Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1
bigsnowdog
macrumors member

Monochrome laser compatible with G4 MDD & Intel Mac

I am still running my dual 1.25 ghz, MDD G4 and will be moving to an Intel Mac when I can afford it. I am considering buying a new printer that can work with my G4, and also with the Intel unit.

What are your recommendations for good, monochrome laser printers, and what do I need to know to make it work with either computer I mention?

Thank you.
bigsnowdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"I am still running my dual 1.25 ghz, MDD G4 and will be moving to an Intel Mac when I can afford it. I am considering buying a new printer that can work with my G4, and also with the Intel unit.
What are your recommendations for good, monochrome laser printers, and what do I need to know to make it work with either computer I mention?"

I have a Brother monochrome laser printer w/Ethernet (couple of years' old).

Works fine with my white Intel iMac, my g4/MDD (in both 10.4 and Classic), my MacBook Pro, etc.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:05 PM   #3
bigsnowdog
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
"I am still running my dual 1.25 ghz, MDD G4 and will be moving to an Intel Mac when I can afford it. I am considering buying a new printer that can work with my G4, and also with the Intel unit.
What are your recommendations for good, monochrome laser printers, and what do I need to know to make it work with either computer I mention?"

I have a Brother monochrome laser printer w/Ethernet (couple of years' old).

Works fine with my white Intel iMac, my g4/MDD (in both 10.4 and Classic), my MacBook Pro, etc.
I am about to reveal how little I know about this stuff, but... how do you connect your computer to internet and the printer via one ethernet port?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"how do you connect your computer to internet and the printer via one ethernet port?"

The computers and printer are plugged into a 4-port "wired" router. I use an older Belkin router (you can probably find these for $20 or less) from "before the wireless days".

It's possible that new laser printers also have wireless networking built right into them. In that case all you'd need is a wireless router.

The Brother laser I have also has a USB port for that method of connection.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:09 AM   #5
bigsnowdog
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
"how do you connect your computer to internet and the printer via one ethernet port?"

The computers and printer are plugged into a 4-port "wired" router. I use an older Belkin router (you can probably find these for $20 or less) from "before the wireless days".

It's possible that new laser printers also have wireless networking built right into them. In that case all you'd need is a wireless router.

The Brother laser I have also has a USB port for that method of connection.
Sitting right next to my computer is Netgear router, and it also happens to have wireless capability. I don't run this computer on a wireless connection, but have it for friends when they come over with laptops.

I looked at the printer and it does not have an ethernet connection. It has USB and parallel cable connections. I am guessing the parallel cable is an older method?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals