Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littledigger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Manchester UK
:( I'm really disappointed that the new iTunes has stopped genius recommendations from the store. I don't know music that well and rely on genius to guide me and recommend music for me to buy. Am i missing something or has iTunes gone backwards? :confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Press Shift + Command + G to show the Genius Sidebar.

2lt0k0l.png

Or maybe you need to "Turn On Genius"?

littledigger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Manchester UK
What happens if you press the "Start Genius" icon on the lower left of the iTunes window, also pictured under #2 in the following screenshot.

When i press the genius button it slightly changes the playlist and shuffles the tunes slightly from my own library. But no new music recommendations from the store in the sidebar :(

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I think it's gone. This was one of my most used features and ever since Ping was introduced, the Genius Recommendations have been missing. Probably going to downgrade because of it - Apple seems hell bent on pushing Ping.

littledigger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Manchester UK
I think it's gone. This was one of my most used features and ever since Ping was introduced, the Genius Recommendations have been missing. Probably going to downgrade because of it - Apple seems hell bent on pushing Ping.

Absolutley. If you could tell me how to downgrade my iTunes.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That is really strange, as I have iTunes 10 and have just tested the Genius feature with success, it linked me to iTunes Store items in the Sidebar. It may be working for me, as I haven't used or activated Ping in any way.
OldMacApps used to carry older versions of iTunes, but now only has iTunes 9 as Windows version: http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php?old_itunes=48
You could use a torrent search engine like below (if moderators need to remove it, no problem), to find iTunes 9: http://www.torrentz.com/search?f=itunes+mac

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
Lame. I almost got really excited that there was a way to bring the genius sidebar back. On my machine it definitely says "show ping sidebar" where "show genius sidebar" used to be. :( Weird that spinnerlys' app is different if we're all running 10.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yeah, I only have Show Ping Sidebar (and it's grayed out, no matter what I have or don't have selected, dunno why). You can at least still go to the store and click Show Genius Recommendations, but you don't get the choice of what it bases them on, so not nearly as useful.

jW

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
iTunes

Apple also updated its iTunes media management software, although the changes don't require a software update, according to MacStories. The Cupertino, Calif., company has rechristened the "Ping Sidebar" that was introduced with iTunes 10.0.1 as the "iTunes Sidebar," restoring the much-missed Genius Recommendations section of the sidebar.

Meanwhile, some users have reported recent issues with iTunes, including problems downloading music or videos and being unable to view or post App Store reviews, though the problems do not seem to be particularly widespread.

from http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ix_data_loss_bug_modifies_itunes_sidebar.html

bob12

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
itunes 10.1

i discovered that w/ itunes 10.1 the right sidebar is combined with ping and genius recommendations from the store

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
Well, we're not being forced to use Ping but it's pretty obtrusive. I'd be happier without it cluttering up my music player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.