Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I have a MBP 13", lately i have been searching for a SSD to speeed things up on my computer. I also have an iMac i7 which I do majority of work.

When the new MBA came out I was in awe because of the screen resolution. One thing I never liked about the MBP 13 actually the only draw back is the resolution because I was coming from a T61 which had 1440x900.

I have been searching for SSD (120GB) and it will cost me $280-300. Should I jsut upgrade the SSD or sell my MBP and pay the difference for 13 MBA. I will get the 4GB and 128GB SSD and wait for aftermarket at a later date.

Im not worried about storage because I have an external drive holding all my source files. I do want to use windows though.

Any thoughts?

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I've been using laptops to do my work for years. Currently I'm using a 15" mid 2010 MBP as my main portable. I just replaced my first generation MBA with a CTO 13" MBA maxed out with 4GB ram etc. I'm very pleased with it. Yet that said it really depends on your particular usage. I require the slim form factor & light weight for all the international air travel I do.

That said, it's too underpowered to use as a main laptop. Too limiting. If your usage does not demand much, the MBA is just great.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
At best, quick edits in LR or maybe maybe CS5. I have my main iMac for that type of work. I do like to weight..and the current MBP seems so much heavier.

I suspect I will need windows partition and I may run SQL on it for personal development. Other than that I depend on my iMac for most of the work at home. Portability would be great on MBA. I don't need the MBA but I was going to upgrade the the current HD to SSD but wondering if I should switch over now.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
I am trying to decide between the 13" Macbook Pro and the 13" Macbook AIr as my primary computer. I have an iPad that I love and have recently sold my desktop PC. They are both great machines but I'm worried the MacBook air will not handle some of the apps I use as well as the pro. I do a lot of encoding using handbrake to convert files for my apple tv.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Nah I don't think I'll give up my 13" MacBook Pro for an Air. However I am planning to get a SSD for it sometime :) I have no real need for an ultraportable, because my MBP never leaves my house. When I go to uni and have to take my computer all around uni I will certainly considor a 13" MBA. Couldn't really be my only computer though :( Hopefully I'll have an iMac at home by then too though! :D

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Considered it for a few minutes.

Realized that I need a faster CPU/GPU, not a downgrade. I also tend to work in the dark, an illuminated keyboard would be nice.

I had the same issue last year with the MBA vs MBP13. I ended up picking the MBP13 with the extra USB port, trackpad, and better performance (minus ssd).

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
I am trying to decide between the 13" Macbook Pro and the 13" Macbook AIr as my primary computer. I have an iPad that I love and have recently sold my desktop PC. They are both great machines but I'm worried the MacBook air will not handle some of the apps I use as well as the pro. I do a lot of encoding using handbrake to convert files for my apple tv.

If that's a considerable part of your workflow then you've just answered your own question.
What do you mean? BareFeats shows that the 13" MBA and MBP run neck to neck for HandBrake Convert to iPad (MPB 2.4 MHz 241 vs MBA 2.13 MHz 264)

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
NOPE, need the firewire, backlit keyboard, strong processor, longer battery life, cd drive (convenience), self replaceable hard drive

though the air is nice for travel but I'm not complaining with my 13 and that's from a person that commutes with it every single day

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
If you just need speed I would upgrade to a better SSD instead of the HDD. If you need a lighter notebook with a better screen resolution then I would get rid of the MBP and get the new MBA. I think the next generation MBP will have a better screen resolution and should be lighter.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
NOPE, need the firewire, backlit keyboard, strong processor, longer battery life, cd drive (convenience), self replaceable hard drive

though the air is nice for travel but I'm not complaining with my 13 and that's from a person that commutes with it every single day

+1 big thing was back lit keyboard. Have the 2009 high end 13 and will use it till next MBA update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.