Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilopew

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Hai,

I've got this old iMac G4 on my desk, doing nothing, just sitting there. It's CD Drive is dead and it's rather slow(800 MHz hurr durr). I did manage to install Leopard on it though, with a bit of modding of the instal packages. Interesting is, it runs pretty well as a matter of fact.

Anyways, my question is: what can I do to upgrade this machine? I'm ready to do anything, opening up the case, removing all the contents and placing new ones instead etc. I don't mind replacing the hardware, motherboard, whatever, it all suits me. The thing is just standing there doing nothing, so me killing it with a wrong maneuver doesn't matter at all. What it's applications will be? Anything.

Consider there are no limits to budget or ideas or willingness of doing some hardware hacking. Just post what could be done with it, whatever comes to your mind :3

Also, I've got a MacBook Pro latest gen, maybe I could use the iMac as external music library over WiFi or sth? :3

Thanks

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Without budget limitations, I'd buy an Intel Mac Mini and put it in the stand of the iMac. Apparently, everything has to be adapted, including the display connector, but it can be one. I recall seeing this project somewhere.

Pilopew

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Without budget limitations, I'd buy an Intel Mac Mini and put it in the stand of the iMac. Apparently, everything has to be adapted, including the display connector, but it can be one. I recall seeing this project somewhere.

I've looked at that, placing a Mac Mini inside there, but it would come down to this: https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-224698.html
I'm not new to engineering, but this is way beyond my capacities.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Max out RAM - to 1GB, install DVD RW, replace HDD with faster one (SATA with SATA->IDE adapter). If you need wireless, buy Airport card. If money aren't the limit, put SSD into it.
Which one 800 is it? 15" or 17"? 17" has better graphics card and it could work in Extended Desktop mode (after a little software hack).

There is way to overclock it to 900 MHz. It requires soldering and results are machine individual. Of few OC'ed by me, only two were perfectly stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.