Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knight26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
So I got a 160GB iPod Classic and notice when I reset my iPod or when I synchronize it via iTunes when I wear my earbuds plugged into the iPod, I hear random but not loud static sounds. This worries me of course. This is a HDD based product so I suspect it's caused by the HDD, but I hear it on my earbuds speakers so it's coming through the headphone jack. I am of course worried if I should keep this iPod or to exchange for a new unit. Thanks in advance.

And when I reset it, and see the Apple logo, I hear a lot of static. How normal? BTW when I listen to music I don't hear any static, but then again I am using my stock ear-buds as I have nothing better. My model is iPod Classic 160GB (2009 version)

Also I got this link that seems to match my issue:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10335018-263.html?tag=mfiredir

FixYouriTunes

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
San Francisco
Absolutely you should return/exchange the iPod. I had a similar problem and I immediately took it back because after the second day the issue got to be too annoying. And if you keep it thinking it could change but it could actually get worse and have a harder time exchanging it later and you'll end up paying for a repair. So the best thing is to just return/exchange it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.