Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:50 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple Bites The Fans That Feed It

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple Bites The Fans That Feed It
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2005, 03:13 PM   #2
iBook
Banned

Word

The lawsuit seems completely misguided and unfounded to me. Not defending the actions of the people who leaked the information -- they've clearly broken some sort of NDA or other contractual agreement -- but I don't see the sense in suing thinksecret.com.

As best I can tell from the coverage, the site did not print incorrect information or libel an individual/company. Were the information inaccurate, it stands to reason that Apple could legally request the information be removed -- and then proceed from that basis.

The suit just strikes me as petty.

Last edited by iBook; Jan 10, 2005 at 12:55 AM.
iBook is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2005, 04:42 PM   #3
dejo

Quote:
"But, this sort of stuff happens all the time in the tech industry."
Does that make it right? Let's just through all NDAs out the window then and see how the industry reacts.
dejo is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2005, 04:43 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G5

I can't answer whether Apple has a legal basis for going after TS. You'd think Apple's lawyers would know that, though But I hope TS gets off the hook, and I do enjoy rumors.

On the flip side of my enjoyment is REAL harm done to Apple when its secrets get shared with competitors. That's not petty.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
I always thought that Apple gave these type of stories a cease and desist or you're going to get a law suit? If that's the case here, then TS deserves getting taken to court for not following Apple's warning.

Its all about the NDA and its sad that it has to be that way sometimes. But if they didn't do something about then they're basically saying that its ok.

D
Old Jan 7, 2005, 05:45 PM   #6
fregedegpo
macrumors member

Apple is still in a precarious position, and the leak might have screwed up their game plan. There is much at stake for all Mac users. I think Apple is justified.
fregedegpo is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2005, 03:01 AM   #7
Kagetenshi
macrumors 6502

While I usually respect Forbes at least moderately, I think they don't know what they're talking about on this one.

Incidentally, while not conclusive word on the street is that Apple did send cease-and-desists, but they were ignored. I find it hard to believe that anyone could seriously mount the defense that they didn't know that the sort of specific details ThinkSecret has been posting were trade secrets, so ThinkSecret is clearly in the wrong and liable civilly if not criminally.

This isn't about biting the fans, it's about biting the spies.

~J
Old Jan 8, 2005, 03:20 AM   #8
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anderson
I always thought that Apple gave these type of stories a cease and desist or you're going to get a law suit? If that's the case here, then TS deserves getting taken to court for not following Apple's warning.
According to the c|net article that's on the front page of MR, Apple legal repeatedly contacted TS and were repeatedly ignored.

Anyway...
I'm glad to know that Lisa DiCarlo, the writer of the article, thinks the hand that feeds Apple belongs to Apple employees that violate their NDAs.

Apple isn't going after people who start/spread rumors they are going after employees who violate their NDAs. I'm still amazed at how many people can't/don't/won't realize that.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2005, 04:20 AM   #9
Diatribe
macrumors 601

I said it over in the other thread and I'll say it again.

I don't think they are after rumor sites, they want the names from within the company. And IF TS paid them then their butt too.

Just imagine if the iPod mini would've been known before and all the other companies would've been ready...
Now with the iPod flash, Creative already announced a 1GB player. This will cost Apple market share and money. If I were Apple I'd be more than pissed.

And I cannot blame Apple, I think they're doing the right thing.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:10 PM   #10
wdlove
macrumors 604

Competition is very fierce in the computer/technology business. A company having a product lead is very important. Apple was able to surprise its competition with the iPod and iTunes. That is why they are in the lead today. Someone working for Apple has no right to give out company secrets.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:12 AM   #11
combatcolin
macrumors 68020

VERY VERY VERY annoying to have to click past some "advert" to get to the article.
combatcolin is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:56 AM   #12
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

I fail to see how this isn't freedom of the press. If Apple has internal leaks that's an APPLE problem, and no outside agency should have obligation to either help seal or find the leaks. The PRESS DOES have an obligation to print the news that they find to be accurate, or at least have every reason to believe is accurate at the time they publish it.

Now, if Apple wants to sue TS for the purpose of finding their leak, they should be required to pay legal expenses to determine if TS is legally obligated to reveal thier sources. If Apple wants to sue TS for damages because they published information that was leaked to them, they should be slapped down with a counter suit for legal costs and any damages in terms of loss of public respectability of TS. (Personally, I think that this suit has helped TS more than anything... assuming they get paid per advertisement exposure, all the coverage has got to be upping the page hits).

If TS approached an Apple employee and offered compensation for spilling the beans, they would be at least partially liable. But if the Apple employee gave them the info freely, without being asked, or even if the leaker asked TS for money without any prompting from TS, it's really all the leakers liability.

The whole thing is ridiculous, imo.

Rob
mrgreen4242 is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2005, 01:45 PM   #13
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen4242
If TS approached an Apple employee and offered compensation for spilling the beans, they would be at least partially liable. Rob
Partially? You're kidding right?
Old Jan 9, 2005, 02:29 PM   #14
whocares
macrumors 65816

All I have to say on this is that, so far, the lawsuit has only manage to increase media coverage of the $499 headless Mac (or whatever the products in question are).

This is either a negative side effect for Apple (most likely) or lost of free 'commercial' for Apple and its product(s).
whocares is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2005, 02:46 PM   #15
Kagetenshi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen4242
I fail to see how this isn't freedom of the press.
Try this on for size, then. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Nowhere does it guarantee the right of the press to bypass the rights of others, or to release trade secrets (the knowing disclosure of which is, in California, a criminal offense), or to conspire to violate contract law without repercussions. The first has been done. The second has been clearly done. The third is questionable, but there is clear and present tort on the part of ThinkSecret. This is clearly not a first-amendment issue; the government doesn't enter into it.

~J
Old Jan 9, 2005, 03:49 PM   #16
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares
All I have to say on this is that, so far, the lawsuit has only manage to increase media coverage of the $499 headless Mac (or whatever the products in question are).

This is either a negative side effect for Apple (most likely) or lost of free 'commercial' for Apple and its product(s).
Short term loss in hopes of a long term gain. The cat is already out of the bag so Apple's willing to accept the press surrounding the lawsuit in hopes that the lawsuit will lead to fewer/no breaches of NDAs in the future.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:06 PM   #17
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagetenshi
Try this on for size, then.
People like to hide behind the amendments, even if they don't know what they really mean.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:59 AM   #18
iBook
Banned

This is not a First Amendment issue

This is not a First Amendment issue. The government is not impeding ThinkSecret.com's ability to print information or questioning the information it has printed.

This is a publicly held company suing another company. Plain and simple.

Constitutional issues simply are not at stake here.

What is at stake is Apple's credibility - does it really need to sue ThinkSecret? Why isn't it enough to sue the people who violated the NDA? ThinkSecret.com is not bound by the terms of an NDA that someone else signed with Apple.

Now, had ThinkSecret obtained the information by theft, it would be a different story. As it stands, I don't see the legal basis for Apple's claim.

Apple clearly has an ax to grind, IMHO.

Last edited by iBook; Jan 10, 2005 at 01:03 AM.
iBook is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2005, 02:05 AM   #19
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBook
Apple clearly has an ax to grind, IMHO.
Apple's lawyers have already ground their ax, now they want a head to chop off.

TS just happened to be the one to stick their neck out over the chopping block and yell "bite me" to the legal team by continuing to publish after Apple told them to stop.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 08:50 AM   #20
iBook
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Baked
Apple's lawyers have already ground their ax, now they want a head to chop off.

TS just happened to be the one to stick their neck out over the chopping block and yell "bite me" to the legal team by continuing to publish after Apple told them to stop.
I question what legal authority Apple has to tell ThinkSecret.com to "cease and desist." It is a news story about a product announcement.

There is fair use doctrine in the United States that allows this sort of coverage because it is for information purposes. It's why newspapers can write reviews of movies, for example.
iBook is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2005, 01:05 PM   #21
kronos2611
macrumors member

the one point I took from the article I completely agree with - Apple appear to be trying hard to cause disruption in the Mac community. Unfortunately I don't think most of it is justified and is merely headline grabbing stuff.

the core issue is that Apple have a following. An actual real life following. Not just customers, you've got people who actively "spread the word" and promote the platform. I personally thing Apple need to start doing a bit more good press which hopefully will come in the next couple of days. Otherwise they could end up upsetting a large number of people....

Now I do agree that they should pursue any breaches of their NDA, be that internal or external to the company - that's a given. However, pulling out of expo's - and now removing the live feed from the Keynote tomorrow - well that's just not playing nice.
kronos2611 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion