Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:44 AM   #1
WardC
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to WardC
Max storage capacity card available for SD card slot?

OK, here is a question. If you have a 13" 2010 MacBook Air with the SD card slot, and you are looking for a card to expand the capacity of your MacBook Air, what is the max capacity card currently available that you can use in this slot. I hear that they have new cards with capacities of up to 2TB, but are these cards compatible with the SD card slot on the MacBook Air? (SDXC 2TB cards)

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Stingray454
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
OK, here is a question. If you have a 13" 2010 MacBook Air with the SD card slot, and you are looking for a card to expand the capacity of your MacBook Air, what is the max capacity card currently available that you can use in this slot. I hear that they have new cards with capacities of up to 2TB, but are these cards compatible with the SD card slot on the MacBook Air? (SDXC 2TB cards)
2TB is just the theoretical max size - the largest SDXC card on the market right now seems to be 64Gb. Anyways, there has been a lot of discussion whether MBA supports SDXC or not, but somone posted an apple forum screenshot when apple support confirmed that it does NOT support SDXC. That would mean it's only a SDHc slot, with a 32Gb max storage size.

I hope the apple support was wrong, but so far everything seems to point at the port beeing SDHC.
Stingray454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:01 PM   #3
WardC
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to WardC
What about this?

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:05 PM   #4
spinnerlys

Quote:
What about this?

Thumb resize.
That is not an existing card, or at least not one publicly available. It is meant to showcase the ability to produce SDXC cards with the ability to hold 2TB one day. Right now, 64GB seems to be the limit.

Even the page you quoted from, while being very obscure in its navigation, only offers 64GB: http://www.sdxcs.com/, though it mentions 2TB again. Hmm.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:27 PM   #5
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Not a comment about the size of the SD card, but I think your bigger concern is that the SD card will hang out of the slot. For whatever reason, starting with the 2010 MBP line, Apple chose to not give us a SD slot that will take all the SD card. A full 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the card remains outside the unit while it is seated in the slot. This isn't a problem when the MBA is stationary, but if you are like me and are constantly slipping the MBA in/out of a sleeve or a backpack all day long, you run the risk of catching it on something and/or even damaging the card.

I've instead started using a 64GB USB 'mini' plug for flash storage. Currently, this holds my entire extended document library on it. That way, no matter which laptop I carry with me for the day, I just slide this into one of the free USB slots and I'm off and running. I use DropBox for my "active" files, but this type of approach gives me something thats very small and unobtrusive and doesn't stick out as far as the SD card would.

Looks like this when plugged in:

I've experimented with putting my entire iTunes library on here but have encountered a few issues using it that way.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Loonytik
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post
I've experimented with putting my entire iTunes library on here but have encountered a few issues using it that way.
What issues? Please explain further.....
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:08 PM   #7
MikePA
Banned

Quote:
I hear that they have new cards with capacities of up to 2TB, but are these cards compatible with the SD card slot on the MacBook Air? (SDXC 2TB cards)
Even if it was, you couldn't afford the 2TB SDXC card. A 64gb SDXC card is $350.

Last edited by MikePA; Oct 31, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
MikePA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Bleh5
macrumors member

Quote:
Not a comment about the size of the SD card, but I think your bigger concern is that the SD card will hang out of the slot. For whatever reason, starting with the 2010 MBP line, Apple chose to not give us a SD slot that will take all the SD card. A full 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the card remains outside the unit while it is seated in the slot. This isn't a problem when the MBA is stationary, but if you are like me and are constantly slipping the MBA in/out of a sleeve or a backpack all day long, you run the risk of catching it on something and/or even damaging the card.

I've instead started using a 64GB USB 'mini' plug for flash storage. Currently, this holds my entire extended document library on it. That way, no matter which laptop I carry with me for the day, I just slide this into one of the free USB slots and I'm off and running. I use DropBox for my "active" files, but this type of approach gives me something thats very small and unobtrusive and doesn't stick out as far as the SD card would.

More information on the USB plug, please? That's got to be the shortest drive I've ever seen.
Bleh5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:50 PM   #9
goodtimes5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

What class microSDHC card are you using? Is class 2 adequate? I am also interested in the issues that you had running iTunes off of it.
goodtimes5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:51 PM   #10
goodtimes5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleh5 View Post
More information on the USB plug, please? That's got to be the shortest drive I've ever seen.
http://www.amazon.com/elago-Mobile-microSDHC-Memory-Reader/dp/B002HGFKR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288558229&sr=8-1

That's what I just bought. Am looking for a reasonably priced microSDHC card now.
goodtimes5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:09 PM   #11
bowlerman625
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Oh yeah! I just bought one of these yesterday (a smaller capacity though) for use with my new MacBook Air. It's amazing how tiny it is!

It's a Lexar ECHO ZE USB drive

Last edited by bowlerman625; Oct 31, 2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: addition
bowlerman625 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:16 PM   #12
CaoCao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Current SDXC cards go up to 64GB, the MBA can use all SDXC cards
CaoCao is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:03 PM   #13
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

Is a SD card or one of these aforementioned USB mini-drives actually usable with the MBA?

How fast are they? Fast enough for you to keep your iPhoto library on it? Or is it all spinning beachballs with these things?

Also, how much $$ are these things roughly?
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:21 AM   #14
Stingray454
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zub3qin View Post
Is a SD card or one of these aforementioned USB mini-drives actually usable with the MBA?

How fast are they? Fast enough for you to keep your iPhoto library on it? Or is it all spinning beachballs with these things?

Also, how much $$ are these things roughly?
I bought one of those mini-usb drives (32Gb) yesterday. Works like a charm, and hardly noticeable when it's plugged in (though mine has a blue led that flashes when accessing data - somewhat annoying tbh).

I got 20Mb/s writing to the drive and faster when reading, and that's good enough for me. I think the device stated 16Mb/s write speed as max, and 30Mb/s for reading, but OS X showed me number in excess of 20Mb sustained speed when writing

It was a bit costly, converted from local currency about $150 USD.
Stingray454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:34 AM   #15
Corax
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Corax
For €32,- I bought a Class6 16GB SDHC Kingston Ultimate card.
It's okay, but data transfer read/write was faster on my iMac than it is on my Air.
Corax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:38 AM   #16
Boston007
macrumors 6502

Awesome

This is a great idea. I use DropBox for my "active" files but this is an excellent addition.

I can also just plug it in my Mac Pro when needed for backups, OR backup over my network.

I guess the problem would be to remind myself to backup

Thanks for the info!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:31 AM   #17
Glaxx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the problems you've had with iTunes on here? I've been looking at doing this as well, or some other solution similar to this.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:39 AM   #18
foiden
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray454 View Post
It was a bit costly, converted from local currency about $150 USD.
That's not a bad performance for a USB. I was more worried that USB would be a lot slower than that. Someone actually did confirm working with a SDXC 64GB card on the MBA13. So it looks that external (but petite) options are there, and much better than tugging a drive with you since it hardly increases the footprint of the device.
foiden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:29 PM   #19
wenjun88
macrumors newbie

MBA 2011 support 64GB SDXC?

Looking alternative storage for my MBA 2011. An SD would be perfect as it is hidden inside the slot, unlike USB. Does current mba model support 64GD SDXC?
wenjun88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:32 PM   #20
kilonet
macrumors member

Quote:

Wow I think ill consider this for my new 11".
kilonet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air