Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:25 AM   #1
shyam09
macrumors 65816

ipad employee discount

so hi everyone im new to this place
so good night! (its night and im going to sleep)

but i had a quick question
im planning ot buy a macbook pro 13 inch (with SSD nad all) and i was wodnering should i also buy a ipad. i want it for college and to save money on textbooks and all that stuff if you know what i mean.
also my parents might find it useful and all

but the main point is:
im thinking of buying it around black-friday
i know that apple might not put it on sale, but the apple employee discount how much will i get oof this (if its eligible??)

thanks and good night everyone see ya in the morning!

*ps i was going to wait for the 13 inch MBP update, but my dad says i should just buy it now (i think its cuz of our computer clashes that ware so recent now.. i have to go on my computer when he is on doing business and its hard for both of us..lol)
so tell me your opinions and once again good night .. sweet dreams

PSSSS: DOES IPAD HAVE IOS 4? or whatever its called? just curious
shyam09 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:46 AM   #2
chiefroastbeef
macrumors 6502a

As for the discount, it is for Apple employees, and it doesn't seem like you are an Apple employee(or else you'd know). The education discount Apple offers does not apply to the iPad.

iOS 4 for iPad will come out late November, that is what people are saying. Right now, the iPad is still running 3.2.2.
Nikon D700

Last edited by EricNau; Nov 8, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
chiefroastbeef is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:18 AM   #3
shyam09
macrumors 65816

true, i am not an employee.. but i know a friend who is an employee. so i was thinking about buying two MBP and maybe 1 ipad?
shyam09 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020

There is a difference between an employee discount and a friend to employee discount. It's like 5% less than the employee discount, I dont remember the exact discount but I remember this (funny how things work). I bought a iMac and printer and it came out to like 1,200 and I got that 200 off. That is a verry rough estimate so sont go by that.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:50 AM   #5
jampat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam09 View Post
true, i am not an employee.. but i know a friend who is an employee. so i was thinking about buying two MBP and maybe 1 ipad?
Check if the employee plan has a time limitation (ie. one computer every 6 months).

If you are buying an ipad to save money on textbooks you are kidding yourself (or those around you). Digital books are very similarly priced to real books (if they are even available in a compatible format) and the chance your ipad gets broken or stolen is infinitely higher than the textbook suffering a catastrophic failure. If you want an iPad, man up and say you want an ipad as a toy, don't try to make bs excuses.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6
shyam09
macrumors 65816

oh jampat
okay fine i want it as a toy.. but also as a textbook.. sure the risks are higher but i dont stay in a dorm, and i WILL keep everything valuable neazr me at all times (then again i could be robbed nad and killed over an ipad (hmm?)

but im going to be a medical student nad the books they lag around is heavy stuff.. so yeah

also im planning to get it so my parents can use it too.. right now (i think i said this before) my parents and i have to share one computer (cuz my sister wont share) so whenever im doing homework and my dad comes in, i would get up and he would go on and he takes as long as he wants..

but the thing is and that is what everyone is missing (im not sure if i mentioned this)

IM GETTING THE IPAD IF ITS CHEAP ENOUGH $ 499 is BS to me.. but if if hte price can get lowered., there is a chance i might buy it....
shyam09 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
oh jampat
okay fine i want it as a toy.. but also as a textbook.. sure the risks are higher but i dont stay in a dorm, and i WILL keep everything valuable neazr me at all times (then again i could be robbed nad and killed over an ipad (hmm?)

but im going to be a medical student nad the books they lag around is heavy stuff.. so yeah

also im planning to get it so my parents can use it too.. right now (i think i said this before) my parents and i have to share one computer (cuz my sister wont share) so whenever im doing homework and my dad comes in, i would get up and he would go on and he takes as long as he wants..

but the thing is and that is what everyone is missing (im not sure if i mentioned this)

IM GETTING THE IPAD IF ITS CHEAP ENOUGH $ 499 is BS to me.. but if if hte price can get lowered., there is a chance i might buy it....
FAIL. iPad at $499 is competitive. Nothing comes close at that screen size.
Consultant is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:11 PM   #8
getinline1
macrumors newbie

Scary

Let me know where you plan to practice medicine so I can be sure to never ever go anywhere near there. Jesus Christ, the future is doomed.
getinline1 is offline   -1
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:32 PM   #9
hcho3
macrumors 68030

Quote:
oh jampat

If you think price is not good for you, then obviously this product is not for you. Also, there is a big difference in definition of price in ipad. iPad is most affordable tablet out there in the market. Samsung Galaxy Tab costs 600 dollars without a contract. Most of other tablets will go beyond 500 dollars.
It is very unfortunate to see what a closed mind you have. I have 499 dollars wi-fi iPad and it is very worth the price. Glad you are not business major. You would fail in every damn classes with closed mind like that. Is 500 dollars a lot of money? Yes . Is 500 dollars a lot of money for tablet that is changing the market with 25000 apps and growing? No.
hcho3 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:33 PM   #10
hcho3
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by getinline1 View Post
Let me know where you plan to practice medicine so I can be sure to never ever go anywhere near there. Jesus Christ, the future is doomed.
I agree. It is so scared to see how closed mind this OP has. And he is a student...
Our future of med is just getting worse and worse. We need more regulations and reforms in Med.
hcho3 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:55 PM   #11
aluren
macrumors 65816

OP, you can read books on the iPod Touch also if you can't afford the iPad... lol... Or you can go on Craigslist and see if there's people asking for "service" for their iPad instead of cash.
aluren is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:28 PM   #12
miklovo
macrumors member

iPad is not eligible for an Apple employee discount and $499 is a great price point for the product. Apple employees are allowed to purchase 2 different ways: one machine every 18 months for 25% off and 2 machines every year at 15% off.

The only way you'll get a significant discount on an iPad is if you hook yourself up with a Target employee and get their 15% discount (10 + 5 additional for using Target card). I bought my iPad for $385 after this plus 10% off Target Rewards discount!

Good luck

Last edited by EricNau; Nov 8, 2010 at 12:22 AM.
miklovo is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:28 PM   #13
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluren View Post
OP, you can read books on the iPod Touch also if you can't afford the iPad... lol... Or you can go on Craigslist and see if there's people asking for "service" for their iPad instead of cash.
The idea of using an iPod Touch for e-textbooks would be enough to deter anyone from higher education.
poloponies is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:32 PM   #14
aprofetto8
macrumors regular

I really hope you are a foreign student and english is your second language. If not, may God have mercy on your soul.
aprofetto8 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:14 PM   #15
iamthekiller
Banned

The closest this guy is to medical school is becoming janitor at the CVS.

Allow me to translate & add commentary. I will assume when he writes "nad", he actually is referring to his testicle(s).

Quote:
oh jampat
okay fine i want it as a toy.. but also as a textbook.. sure the risks are higher but i dont stay in a dorm
He lives in his parent's basement.

Quote:
, and i WILL keep everything valuable neazr me at all times
Please remember to keep it near you, plugged in, while taking a bath.

Quote:
(then again i could be robbed nad and killed over an ipad (hmm?)
We can only hope.

Quote:
One of his testicles has a heavy tumor, thus prompting his interest in medical studies.

Quote:

You did mention your parents earlier - a whole two sentences ago. Focus on your sister's stranglehold of the family. It may be easier to just divide the time she monopolizes on the computer with the other family members.

Quote:
PLZ KEEAP US UPDATID ON UR IPAD AND NADS
iamthekiller is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Refurbs start at $450 USD.
184550 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:38 PM   #17
dmm219
macrumors 6502

jesus people...OP's post aside, you all sound like sniveling 3rd graders. You are all the one's the give Apple a bad name.

If you can't ANSWER his post then SHUT IT. Why are you wasting your ever-precious intellect on it? The rest of us come here for useful help and information, not immature rants on OP's. Get a life.
dmm219 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:46 PM   #18
shyam09
macrumors 65816

wow after looking at all the post im shocked and amazed. fine i made some mistakes in spelling.. i type fast and my ands are always nads and my thes htes.. i hate it too sorry.
but some of the comments posted are just wow! im sorry im not rich, but hey i have to look into my own personal finance and see if it is worth it. that was the whole point.
im not going to spend my time arguing or saying crude comments to the other posters or insult them in any way. im not that low. i ask advice on whether or not i buy both ipad and MBP and here we go, really?

but to defend my back i will say things that arent as mean and low
iamthekiller- CVS janitor huh? ill take the insult because it makes me laugh thats all! i would say you have a career in comedy, but your jokes are crude, rude, and down low. oh right "We can only hope." to getting killed and robbed.. either youre one ******* or youre really messed up
getinline1- i dont know you, you dont know me, who knows the future?? but for your information (of the future) im going to be a pharmacist so try to stay away from drugs okay- unless of course its life threatening.

miklovo- thank you though.. youre actually one person who i would like to thank.. i did not know that the ipad doesn't get a discount.. im probably going to buy it anyhow... but thank you for letting me know that

one more thing i would like to add. my close mindedness may be subject to all your insults, and whatnot, but whatever. im sry though im not as rich as others and i have to think before buying expensive things.. really really sorry.

as far as me being a pharmacist. ill become one dont worry about that. i admit my start was weird.. i just read it and i realize how stupid it was.. and thats one reason why i am sorry.
shyam09 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:48 PM   #19
shyam09
macrumors 65816

but going to the original reason of the post
it was a simple do ipads get the employee discount thats all, but it was answered...thank you to the one person who answered me properly. and the others who contributed
shyam09 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:49 PM   #20
shyam09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm219 View Post
jesus people...OP's post aside, you all sound like sniveling 3rd graders. You are all the one's the give Apple a bad name.

If you can't ANSWER his post then SHUT IT. Why are you wasting your ever-precious intellect on it? The rest of us come here for useful help and information, not immature rants on OP's. Get a life.

thank you thank you thank you. i wish i read your post but i guess i was late by a couple of minutes or something thanks so much for defending me. and yes i do admit my post was horrible and really badly phrased.
thank you again!
shyam09 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 04:36 PM   #21
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Just remember that this forum is filled with many age groups and i would venture to say that many are over 30 and don't enjoy text speak and see it as a sign of immaturity or unprofessionalism. I'm only 25 and don't like it either. So just remember who your audience is here and you'll be fine. You're not talking to just your buddies anymore.

That does suck about the iPad not getting the discount though. But like some one mentioned, try the refurbs. $50 is $50. Take what you can get.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:27 PM   #22
CanadianMac2008
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklovo View Post
First of all, this is not Facebook or a text to your homie so please use full sentences and spell correctly since its just annoying if you don't.

iPad is not eligible for an Apple employee discount and $499 is a great price point for the product. Apple employees are allowed to purchase 2 different ways: one machine every 18 months for 25% off and 2 machines every year at 15% off.

The only way you'll get a significant discount on an iPad is if you hook yourself up with a Target employee and get their 15% discount (10 + 5 additional for using Target card). I bought my iPad for $385 after this plus 10% off Target Rewards discount!

Good luck
You're wrong.
CanadianMac2008 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:36 PM   #23
CanadianMac2008
macrumors member

Quote:
I suggest you speak to your Apple friend who will know what is actually possible.

Last edited by CanadianMac2008; Nov 1, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:37 PM   #24
shyam09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMac2008 View Post
You're wrong.
are you talking about the target discount or the ipad discount in general?
shyam09 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:56 PM   #25
CanadianMac2008
macrumors member

Quote:
are you talking about the target discount or the ipad discount in general?
His statements about the Apple employee discount. Completely wrong. Check with your Apple friend.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland