Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did (would) you buy a MacBook Air to replace your MBP13?

• Yes, my 2010 MBP13

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • Yes, my 2009 MBP13

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Yes, an older MBP13

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Yes, my MacBook

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • No, not buying it, I'm more likely to replace my MB/MBP13 at the next refresh

Votes: 20 20.4%

• Total voters

Yinmay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Did (would) you buy a MacBook Air to replace your MBP13?
Note, this poll is not targeted at people who bought the Air as an additional device to their existing arsenal.

Basically I just bought an MBA11 and I feel guilty because it was an impulsive purchase. I couldn't resist it but I don't really need it. My 2009 MBP13 (c2d/nvidia9400) is enough for everything I use it for. It's my only computer (I plug it to an external display when at home).

In terms of performance, SSD aside, it's very similar, neither worse nor better. I basically paid $1300 for less weight. I feel it wasn't a wise decision. Should I reconsider? Did you buy it to replace your MBP?

PS: if I keep it, I'm giving my old MBP to my brother.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Fail - you didn't give enough options in your poll. ;)

Some of us are replacing MBP 15"s.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I would rather have the MBA 13" with higher res screen and SSD than my GF's early 2010 13" MBP. Only thing I miss from the Pro is the backlit keyboard.. however I haven't had any trouble seeing the keys so its more just for looks I guess.

lespaul85

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
I have a MBP 13", an MBP 17", and an 11.6" MBA. I couldn't do without my 17" since the 1920x1200 is just incredible, but it's a monster and heavy. Comparing the 13" MBP and the 11.6 MBA, I am far more of a fan of the 11.6. The 13" MBP was bought for my wife last year and I've got plenty of time using it. The battery life is good, but the 11.6 does everything it does, has just as good a screen (with better density obviously), and is so much easier just to grab and bring with me if I go for a drink or some food somewhere (much more along the lines of the ipad convenience). I don't mind no backlighting, since that's just getting nitpicky. It's just as capable a computer with faster hard drive and super impressive ultraportable design.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I can't answer your poll. I bought an 11.6" 1.6GHz/4GB MacBook Air to replace my 2007-model 15" MacBook Pro. That was not an answer on your "limited" poll options.

Alvesang

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Germany
I voted no. My MBP 13" 2010 (equipped with an SSD) is much faster than the new MBAs due to the faster processor and more RAM (8 GB). I would miss Firewire as well. For portable and casual use I have an iPad which in my opinion could not be substituted with an MBA either, since the touch control is still more comfortable then a keyboard and a trackpad when it comes to surfing the web. I'm writing this on my iPad, by the way.

I do however have tried the new MBAs at a local store and the ME-WANTS-factor is insanely high, even though I'd have no real use for them. So, getting rid of my MBP for it? No way. Getting one nonetheless? Huge maybe... ;)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
What about a 'I just wanted to vote' option? :p
Just kidding! Would like to replace my 15" MBP with one but the Air isn't powerful enough, no FW800, too small flash memory, max RAM isn't enough etc.

My perfect computer:

- Runs Lion
- Thin/light as 13" air
- 13-15" screen
- FW800
- 512GB SSD
- 4-8GB RAM
- AFFORDABLE

Lol, will never get that.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I believe when SSDs come down in price ... even less people will consider trading in a MBP for the Air.

The MBP really does seem like a sweet spot for Laptops:cool:

megasad

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
I've got a six month old 13" MacBook Pro and would very much like to trade it in for a maxed out 11" Air. If anyone's interested, the details are on another forum:

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketplace/425854/fs-13-macbook-pro-1tb-hard/

The ultimate plan would be to sell that and to then buy both an 11" and 13" Air, to then swap the 256GB SSD from the later with the 128GB SSD in the former, to sell the 128GB 13" Air on to someone else who wants one. Anyone feel like doing that?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I've got a six month old 13" MacBook Pro and would very much like to trade it in for a maxed out 11" Air. If anyone's interested, the details are on another forum:

The ultimate plan would be to sell that and to then buy both an 11" and 13" Air, to then swap the 256GB SSD from the later with the 128GB SSD in the former, to sell the 128GB 13" Air on to someone else who wants one. Anyone feel like doing that?

one problem is ... you cannot swap the SSD without voiding the warranty on the new MBA:cool:

megasad

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
one problem is ... you cannot swap the SSD without voiding the warranty on the new MBA:cool:
Parp.

With my freshly-reactivated student discount, I could get someone a 128GB 13" MacBook Air for 15% less than the regular price... But I guess that wouldn't be enough of an incentive?

Yinmay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks for the input guys!

I can't answer your poll. I bought an 11.6" 1.6GHz/4GB MacBook Air to replace my 2007-model 15" MacBook Pro. That was not an answer on your "limited" poll options.
Agreed, there are many other situations. My intention wasn't to cover all scenarios. My logic, I guess, is that for 15" and 17" users it's a huge size and weight difference and thus it's a purchase that can be easily justified.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

megasad said:

Would that work??
That sounds like an awesome idea (apart from the warranty business) damn Apple, I would order a larger SSD for the 11" if they made it an option.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
So, this isn't super scientific but interesting nonetheless:

I have a mid 2010 MBP 15" 2.66 i7 w/8Gb of ram and the matte screen. I posted it on Craigslist 2 weeks before the MBA refresh to raise funds to get the MBA. I got lots of low 2,000s with the best being 2,350, but by this offer, the MBA event was 1 day away so figured I'd wait and see what was actually released.

Fast forward to today, not only have all my original bidders gone away (to be fair, some bought the MBA others found other MBPs), the more interesting fact is I am getting absolutely no new replies to my ad (which I renew every few days). Prior to the MBA refresh, I would get at least 1-2 emails daily.

rubberwheels

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
I'm still trying to sell off my mid-2009 MBP. So I can buy the 11.6 MBA. I bought the pro as a bring to school laptop and I needed something lighter.

style

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2005

I'm on the same boat here, except I wanted the 13" max'd out version to be my primary Mac. Reasons being that the 13" has the same resolution as the old 15" mbp, performance wise they're also pretty close.

In geekbench the mba's 2.13GHz is only slightly slower than the mbp's 2.4GHz.(3k vs 3.3k) The 320M also proved to be slightly higher performance than the one in a 13" mbp, that should makes it almost have identical performance as the 15" mbp but with the added advantage of better openCL/hardware H.264 decode support and half the weight.

May I ask if you did any 3D graphics or gaming on the mbp? Is the mba any slower than the old mbp? I intend to use the CS5 suite (Ps, Ai, Id) and 3D (modo 401 and solidworks under windows).

Cheers.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I'm on the same boat here, except I wanted the 13" max'd out version to be my primary Mac. Reasons being that the 13" has the same resolution as the old 15" mbp, performance wise they're also pretty close.

In geekbench the mba's 2.13GHz is only slightly slower than the mbp's 2.4GHz.(3k vs 3.3k) The 320M also proved to be slightly higher performance than the one in a 13" mbp, that should makes it almost have identical performance as the 15" mbp but with the added advantage of better openCL/hardware H.264 decode support and half the weight.

May I ask if you did any 3D graphics or gaming on the mbp? Is the mba any slower than the old mbp? I intend to use the CS5 suite (Ps, Ai, Id) and 3D (modo 401 and solidworks under windows).

Cheers.

Macbook Air (2010) - Photoshop CS5 Comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhulqL96qcs

saw this comparison yesterday, don't know if it helps. :)

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Anyone knows how to ensure that the refurb MBA that you're buying is a 4GB model? Apple doesn't usually show the accurate specs for RAM for the models on the refurb store right?

megasad

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
Anyone knows how to ensure that the refurb MBA that you're buying is a 4GB model? Apple doesn't usually show the accurate specs for RAM for the models on the refurb store right?

Any MacBook Airs currently in the Refurb Store will be an older model and they only ever came with 2GB RAM. In a few months time, then you'll have to worry whether or not the listinggs are accurate for the new models.

megasad

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
Would that work??
That sounds like an awesome idea (apart from the warranty business) damn Apple, I would order a larger SSD for the 11" if they made it an option.

It really should, yes. The modules are exactly the same size and the only reason I think Apple don't offer it as an option is so as to upsell folk to the 13" model.

So, would anyone like to buy an almost-brand-new 13" MacBook Air (1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD) for just £949, instead of the usual £1,099?

I want to buy the 256GB 13", plus a maxed out 11" model (1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD), and swap their SSDs around.

So, on the plus side you'll save £150 compared to buying it new from Apple. I'll be very careful with the swapping, will even leave the plastic sheath all over the top, don't worry :)

On the negative side, as Apple OC mentioned above, this will void the 1-year warranty, there'd not be much point paying for the 3-year AppleCare either.

Also, if you like, I can order the 13" with the 2.13GHz CPU and/or the 4GB RAM too, you'll obviously just need to pay the difference. As you'll not be paying the extra £250 for the 256GB SSD, that means you can get the 2.13GHz CPU for just £80 instead of £330 :)

So, is anyone interested?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.