Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamhonlun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
I have rip some movies with HandBrake including srt subtitles.

I have no problem turning the subtitles on/off on my iPhone 4. But how can I enable subtitles on iTunes?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have rip some movies with HandBrake including srt subtitles.

I have no problem turning the subtitles on/off on my iPhone 4. But how can I enable subtitles on iTunes?

When you're playing the movie in iTunes, hover your mouse over the picture and you should see an icon on the right hand side of the playback controls that looks like a text bubble. Select that and you can toggle subtitles on or off.

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
When you're playing the movie in iTunes, hover your mouse over the picture and you should see an icon on the right hand side of the playback controls that looks like a text bubble. Select that and you can toggle subtitles on or off.

While we're on the subject, how do you select subtitles (and other audio tracks) on the new apple tv?

lamhonlun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010

I still don't get the text bubble even i hover my mouse to the control bar in iTunes.

Screenshot2010-11-03at220351.png

IMG_0114.png

lamhonlun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010

I am expecting you are referring to iTunes 9.2
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iTunesMac/9.2/en/20868.html

However, I am using iTunes 10 and it does not show the text bubble even though I have checked the box of Show closed caption when available.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I am expecting you are referring to iTunes 9.2
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iTunesMac/9.2/en/20868.html

However, I am using iTunes 10 and it does not show the text bubble even though I have checked the box of Show closed caption when available.

I'm using version 10.1 as well. There is also an option to enable specific audio and subtitle tracks under the Controls drop down menu in iTunes. Is that available or is it grayed out? The closed captioning box shouldn't make a difference as I was able enable an .srt subtitle track with or without it checked.

If the ability to enable it using the drop down isn't available, I'm out of ideas, sorry. Essentially it appears iTunes isn't recognizing the presence of the subtitle track--not sure how it's possible for the iPhone to see it if iTunes can't. Hopefully, one of the many experts here with more knowledge than I can help you out.

lamhonlun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
I'm using version 10.1 as well. There is also an option to enable specific audio and subtitle tracks under the Controls drop down menu in iTunes. Is that available or is it grayed out? The closed captioning box shouldn't make a difference as I was able enable an .srt subtitle track with or without it checked.

If the ability to enable it using the drop down isn't available, I'm out of ideas, sorry. Essentially it appears iTunes isn't recognizing the presence of the subtitle track--not sure how it's possible for the iPhone to see it if iTunes can't. Hopefully, one of the many experts here with more knowledge than I can help you out.

Yes, the audio and subtitles option under control tab is not available. I have no idea why.

But anyway, thank you for trying to help

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Under Preferences in iTunes there is, under Playback, an option to choose the soundtrack and subtitle language.

lamhonlun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Under Preferences in iTunes there is, under Playback, an option to choose the soundtrack and subtitle language.

Indeed there are Audio and Subtitle options to select. Although I select the subtitle as English, but the sub still doesn't show up in the movie :(

Screenshot2010-11-06at190603.png

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
The file extension needs to be .m4v if you want to see the subtitles in iTunes and QuickTime Player 7.

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work
The file extension needs to be .m4v if you want to see the subtitles in iTunes and QuickTime Player 7.

I've got a .mp4 that plays subtitles just fine in Quicktime, yet in iTunes it won't play at all. Any thought why? Or should I just convert it to .m4v? And does Handbrake do that?

panflex

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Yes, the audio and subtitles option under control tab is not available. I have no idea why.

But anyway, thank you for trying to help

It's been a while and you've probably figured it out/given up, but I had the same issue you did and I just figured it out last night:

I re-encoded the movie a second time w/ subtitles and could not get the subtitles to work. I then realized I had to delete the file from Itunes (not the original file, just the file from itunes!)

You need to add the file back into itunes, which will take a few seconds to load. The subtitles should work after you do this. For me, itunes kept playing the previous file w/out subtitles which explains why it did not work

Poy77

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
I have also ripped some movies from DVD with Handbrake. I don't want to burned in subtitles. After conversion I can select subtitles in VLC, but not in iTunes, ATV or iPad. What's the problem?

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Does the file you're using have a .m4v extension? If it's .mp4 then iTunes will not allow you to use subtitles. I've no idea why.

MacSlavko

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
I′m having the same problem. I had an mp4 file with no viewable subtitles. Then I changed the extension in Finder to m4v and now the movie plays in Finder (QuickLook), iTunes, VLC, Quicktime, but iTunes stil don′t allow me to choose the subtitles file (the option is greyed out)...

Any ideas?

Shoul I do a proper file conversion (not merly to change the extension to.m4v)?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I′m having the same problem. I had an mp4 file with no viewable subtitles. Then I changed the extension in Finder to m4v and now the movie plays in Finder (QuickLook), iTunes, VLC, Quicktime, but iTunes stil don′t allow me to choose the subtitles file (the option is greyed out)...

Any ideas?

Shoul I do a proper file conversion (not merly to change the extension to.m4v)?

For the aTV to have the ability to turn subtitles on/off (soft subs) there has to be a subtitle track in srt format in the mp4. This can be done by downloading an srt subtitle file from various websites that provide them, then incorporating that file into the mp4 while transcoding with Handbrake or adding it manually using Subler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.