrumors Demi-God

iCalDAV I'm enjoying more than I expected

I use Entourage (I have MS Office 2011 but bought the Home edition as I didn't want to go to Outlook until iCal and Calendar synced). Since sync with iCal goes away anyway May 5th, I upgraded to iCalDAV ahead of time to be sure I didn't lose sync with my iPhone and iPad2. So my Calendar in Entourage is now empty and I'm adapting fine. I actually like much of it. The upgraded version is way better than the original iCal; I suspect Lion may upgrade the desktop iCal to look more like the upgraded one on MM and on the iPad. I miss the Entourage Calendar a bit, and haven't adapted to having different calendars to get the different colors for different categories. For the moment, Contacts still sync. I don't think they will after May 5th since sync services will not longer work - so I'll have to adapt to manually updating Entourage. I can't imagine going to mail as I have a huge file folder system in Entourage and a history of many years both professionally and privately is indispensable.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:11 PM   #15
iRobby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbronfman View Post
Since sync with iCal goes away anyway May 5th, For the moment, Contacts still sync. I don't think they will after May 5th since sync services will not longer work.

What exactly is happening May 5th?
What is disappearing? iCal? and the syncing to what iOS devices?
Airport Extreme (5th Generation)
iRobby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:11 PM   #16
marc11
macrumors 68000

Actually iCal isn't bad, it is Apple Mail that blows and having mail and cal separate that annoys me.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:47 PM   #17
cbronfman
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRobby View Post
[/B]

What exactly is happening May 5th?
What is disappearing? iCal? and the syncing to what iOS devices?
You have to upgrade your MM calendar to iCalDAV by May 5th or lose syncing. And when you do, sync services will no longer work. In other words, after 05/05, you won't be any to sync Outlook or Entourage with iCal (and I assume) Address Book and MM. As soon as you upgrade to iCalDAV sync with Entourage (or Outlook) Calendar is ended. And if you resist, don't upgrade - effective 05/05, sync with MM will be broken for your computer and your iPhone, iPad or whatever. Log into your MM account and if you haven't upgraded your iCal, your get the message I just summarized.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:49 PM   #18
cbronfman
macrumors Demi-God

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Actually iCal isn't bad, it is Apple Mail that blows and having mail and cal separate that annoys me.
+1.

Actually, I downloaded BusyCal (and BusyToDo so I'd have my ToDo list on my iPhone and iPad2) and I'm finding everything working very well. OK, I paid extra but at least (for now) everything is working well. I suspect that some of the problems that I've had over the years have been syncing with Entourage.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:59 PM   #19
iRobby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbronfman View Post
You have to upgrade your MM calendar to iCalDAV by May 5th or lose syncing. And when you do, sync services will no longer work. In other words, after 05/05, you won't be any to sync Outlook or Entourage with iCal (and I assume) Address Book and MM. As soon as you upgrade to iCalDAV sync with Entourage (or Outlook) Calendar is ended. And if you resist, don't upgrade - effective 05/05, sync with MM will be broken for your computer and your iPhone, iPad or whatever. Log into your MM account and if you haven't upgraded your iCal, your get the message I just summarized.
oh thank you. I was confused thinking there was a change coming in Lion . I don't have the iMac yet only a PC guess I'll have to download the iCalDAV when I get the iMac and not use iCal thanks or s this only if I want to use Outlook? I plan on just using Mac Applications.
Airport Extreme (5th Generation)
iRobby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:02 PM   #20
cbronfman
macrumors Demi-God

If you sync tethering your iPhone with your computer, you can continue to sync without a problem. If you use MM to sync, you'll have to upgrade to iCalDAV. I'm not sure how things work in the PC world, but if it relies on Sync Services, you'll be in the same boat as we Mac/Entourage/Outlook users. Is that clear? How are you syncing at present?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store