Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:18 AM   #1
TtheB
macrumors newbie

iPad update on a different computer?

Hey all.

I'm obviously going to need to update my iPad when 4.2 is released. However my MacBook has recently died. Anyone know if it's possible to update on a different computer without losing all my music/apps? If i sign in with my apple ID in iTunes will that work?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help

TtheB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:06 AM   #2
mcdj
macrumors 604

you can update from any computer, you just won't be able to sync without losing your ipad's content. when you plug it in to a different computer, it will tell you it's already synced to another computer and ask if you want to sync to the new computer. if you say ok, your music, apps, etc. will be wiped from the ipad. just say no, then click update in the summary tab.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 04:19 AM   #3
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502a

I can confirm as I did this with no problem. Just follow the steps described above and you'll be fine.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad