Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:47 PM   #1
macperegrine
macrumors newbie

Calling Dutch people - Help me with ONE (yes, just one) word...

Hello,

I was a bit unsure as to where to place this question. Since it relates to some design I'm doing, I thought maybe here was ok, if not: mod please move it

The Question: (In the middle of a whole bunch of text I have had translated into Dutch, I have a slight problem with the word: "competition" I have received two different options) Could you tell me the difference between PRIJSVRAAG and WEDSTRIJD?

Background: I am in the middle of versioning a piece of design for use in a number of European countries. The first translator we used had translated "competition" into "prijsvraag". Then we had it checked, and the second translator said it should be "wedstrijd".

Don't want to offend, by asking for FREE translation work (just thought that there might be some native speakers on here who could trump the professional translators). Was actually just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the difference between the two words.

P.S. Have tried google translate etc. but can't get an idea of the finer nuance in the meaning of the words.

Thanks for reading
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:51 PM   #2
kernkraft
Banned

I don't speak Dutch but my dog does.

Anyway, translation in Google can be so misleading... Try to put both versions of the sentence in the search engine and see whether anything featuring the same words in teh same order comes up.
kernkraft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:58 PM   #3
macperegrine
macrumors newbie

Thanks kernkraft for your reply!

Will try that.

Though, had actually had the word "competition" translated by actual Dutch people, but was wondering what the difference was between the two words (when read by someone who speaks/reads Dutch)

Cheers
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:59 PM   #4
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

Wedstrijd is more often used than prijsvraag. Vraag means question so it should only be used in a game or competition that has a question to be answered.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:05 PM   #5
macperegrine
macrumors newbie

Ossum! Teleromeo

Thanks for your reply, just what I needed.

Once again macrumors (and now teleromeo) comes to the rescue...

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

To further elaborate. Wedstrijd is probably better translated as 'match'. Like a football match for instance.

Whereas competition could directly be translated to 'competitie'.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Sander
macrumors 6502

Perhaps you can give us some of that surrounding text for context, and we can tell you which word fits better. We also use the word "competitie" but that probably translates as "a series of matches", or "season".

If the context is "join the competition for the best drawing" it would be a "wedstrijd" ("kleurwedstrijd" in this case), if it's more like "answer the following five questions and compete for a brand new iPad" it would be a "prijsvraag".
Sander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:04 AM   #8
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
We also use the word "competitie" but that probably translates as "a series of matches", or "season".
That is correct. When we talk about a footballmatch we say voetbalwedstrijd. If we are discussing the season we use voetbalcompetitie.

Quote:
If the context is "join the competition for the best drawing" it would be a "wedstrijd" ("kleurwedstrijd" in this case)
Tekenwedstrijd would be a better word if you are looking for a translation of competition for the best drawing. Kleurwedstrijd can only be used if you are providing a drawing that has to be coloured.

Quote:
if it's more like "answer the following five questions and compete for a brand new iPad" it would be a "prijsvraag".
IMO prijsvraag sounds obsolete, even in this case wedstrijd can be used.

By the way, I'm not Dutch but Belgian, I live in the Flemish(dutch) speaking part of the country.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:09 PM   #9
macperegrine
macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all the input. Very much appreciated!

I can see now, that I should have just posted the entire text, so that the context was apparent (my mistake ).

Anyway, it was for a photographic competition whereby people could enter by uploading a photo. We ultimately went for wedstrijd.

Thanks everyone for your help, really great
Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Sander
macrumors 6502

Sounds good - "fotowedstrijd" gives 6.5 million hits on Google
Sander is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics