Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to mgartner0622
iPhone 3GS- Not starting up - Stuck at apple logo after "erase all settings"

Hello,

I'm very sad to say that my jail-broken and unlocked (T-Mobile) iPhone 3GS 32GB is acting up after I did an "erase all content and settings" after the phone was having issues and being very slow.
It shows the apple logo, then the apple logo with the loading circle and little line of dead pixels like it did when i first jail broke it.
The loading circle goes around for 2 minutes, then freezes, and thats where it stays indefinitely.
I've restarted it until it got into the "connect to itunes" screen, and if i try and restore with an image from the new pwnage tool, it fails (with error 19 or 21 if i remember correctly)

Please help if you can, your time is very much appreciated.
Thank you
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

You wont get anywhere without a restore.
If you're using a mac I'd use pwnage tool to create a custom 4.1 JB IPSW and restore to that.
This way you preserve your baseband and update to the latest 4.1 firmware.
Do not restore or update to official 4.1 thru itunes, you will lose your ability to unlock the phone.
Follow this: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12349
Then open up Cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock.
And next time dont hit the erase all content and settings cause you'd be stuck again.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:03 AM   #3
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
You wont get anywhere without a restore.
If you're using a mac I'd use pwnage tool to create a custom 4.1 JB IPSW and restore to that.
This way you preserve your baseband and update to the latest firmware.
Then open up Cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock.
And next time dont hit the erase all content and settings cause you'd be stuck again.

That's what i've tried to do. I've put the phone in restore mode... and all that happens is i get error 21 if I try and restore from a pwnage tool image.
I have iTunes 9. Should I upgrade to 10?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:03 AM   #4
Myzhi
macrumors 6502a

"Erase all" deletes everything off the phone, including the OS. The pwnagetool and custom firmware made from it requires you be on Mac. And, yes, upgrade to latest ITunes. Believe, phone also needs to be in DFU mode.
Myzhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:05 AM   #5
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzhi View Post
"Erase all" deletes everything off the phone, including the OS. The pwnagetool and custom firmware made from it requires you be on Mac. And, yes, upgrade to latest ITunes.
I'm on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.6.3
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:05 AM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgartner0622 View Post
That's what i've tried to do. I've put the phone in restore mode... and all that happens is i get error 21 if I try and restore from a pwnage tool image.
I have iTunes 9. Should I upgrade to 10?
You're using pwnage on a mac right?
You cannot restore to a custom IPSW made thru pwnage on a windows machine I hope you know that.
Pwnage needs to put your iphone in DFU and it runs the exploit so without running pwnage while having your iphone plugged in to the mac then it wont go thru.
And yes update your itunes to the latest version if you didnt already.
Make sure you follow the instructions on how to put your iphone on DFU mode when you run pwnage.
If you dont succesffuly put it in DFU mode itunes wont let you restore to it.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:27 AM   #7
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You're using pwnage on a mac right?
You cannot restore to a custom IPSW made thru pwnage on a windows machine I hope you know that.
Pwnage needs to put your iphone in DFU and it runs the exploit so without running pwnage while having your iphone plugged in to the mac then it wont go thru.
And yes update your itunes to the latest version if you didnt already.
Make sure you follow the instructions on how to put your iphone on DFU mode when you run pwnage.
If you dont succesffuly put it in DFU mode itunes wont let you restore to it.
Here is the problem-
It's in recovery mode, not DFU Mode.
The phone won't successfully start up, so I can turn it off and put it in DFU mode. (unless there is another way to do it, without having the phone completely on)
I need a way to fix it so it can be restored WITHOUT losing my ability to unlock, as I use this phone daily with T-Mobile.

Thank you
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:48 AM   #8
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Ok, now I think I've gotten the phone in DFU Mode.
However, when I try and restore (This in on my mac running the newest version of iTunes trying to restore from a PWNagetool image)
It is a newer style USB cable and I have tried switching USB ports. The phone is connected directly to the computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-10-30 at 11.47.13 PM.png
Views:	69
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	258071  
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:28 AM   #9
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Ok, now I think I've gotten the phone in DFU Mode.
However, when I try and restore (This in on my mac running the newest version of iTunes trying to restore from a PWNagetool image)
It is a newer style USB cable and I have tried switching USB ports. The phone is connected directly to the computer.
The 1600 error is caused by putting the phone in DFU manually. You must put the phone in DFU with pwnage tool. Close itunes, launch pwnage tool again and select the DFU option at top and work with the Time count down through pwnage tool. Part of the exploit is injected at this stage if you miss it you will always get the 1600 error. The original 21 error is because you were in recovery and not DFU.

If this fails redo the customer IPSW and when Pwnage gets the phone in DFU then you close pwnage and open itunes. Then option restore to custom ipsw.
nebo1ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:49 AM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Like said above, take your time and follow the steps again in putting your iphone in DFU with Pwnage.
No other way, you just gotta time it right and it will go thru.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:51 AM   #11
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Like said above, take your time and follow the steps again in putting your iphone in DFU with Pwnage.
No other way, you just gotta time it right and it will go thru.
I can't really get it into DFU mode without having the ability to turn it on, as it does not boot fully.
If i restore the phone with iTunes, then put it in DFU mode and restore from the pwnage tool image, will I loose my jailbreak/unlock?

Thank you for your help

Last edited by mgartner0622; Oct 31, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
mgartner0622 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:36 PM   #12
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yes, you will lose the unlock.
Do you have a hardware issue? Why won't it turn on?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:52 PM   #13
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I can't really get it into DFU mode without having the ability to turn it on, as it does not boot fully.
If i restore the phone with iTunes, then put it in DFU mode and restore from the pwnage tool image, will I loose my jailbreak/unlock?

Thank you for your help
You do not have to be able to boot the phone to get it in DFU. The only thing that should prevent DFU is if you have a faulty button. Hold down both buttons and count to ten release top button until you get a black screen then release bottom button. Ignore any screens that appear during this process and keep trying you will get there eventually. The errors you reported of 1600 and 21 suggest you have successfully put the phone in both DFU and recovery at some time
nebo1ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:08 AM   #14
CryingElectron
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb

Hi,

It's simple, you only need to put your phone in DFU mode using Pwnage tool, not manually and everything will go fine then. That's it...

I suggest you to read some 'good' guide for restoring to a custom firmware using pwnage tool 4.1 and I am pretty sure that your problem will be resolved.

Best Regards,
-CryingElectron
CryingElectron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:09 PM   #15
PinoySaMI
macrumors member

I have the same problem. I got my iphone at DFU mode but my itunes still doesn't recognize my iphone.

How can I make my itunes recognize my iphone?
PinoySaMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:59 PM   #16
LinMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoySaMI View Post
I have the same problem. I got my iphone at DFU mode but my itunes still doesn't recognize my iphone.

How can I make my itunes recognize my iphone?
Sometimes rebooting your Mac will fix that.
LinMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:04 AM   #17
PinoySaMI
macrumors member

Red face

Just had my iphone fix but it is now in OS 4.1.

While itunes is up and iphone connected to your Mac computer, put your iphone in recovery mode. Your itune should recognize your iphone and just follow the instruction.

I tried to restore my iphone using jail break and unlock OS 4.0 or 4.01 but won't work. It only worked when I restore it using latest OS 4.1 from apple.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:41 AM   #18
scirica
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoySaMI View Post
Just had my iphone fix but it is now in OS 4.1.

While itunes is up and iphone connected to your Mac computer, put your iphone in recovery mode. Your itune should recognize your iphone and just follow the instruction.

I tried to restore my iphone using jail break and unlock OS 4.0 or 4.01 but won't work. It only worked when I restore it using latest OS 4.1 from apple.
Careful putting out information like this. The OP specifically said he/she cannot lose their unlock, so full Apple firmware restore is not an option (only a last resort).
scirica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 08:18 PM   #19
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

I got it fixed, thanks for the help everyone!

I restored from a stock 4.0.0 image (so I didn't loose my unlock) and it worked.
I then proceeded to upgrade to 4.1.2 Via Pwnage tool and unlock.

Thank you again.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 02:48 PM   #20
PinoySaMI
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Careful putting out information like this. The OP specifically said he/she cannot lose their unlock, so full Apple firmware restore is not an option (only a last resort).
I was just sharing what I did to get out of that situation...as my last resort.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:14 AM   #21
sincross911
macrumors newbie

@op- did your 3gs have old bootrom or the new one..im asking because im in the same situation..
sincross911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 05:03 AM   #22
gngan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hello,

I did an "erase all content and settings" after the phone was having issues and being very slow.
Not a very wise decision. Don't ever do this again or else you will come back and cry.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:26 AM   #23
jdubsub1
macrumors newbie

Help with iPhone 3GS (new bootrom)

I really need some help, so I will put this out there. I have an iPhone 3GS (Newboot) and I tried to jailbreak it for use with T-mobile. I already had updated the software to 4.2.1 before I tried to jailbreak it. I went through the jailbreak procedure using redsn0w for windows...I downloaded the *.ispw file for the 4.2.1 iphone 3gs, went through the jailbreak procedure. It installed fine...then I rebooted (tethered - through redsn0w) to access Cydia and installed Ultrasnow. After another tethered reboot, the t-mobile sim card would show up, then disappear, show up, disappear for no reason. I tried to un-install/re-install ultrasnow, same results.

Then, without thinking, I tried to restore the iPhone through Itunes (bad idea), and it looked like it went through the whole restore process and it messed up the iPhone completely. Now, the iPhone will automatically reboot when I turn it off (when plugged into the PC via USB), but it will always show the Itunes + USB screen, but obviously it will not restore at all. Never makes it through. I think I really messed it up. I have tried to re-jailbreak it to get it back to where I could actually get the phone to the software, but it just stays stuck on the Itunes screen. Can't fix it. I have downloaded different tools, such as Umbrella, iREB, etc, and they do not fix the problem, and I cannot fix the iPhone. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
jdubsub1 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:01 PM   #24
awadeee
macrumors 68020

Try to get the phone in DFU mode and do a shift+restore and keep trying till it works? I had to restore my 3GS three times yesterday before it would work.
awadeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:39 PM   #25
rastanath
macrumors newbie

pleasee help

hey everyone, i have a similar problem on iphone 3gs 4.1 unlocked and jailbroken with ipad baseband, i belive is the new bootroom and i dont have the shsh saved.
i thought that i was going to be able to upgrade to 4.3 today with no problem but im getting the 1015 error on itunes, right now the phone its on recovery and im not able to take it out, any advice i would really appreciate it
rastanath is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks