Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orion126

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Anyone use this app yet? Has to be run from Winterboard and supposedly overclocks the iPhone. Author claims the only side effect is the battery life.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Im trying to not use winterboard after putting a pwned image on my phone. Everything is so much faster without winterboard, and far more stable. I dont see myself trying this unless its really good.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I installed this last night and to be honest, I cannot tell the difference. But I also cannot see a difference in battery life so I will keep it on for now. All this does is modify a plist, so wouldn't it be possible to do this without winterboard?

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Oh yeah,before anyone goes ape**** saying you can't OC the iphone, all this does is prevent downclocking to save battery life. But I still do not know if that's possible or not.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Im trying to not use winterboard after putting a pwned image on my phone. Everything is so much faster without winterboard, and far more stable. I dont see myself trying this unless its really good.
WinterBoard, assuming you turn SummerBoard mode off and don't run crazy themes with video wallpaper, does not slow the phone down. This is a fallacy.

Having said that, you couldn't pay me to use something like iOverclock....

S-

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
WinterBoard, assuming you turn SummerBoard mode off and don't run crazy themes with video wallpaper, does not slow the phone down. This is a fallacy.

Having said that, you couldn't pay me to use something like iOverclock....

S-

it absolutely does. Just having it installed makes transition animations slightly hesitant. Ive tested it quite a few times. You might not notice it, but I work with graphics and LCDs all day... I can tell very easily. Not to mention certain apps like to lock up with it installed after periodic use.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
it absolutely does. Just having it installed makes transition animations slightly hesitant. Ive tested it quite a few times. You might not notice it, but I work with graphics and LCDs all day... I can tell very easily. Not to mention certain apps like to lock up with it installed after periodic use.

Whatever.....you can claim the sky is falling if you want. It isn't.

S-

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I am not taking it personally. It's people like you that spread misinformation about WinterBoard that causes people to be afraid to use it.

Whatever....

S-

Really? I havent seen anyone deathly afraid of using winter board. I would make a video proving my point but I really dont care to.

Anyone with easy can see there is a clear difference with having WB installed vs not having it installed.

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
I am not taking it personally. It's people like you that spread misinformation about WinterBoard that causes people to be afraid to use it.

Whatever....

S-

Gonna have to agree with Sidewinder... I use Winterboard with no hit to battery life or stability. It's pretty annoying when people spread stuff like that.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Instability - BeeJive locks up every once in a while with it installed, not without it.

Transition animations are lower in frame rate. I can tell this easily, maybe you cant.

And honestly, who cares? If you love theming your phone, why are you even wasting your time arguing with me? I notice it on my phone (and every other phone I see with it on) and you dont. Leave it at that!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I looked into what this thing does and it does not overclock your iDeivce. All it does it modify the powermanagment plist to remove the reduce processor speed setting. Removing or altering these settings only result in the iDevice not being able to reduce the processor speed to save battery life when its in sleep mode. Thus, all it will do is drain your battery faster. I will also remind everyone that there is no publicly know way to make an Apple iDevice's CPU run faster then what Apple set it to.

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Gonna have to agree with Sidewinder... I use Winterboard with no hit to battery life or stability. It's pretty annoying when people spread stuff like that.

+1 See absolutely no difference on my phone as well

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
But you wrong, bunger. Just ask bbplayer5! :rolleyes:

S-

Seriously, grow up. 3 people on a message board agree with you, but ya, no chance im right. Since not using WB I have had 0 lockups, no Sad Mac faces, faster transitions opening folders etc.

But ya, I must be wrong, you said so.

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2009
I agree with Sidewinder too. I have many winterboard themes on right now, and really... there is no noticeable slowdown. If you do notice something, sorry to say your mind is playing tricks on you, or you're just looking for something to slow down.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Seriously, grow up. 3 people on a message board agree with you, but ya, no chance im right. Since not using WB I have had 0 lockups, no Sad Mac faces, faster transitions opening folders etc.

I agree that having Winterboard, even with summerboard off, causes jerkier transitions.

Maybe its cause I have a 3GS, and the slight hit to the CPU just causes somewhat jerkier transitions. Or maybe it's because there is half the memory, causing slowdowns. In any case, Winterboard does in fact impact my phone.

But I still like my theme so it's worth it.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal

Winterboard did the same for my phone, so it's off limits to me as well. Especially since it's just for theming (for the most part).

Resorting to insults is grade school. Just because it doesn't happen to you (or it does and you just don't notice or care) and a few others who bothered to post -- whoop dee doo. Not everyone who goes without a seatbelt dies in a fiery wreck either.

minii

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
I agree with Sidewinder, absolutely 100% no difference between winterboard being installed and not... well apart from my phone don't look like **** with big, ugly, multi-coloured icons covering up my wallpaper.

I agree with Sidewinder too. I have many winterboard themes on right now, and really... there is no noticeable slowdown. If you do notice something, sorry to say your mind is playing tricks on you, or you're just looking for something to slow down.

I think bli hit the nail on the head, you think there's a difference and therefore your mind is playing tricks on you.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
You and bbplayer5 are the ones that have been closest to insulting people here in this thread. So, you might want think a little bit more before you accuse people of something.

S-

Ha. You have an interesting definition of "insult" based off my grand total of one post in this thread, compared to your multiple derogatory posts to others.

Brilliant attempt at deflecting, though. So, carry on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.