Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Macitynet.it claims it has some early photos from the setup at MacWorld Expo. The depicted sign reportedly showed images of the upcoming flash iPod with the slogan: "Life is random"

We cannot show the images of the new iPod because we were forced to delete them from our cameras, but we can describe it. It is without any screen (that's maybe because the slogan is "Life is random!"), small, with a shape more vertical than the other iPod. The color is white, and it seems like a small remote control that fits confortably in a single hand.

Only one day left.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
This is highly interesting! I wonder how Apple tends to explain this random thing, that is, how will random be a selling feature :)

To Arn: How about some credit for the link please? I need some bragging rights :)

OSXpert

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
New York / New York
Is this implying that the mp3 player will be set to "shuffle" always and the user has no say in what songs come up?

I guess thats an interesting take on things and could be fine for exercising, but I can imagine alot of people not getting it.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
im sure whatever apple brings out will will be decent! i have faith in them!

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
I'm still a little skeptical of a player without an screen, but if any one can pull it off, Apple would be the most likely to be able to do. So we'll wait and see.

Besides, I can't say that I would be likelyto buy one . . . not enough storage.

pbook15

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
1GB would be a lot to navigate through. 512MB would be a nice size for a 'random music player' in my opinion. I have an iTunes playlist that I like listening to with a wide variety of about 100 songs which takes up approximately 450MB. This kind of player would be great to take snowboarding or biking rather than my iPod which tends to not like the cold and big hits.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Yeah, Life is Random, just not that Random.

Why would anyone want to skip tracks because they had no control over what was coming next.

Perhaps there are like a dozen presets for playlists that you set up from your computer.

tb2me

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2005
So much for no pictures:

lifeisrandom.jpg

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
No screen? Really, there is no excuse for not putting in a small LCD display like other small flash players.

However, a poster above had a really good point - you define the play order on your computer. However, personally, I'd rather have the choice - choose songs I want to play when I want and not on my computer before hand.

Hope it sells well.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I'm sorry but this has to be the most stupid forum in the history of macrumors!

No mp3 player has ever been built without a scree to my knowlage, and I think you'll find no consumer in their right mind would buy one. And if it was voice activated or had some sort of voice scrolling, could you think how long that would take to scroll through songs! not to mention the fact that you'd have to remember every song on your mp3 player.

Guys c'mon use your inteligence and stop perpetuating a lie

Jason

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
Doesn't Apple own some patents related to voice recognition?

If so I hope it covers other languages than english, because I, as a froggie, have such a hard time successfully triggering the OSX speech recognition 'what time is it?' event, that I can't even begin to imagine how on earth I'll be able to control my playlist...
me said:
i- Pod, author : aphex twin, album: druks disk two, title "jynweythek".
Play.

Noooo not the fragglerocks, not AGAIN!

:D :D :D

kettle

macrumors 65816
Stella said:
No screen? Really, there is no excuse for not putting in a small LCD display like other small flash players.

However, a poster above had a really good point - you define the play order on your computer. However, personally, I'd rather have the choice - choose songs I want to play when I want and not on my computer before hand.

Hope it sells well.

Maybe it uses "Smart Playlists" too.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
The lack of a screen would be consistent with rumours that appeared a few months ago. I really hope there is a way of selecting which song you want to listen to - if you can't - the flash iPod would be a major dissapointment in my eyes. They HAVE to put some control buttons somewhere :eek:

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
OK guys, when this rumor fails to come to fruition, I'm going to come back on here and call all you guys morons ;) and its ok because if I'm proved wrong (which I wont be :D ) I expect you to do the same to me :eek:

jay :cool:

kettle

macrumors 65816
j_maddison said:
I'm sorry but this has to be the most stupid forum in the history of macrumors!

No mp3 player has ever been built without a scree to my knowlage, and I think you'll find no consumer in their right mind would buy one. And if it was voice activated or had some sort of voice scrolling, could you think how long that would take to scroll through songs! not to mention the fact that you'd have to remember every song on your mp3 player.

Guys c'mon use your inteligence and stop perpetuating a lie

Jason

How different would this be to a CD multi changer in a car, the user could pre program 10 preset playlists and switch between them. Within each playlist the user could then forward and back track, maybe even a button that cycles repeat options.

If the price was right, I think this would be a very useful machine, imagine the battery life if it didn't have a screen.

Just trying to use some intelligence.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
No screen? WTF?!?

Hopefully this is just misinformation. An iPod without a screen would SUCK for the hundreds of thousands of control freaks out there. Then again, this is Apple, the company that LOVES to shoot itself in the foot, so maybe it is so.

GRRRR!!!

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
kettle said:
How different would this be than a CD multi changer in a car, the user could pre program 10 preset playlists and switch between them. Within each playlist the user could then forward and back track, maybe even a button that cycles repeat options.

If the price was right, I think this would be a very useful machine, imagine the battery life if it didn't have a screen.

Just trying to use some intelligence.

A CD multichanger in a car has an lcd display on the dash ;)

But I like your post :)

jay

torrentado

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
IMO, the "random" word in the slogan refers to some sort of ipod radio... thus, it is random in a way... But, i could be wrong...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.