Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winafred11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
I'm trying to connect my MacBook to my tv to play a slideshow in iPhoto. I've got just a regular old MacBook and got a mini-DVI to video adapter, as well as a male-male s-video cable to connect the computer to the tv. It gets all connected and on the tv I go to the setting to view it and all I get on the tv screen is the blank desktop, no icons or anything. The only thing that will show up on the tv from the computer is when I go to the display preferences to change the resolution setting. Now, I know the resolution of the computer doesn't totally match that of the tv but past that and the fact that I have them physically connected right now...I need help! Why isn't anything from the computer showing up on the tv?? Thanks in advance for helping, as well as putting up with my technological ignorance!

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
You're in extended view with the main screen as your MacBook. You can move items to the extended screen (the TV) by dragging them off the MacBook screen to the right or left depending on how they're oriented in display preferences.

Another option would be to change the settings in display preferences so that the TV is the menu screen by dragging the title bar simulation in the orientation setting from the smaller box to the larger box.

Or, you could goto Closed ClamShell mode where by the TV becomes the only display and you're MacBook is closed. In order to do this you must be using AC power and use an external mouse/keyboard.

Lastly, there's mirrored mode (also in display preferences) but that would make it so the TV resolution would equal your MacBooks resolution.

Here's an article for more info: Using an external display with a MacBook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.