Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:58 AM   #1
bthompson
macrumors member

Portenzo Case Review

After getting an iPad for "work purposes" from my company, (still trying to figure that one out, but okay!) I have been looking for the perfect iPad case. My company bought us the Apple case, and from the beginning I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the simplicity of it and the thin design were all a plus, but the material itself scratched easily, was always dirty and I could never find a good way to hold it. Basically, trying to hold it playing a Angry Birds = fail.

So I started looking into book style cases, and was immediately drawn to the Book Book by Twelvesouth. While I LOVED the exterior, I was not a fan of the interior straps that hold the iPad in place as well as the zippers, too much like an old world Trapper Keeper.

So I had a few more options: the DodoCase, the Pad and Quill, Treegloo and Portenzo. I wanted a DodoCase (not really sure why, probably just pure lust) but after reading so many reviews about the quality and the corners needing to be replaced, I took them off my list. I liked the Pad and Quill, but felt it looked too bulky and added too much weight. I was VERY intrigued by Treegloo, simply because of the price. However with no reviews out there, I just didn't want to get something that I knew nothing about.

Enter the Portenzo. After many weeks of searching, I decided on this case, for the style and reported upon quality. While the price was high (I got $6 off so $53 dollars total) I could not be happier. I ordered the case on Monday morning, within three hours I got an email that the case had shipped and I received it Wednesday, incredible!

The quality is EXCELLENT. The outside of the case is a very nice faux leather texture and it simply looks like a book or notebook on my desk. The leather is definitely fake and not the rich, moist leather on a Moleskine, but it's still nice. The iPad fits snugly into the bamboo case, and I love how you can see the whole front of the iPad, nothing covering up a little bit of the edge. I was surprised by how light the case is empty, which is a plus. Don't get me wrong, the whole package is heavier than what I am used to, but I think in a few days, I won't even realize it. Build quality is very good as well, one corner of mine isn't quite flat against the frame but it's not loose and and the whole product feels solid, well built and more expensive that it actually is.

Overall I would highly recommend this case for those of you looking for something stylish and simple for the iPad.
bthompson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:50 PM   #2
downingp
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the review. I would have to agree with you, I had a dodocase previously and feel the portenzo case is a far superior product. I would have to say my only concern is that I use a third party headphone and not the apple earbuds and have noticed due to the bamboo surrounding the headphone jack, I am not able to use my headphones. Not sure what to do about that. I sent an email to portenzo to ask if there was any future design changes in regards to this issue or the possibility of a custom order.

Last edited by downingp; Oct 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
downingp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Just had my first business trip with the Portenzo, and while I thought I might miss the slightly smaller size and versatility of the Yoobao Magic case, the Portenzo proved to be a very satisfying alternative. It's beautifully made and a pleasure to use. Having been through a number of other cases, it's my favourite so far.
Seamaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:20 PM   #4
prot0type
macrumors regular

Placed my order this morning, so I hope to see it sometime before next weekend.

How is the case for typing in landscape mode, anyone mind posting a pic?
prot0type is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Higgs1
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Higgs1
I'm torn between this and the slim magic too....argh it's a tough choice :-/
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:54 PM   #6
joeybuckets
macrumors regular

placed my order yesterday and got confirmation mine shipped today!!!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by prot0type View Post
Placed my order this morning, so I hope to see it sometime before next weekend. How is the case for typing in landscape mode, anyone mind posting a pic?
This is the one drawback of this type of case, and affects them all Dodocase, Portenzo, the lot. There's very little elevation, and what little there is is not very stable. I stick my iPhone underneath instead to prop it up.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #8
okrelayer
macrumors 6502a

I want to get the dodo, but would this be a better option? Overall?
okrelayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:41 AM   #9
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrelayer View Post
I want to get the dodo, but would this be a better option? Overall?
That is certainly the prevailing opinion in this forum at the moment, but afaik, nobody has had the Portenzo case long enough to really put it through the paces, so I'd take those opinions with a grain of salt...
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:53 AM   #10
okrelayer
macrumors 6502a

I first had the apple case, currently i use the macally bookstand. But I have been infatuated with the dodo since I came across it, well re- came across it. Its like a love affair at this point. I just want to make sure that love affair last along time!
okrelayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:47 PM   #11
Sterne
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prot0type View Post
Placed my order this morning, so I hope to see it sometime before next weekend.

How is the case for typing in landscape mode, anyone mind posting a pic?
I find that the Portenzo works well in typing mode. Here is a picture.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1131617884
Sterne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:51 PM   #12
prot0type
macrumors regular

Thanks for the pic

That angle works for me. When I'm out and about Im using a twelveSouth bookbook and I usually just fold the cover back so it's flat.

Can't wait, hopefully it ships tomorrow.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:21 PM   #13
PacMookBro
macrumors regular

Portenzo seems to be getting a lot of attention... Great reviews by the previous posters. Has anyone had guts to order the limited ostrich version? Black one is good enough but Ostrich skin looks awesome. I'm just curious.
PacMookBro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:51 AM   #14
Zman5225
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Zman5225 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5225
I need a case but I have ghost armor on my iPad. Think my iPad plus ghost armor would fit in this case? I don't want to remove the armor but ive read the tight fit of this case and I'm concerned it won't fit at all. Ant input would be great.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 04:03 AM   #15
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5225 View Post
I need a case but I have ghost armor on my iPad. Think my iPad plus ghost armor would fit in this case? I don't want to remove the armor but ive read the tight fit of this case and I'm concerned it won't fit at all.
I doubt it. The fit is exact.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:39 AM   #16
87vert
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMookBro View Post
Portenzo seems to be getting a lot of attention... Great reviews by the previous posters. Has anyone had guts to order the limited ostrich version? Black one is good enough but Ostrich skin looks awesome. I'm just curious.
I like the look of the stingray one but too afraid to ask how much. LOL
87vert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:59 PM   #17
PacMookBro
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
It's between 89 and 199. Probably 199 Portenzo is tempting... But, would the next revision iPad change its form (thinner perhaps)?

I'm keeping my iPad naked for now.
PacMookBro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Sterne
macrumors member

Stingray is $199, or at least it was when I asked on October 14.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:11 PM   #19
downingp
macrumors 6502a

How come I haven't heard of the Stingray option? Does Portenzo have it on their site with pictures?
downingp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:41 PM   #20
prot0type
macrumors regular

Stingray is listed among other types in the FAQ section. I think it's one of their custom types that of course cost more, but also take a little longer to make and receive.

Unfortunately, seems I probably won't be seeing my case till next week as it isn't shipping today as I had originally thought or would like it to have. At least that's according to Darin. Blah.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:43 PM   #21
Sterne
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downingp View Post
How come I haven't heard of the Stingray option? Does Portenzo have it on their site with pictures?
Follow this link and scroll all the way down:

http://shop.portenzo.com/Articles.asp?ID=6
Old Nov 2, 2010, 02:02 PM   #22
steviemax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
I have the Portenzo ostrich skin case. It's awesome. Very well made. I also have a Dodocase. I like both. The Dodo is lighter and, just a bit smaller. The Portenzo is more luxurious and seems to have more structural integrity. The Ipad fits very tightly. In fact, the ostrich exterior is so fantastic looking, I just ordered a Piel Frama notebook style with magnetic closure, with the same (ostrich) material. I haven't had either the Dodo or Portenzo for more than a couple of weeks so, I can't comment on durability but, they both appear to be well made.
steviemax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:50 PM   #23
omni
macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried the case that holds the stylus as well? How much bigger does it make the case? I can't get a good feel of it from the pictures.

You said the portenzo is heavier that the dodo? Hmm....by how much?
omni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:20 AM   #24
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni View Post
Has anyone tried the case that holds the stylus as well? How much bigger does it make the case? I can't get a good feel of it from the pictures.

You said the portenzo is heavier that the dodo? Hmm....by how much?
I would be interested in hearing the answers to these questions as well.

I just received my Dodocase, and I'm actually quite pleased with it - no quality issues, and the ipad fits very securely. It does make the ipad considerably larger and heavier than the Apple case, but I think I can live with it. The only problem is how to carry my stylus.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:48 AM   #25
Sterne
macrumors member

Zhenya-

Please post back after a couple of weeks and let us know if the corner pads are staying down. My experience is that new corner pads begin to peel up after about 4 days - the pressure that holds the ipad securely in the Dodo pulls the pads downward, and the part of the pad on top of the case eventually pops up.

Now, if they've fixed that problem with a better adhesive or a better design, I definitely want to know. I stopped using my Dodo when I got my Portenzo case, which I love, but I'd love to have the Dodo replaced if they've fixed this defect in the design.

Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories