Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hastyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Hey guys, installed windows 7 bootcamp on my new macbook pro, tried to get into the macbook side and notice during the boot, only windows 7 hd shows up? did i mess up the install? do i have to reinstall the mac osx cd and will my win7 side be fine?

thanks.

hastyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Hey sorry for the late reply, i was out of the country just got back. Open up disk Utilities, there are 4 drives

mac os x drive 70gb
windows 7 drive 100gb
data partition 300gb
other partition 100mb

I tried erasing the mac os x drive but it wouldnt let me, is there anyway of fixing this without having to format everything? I dont want to have to reinstall windows 7.

thank you.

Boot from the grey Restore DVD that came with your computer and open Disk Utility to see, how many partitions are left and if Mac OS X might be still on it.

Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
OK boot back to W7.

Have you installed the Boot Camp 3.x drivers and used Apple Software Update to get to the latest version?

Is your Mac OS partition loaded as read only?

Can you go to Control Panel -> Boot Camp -> Startup Disk and see if the Mac OS partition is available as a choice?

You can select it there to boot into Mac OS by default or you can hold the Alt/Option key at boot to select which OS to boot to. (You may already know this, but it wasn't clear from your original post).

B

hastyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I tried installing bootcamp 3.1 from the install dvd and after the reboot windows 7 wouldnt start up, so i had to do a last known good config option to get back into windows 7, from there i just manually installed what i needed ie sound drivers, videocard, etc. So i dont have the boot camp option in my control panel. Is there another version i can download?

OK boot back to W7.

Have you installed the Boot Camp 3.x drivers and used Apple Software Update to get to the latest version?

Is your Mac OS partition loaded as read only?

Can you go to Control Panel -> Boot Camp -> Startup Disk and see if the Mac OS partition is available as a choice?

You can select it there to boot into Mac OS by default or you can hold the Alt/Option key at boot to select which OS to boot to. (You may already know this, but it wasn't clear from your original post).

B

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I tried installing bootcamp 3.1 from the install dvd and after the reboot windows 7 wouldnt start up, so i had to do a last known good config option to get back into windows 7, from there i just manually installed what i needed ie sound drivers, videocard, etc. So i dont have the boot camp option in my control panel. Is there another version i can download?

No. You will have to install it manually as you did the other bits. Most likely it is a problem with the Apple HFS+ driver, gugucom has a number of posts in which he discusses the way to disable these drivers. e.g. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/11192766/

Please confirm that you actually have used the Alt/Option key to bring up the boot selector and only see Win7 as the only option. This remains unclear from your original post.

B

hastyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Yes like i said in the first post during the initial boot (using the alt key), only win7 shows up. I tried running the install disk and the disk utilities but it wont let me install a new copy of OS X, I dont care about fixing that drive since there was nothing important on it. Dont get why this is so hard to do ! Cant i just reformat this drive and install OS X without touching my other partitions?

So what files do i need to install from the disk to get the boot camp options in my win7 control panel?

thanks.

No. You will have to install it manually as you did the other bits. Most likely it is a problem with the Apple HFS+ driver, gugucom has a number of posts in which he discusses the way to disable these drivers. e.g. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/11192766/

Please confirm that you actually have used the Alt/Option key to bring up the boot selector and only see Win7 as the only option. This remains unclear from your original post.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Dont get why this is so hard to do ! Cant i just reformat this drive and install OS X without touching my other partitions?

Just for grins. Use the grey disk to run Disk Utility again and use it to verify and repair the Mac OS X partition. The fact that it is greyed out may indicate that it thinks there is an issue with it.

Sorry for double checking, but you have no idea how many times folks come here for help and the problem is that they make invalid assumptions (like doesn't the boot selector come up automatically) so I have to make sure we're on the same page.

B

hastyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Hey yes its grayed out, so its the one selected, ( 70gb)

http://img641.imageshack.us/i/36215385.jpg/

Just for grins. Use the grey disk to run Disk Utility again and use it to verify and repair the Mac OS X partition. The fact that it is greyed out may indicate that it thinks there is an issue with it.

Sorry for double checking, but you have no idea how many times folks come here for help and the problem is that they make invalid assumptions (like doesn't the boot selector come up automatically) so I have to make sure we're on the same page.

B

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Can you select your HDD (red rectangle around it, upper left) and select VERIFY or REAPIR DISK (red rectangle, bottom right)?

bdrsjd.png

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I don't think you have a Mac OS partition anymore.

The partition scheme is listed as MBR and that first partition type is listed as Windows_LDM (Logical Drive Manager).

At this point I would suggest installing OS X onto an external drive (FireWire is you have one) and continue debugging from there.

B

hastyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
dammit, Ok no problem, i guess ill just save an image of windows 7 and reinstall everything.

I don't think you have a Mac OS partition anymore.

The partition scheme is listed as MBR and that first partition type is listed as Windows_LDM (Logical Drive Manager).

At this point I would suggest installing OS X onto an external drive (FireWire is you have one) and continue debugging from there.

B

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I agree with balamw, though I'm flabbergasted why the partitions show up as disk0sX. That normally means a repair is in order and the partitions might be screwed.

Btw, if you don't have a Firewire HDD handy, you can also use a USB HDD, but know, that you must use Mac OS Extended (HFS+) as file system.

hastyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I don't get what the point of installing mac osx on an external drive?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
you must use Mac OS Extended (HFS+) as file system.

And GPT as the partition scheme. IIRC 10.6 will not boot from MBR.

I don't get what the point of installing mac osx on an external drive?

It leaves your current W7 install alone until you can figure out what you did wrong and lets you get back to Mac OS just fine.

If you reinstall the same way you are likely to end up in the same situation. (EDIT: Depending on how you image it that might also lead you back to the exact same spot. you certainly can't use Winclone without running OS X somehow)

Having Mac OS on an external HDD just gives you more debug options.

B

hastyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
hmm ok, I was just gonna use the win7 backup image option.

And GPT as the partition scheme. IIRC 10.6 will not boot from MBR.

It leaves your current W7 install alone until you can figure out what you did wrong and lets you get back to Mac OS just fine.

If you reinstall the same way you are likely to end up in the same situation. (EDIT: Depending on how you image it that might also lead you back to the exact same spot. you certainly can't use Winclone without running OS X somehow)

Having Mac OS on an external HDD just gives you more debug options.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
hmm ok, I was just gonna use the win7 backup image option.

It sounds to me like you somehow ended up making the whole HDD a dynamic disk. Dynamic disks are great if you are running only Windows, but are less compatible with dual boot situations than the alternative basic disks.

I don't have enough experience with W7 imaging to know if you can restore an image from a dynamic disk back to a basic disk or whether it will force you to go back to a dynamic disk (and thus end up back where you are now).

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.