Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Java-Based Malware Targets Mac OS X, But Threat Level Disputed

Security alert dialog box generated by malware's installation attempts
Yesterday, Mac antivirus firm SecureMac issued an alert regarding a new piece of malware capable of infecting systems running Mac OS X by using a trojan horse method of entry to deploy a Java-based payload enabling a wide variety of nefarious functions.
Quote:
The trojan horse, trojan.osx.boonana.a, is spreading through social networking sites, including Facebook, disguised as a video. The trojan is currently appearing as a link in messages on social networking sites with the subject "Is this you in this video?"

When a user clicks the infected link, the trojan initially runs as a Java applet, which downloads other files to the computer, including an installer, which launches automatically. When run, the installer modifies system files to bypass the need for passwords, allowing outside access to all files on the system. Additionally, the trojan sets itself to run invisibly in the background at startup, and periodically checks in with command and control servers to report information on the infected system. While running, the trojan horse hijacks user accounts to spread itself further via spam messages. Users have reported the trojan is spreading through e-mail as well as social media sites.
Rival antivirus firm Intego responded with a notice of its own, downplaying the imminent threat from the malware due to the fact that it does not appear to functioning as intended.
Quote:
While Intego has evidence of several infections in the wild, we are not currently able to go beyond this step, as either the malicious malware has bugs preventing it from running correctly, or the servers it contacts are not active or are not serving the correct files.

Potentially, if it installs correctly, it functions the same as the Koobface worm running on Windows. It runs a local web server and an IRC server, acts as part of a botnet, acts as a DNS changer, and can activate a number of other functions, either through files initially installed or other files downloaded subsequently. It spreads by posting messages on Facebook, MySpace and Twitter, usually trying to get people to click a link to view some sort of video.

While this is an especially malicious piece of malware, the current Mac OS X implementation is flawed, and the threat is therefore low.
Both companies have conveniently noted that they offer products capable of identifying and eliminating the malware, although users without protection software should be alerted by the malware installation generating a Mac OS X dialog box regarding the attempted action.

Article Link: New Java-Based Malware Targets Mac OS X, But Threat Level Disputed
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
TennisandMusic

Hmm...it's starting?
TennisandMusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Lucky736
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lucky736 Send a message via Yahoo to Lucky736
If you're dumb enough to type your admin password, and sometimes username, along with clicking enter to something you have no idea about.... you deserve it.
Lucky736 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Bonch
Banned

There isn't much business for anti-virus Mac OSX software. They might make more money developing iPhone fart apps.
Bonch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Durendal
macrumors 6502

Callous as it may sound, anyone who lets Facebook install anything on their computer, especially something that asks for your password (does this even do that?), is an idiot. Sadly, idiots abound in the computer world. Just take a look at that intellectual hellhole known as Yahoo Answers. It's horrifying.
Durendal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:07 PM   #6
koobcamuk
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Hmm...it's starting?
My thoughts exactly.

And so, it begins.

This is what happens when average joe starts buying things I like.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Yvan256
macrumors 601

How do we completely delete Java from our system? I'm guessing a Spotlight search for "Java" will reveal most folders, but is there some other places to look for?
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:09 PM   #8
RichardI
macrumors 6502a

What are the odds that one of the companies mentioned in the original post would hire a hacker "under the covers" to create viruses and malware for the Mac so that they could then sell more anti-virus software?

Rich
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:09 PM   #9
morespce54
macrumors 65816

So what does it have to do with a "PhotoAlbum" certificate?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Xian Zhu Xuande
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Hmm...it's starting?
Probably an observation like this in every thread discussing every would-be threat for every year since OS X was initially released.
Xian Zhu Xuande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:10 PM   #11
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky736 View Post
If you're dumb enough to put your admin password, and sometimes user name along with it, in and click enter to something you have no idea about and don't see any of those as a flag...... you deserve it.
read the article again,

Quote:
which downloads other files to the computer, including an installer, which launches automatically. When run, the installer modifies system files to bypass the need for passwords, allowing outside access to all files on the system.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:12 PM   #12
sacredgeometry
macrumors newbie

Didnt they just release a java update? maybe it was to address this
sacredgeometry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:13 PM   #13
IMPMAC
macrumors member

What ever happened to the sandboxing thing in Java?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:16 PM   #14
alpharuin
macrumors newbie

Only days after Apple announces they will stop developing Java for Mac...
alpharuin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:17 PM   #15
zeemeerman2
macrumors 6502

I expect a security system update this evening to be rolled out fixing this issue.
zeemeerman2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:19 PM   #16
Fafafoooey
macrumors member

Pos

Java is just as bad as Flash. Security holes in it all over the place. Now that Oracle has taken over Sun, it will just get worse as Oracle is just a bigger Adobe.
Fafafoooey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:20 PM   #17
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky736 View Post
If you're dumb enough to Join social networking sites... you deserve it.
there, fixed that for you.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Yvan256
macrumors 601

The first, fastest and easiest way to counter such a problem is to uncheck the "Enable Java" checkbox in your Safari preferences. I haven't enabled Java in well over four years anyway.
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:25 PM   #19
Bevz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
read the article again,
So, is it true that this trojan can instal itself without the need for the user to type an admin password? If so, this seems a slightly higher level of threat to the usual "if you're dumb enough to type in your password..." type of trojans in the past...

I understand the article seems to suggest it, but is this behaviour confirmed?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:28 PM   #20
IMPMAC
macrumors member

I found a potential video that could be something

Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:29 PM   #21
gguerini
macrumors regular

Don't worry guys. Apple just dropped the support for Java on Lion!!
See, there was a reason. And you guys complaining... hahaha
gguerini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:29 PM   #22
Carlanga
macrumors 603

I bet you that SecureMac created this malware....
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:31 PM   #23
leodavinci0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevz View Post
So, is it true that this trojan can instal itself without the need for the user to type an admin password? If so, this seems a slightly higher level of threat to the usual "if you're dumb enough to type in your password..." type of trojans in the past...

I understand the article seems to suggest it, but is this behaviour confirmed?

They are not clear, which seems deliberate. Trojans are not like viruses, trojans require the user to accept it, thus the name. Since they say it runs an installer and modifies system files, it is probably requesting a password for the system through the installer. Note that all infections to date on Macs require the user to input their password to become infected. As stated above, anyone who actually gives the installer, that auto runs after playing the video, your password is not being cautious or educated and deserves it as a means of learning the hard way not to do this. There will never be a way to stop Trojans on any OS, it's the viruses that are the real threat.

Still no viruses for Macs.
leodavinci0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:33 PM   #24
jp102235
macrumors regular

if not java - what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
Java is just as bad as Flash. Security holes in it all over the place. Now that Oracle has taken over Sun, it will just get worse as Oracle is just a bigger Adobe.
wow, didn't know that - java applets were sold to us very secure - the whole sandbox concept. I see why sj wants to put that in the past - but what can replace it?
jp102235 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:34 PM   #25
frunkis54
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPMAC View Post
I found a potential video that could be something

the only potential problem i see is a can't watch the above video
frunkis54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion