Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:57 AM   #1
jasmine84
macrumors member

Safari, Pages crashing "quit unexpectedly"

Lately I have been noticing some applications, most memorably Safari and Pages, quitting unexpectedly. I'm just in there and boom, out of nowhere, it quits. Has anyone else had this problem or know what may be causing it? I am on a brand new 15" i5 MBP running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I was going to switch back to Chrome from Safari, but since other apps are doing it too I'm thinking it's not just the web browser's fault but the fault of something else on my computer...

Thanks in advance for your help!
jasmine84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Not sure what it may be but I have always found Safari to be quite fragile and unstable...it crashes rather often. Don't have that problem with Chrome.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:16 PM   #3
iDisk
macrumors 6502a

Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine84 View Post
Lately I have been noticing some applications, most memorably Safari and Pages, quitting unexpectedly. I'm just in there and boom, out of nowhere, it quits. Has anyone else had this problem or know what may be causing it? I am on a brand new 15" i5 MBP running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I was going to switch back to Chrome from Safari, but since other apps are doing it too I'm thinking it's not just the web browser's fault but the fault of something else on my computer...

Are you buy any chance running site with Flash?

Flash is the #1 reason why Macs crash.

- Bruce
"Where there is no vision the people perish:"- Proverbs 29:18
iDisk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:55 PM   #4
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine84 View Post

Post a crash report, including the backtrace (lines numbered 0, 1, 2, etc) for the thread that crashed and the Binary Images section.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:29 AM   #5
lodowall
macrumors newbie

Hi all,i have the same jasmine's problem....it quits unexpectedly.
it started when i accepted to install a new toolbar.
Sometimes i can not quit safari with the red (x),unless i go on the menu and I click on "quit".

Any answer?!

Thanks all

Lodo
lodowall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:37 AM   #6
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodowall View Post
Sometimes i can not quit safari with the red (x),unless i go on the menu and I click on "quit".
Clicking that red "traffic light" will never quit Safari. It simply closes that window.

As for crashes, you'd need to post a crash report. Many Safari crashes are caused by Flash player or by third-party plugins. I'd start by uninstalling that "new toolbar".
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:46 AM   #7
lodowall
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPZ View Post
Clicking that red "traffic light" will never quit Safari. It simply closes that window.

As for crashes, you'd need to post a crash report. Many Safari crashes are caused by Flash player or by third-party plugins. I'd start by uninstalling that "new toolbar".
yeah i know...I meant that when i click on the red traffic light i can not quit the window..i can only use the yellow traffic light.

well,about the toolbar,i have no idea how to unistall it...

thanks
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Apple OC
macrumors 68040

what is the new ToolBar? ... someone here will advise how to get rid of it
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:54 AM   #9
SandboxGeneral

I had a similar problem when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Safari, Pages, iMovie and some other apps would always crash unexpectedly too. I found after a month or so of frustration and Apple tech support and reinstalls of the OS, that it was Flash causing ALL my problems.

You may need to uninstall Flash altogether and see how it goes. Then if all seems well, try reinstalling the latest version of Flash, if you need it.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:57 AM   #10
lodowall
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I had a similar problem when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Safari, Pages, iMovie and some other apps would always crash unexpectedly too. I found after a month or so of frustration and Apple tech support and reinstalls of the OS, that it was Flash causing ALL my problems.

You may need to uninstall Flash altogether and see how it goes. Then if all seems well, try reinstalling the latest version of Flash, if you need it.
thanks a lot,i will try it!

Lodo
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post

I would also try installing the plug-in Click2Flash...It allows you to choose whether or not you want to see flash, and will also give you the option of watching videos in H.264.

My Safari used to crash a few times a week, but since I installed Click2Flash it's been almost perfect...and a heck of a lot snappier.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:05 AM   #12
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
I would also try installing the plug-in Click2Flash...It allows you to choose whether or not you want to see flash, and will also give you the option of watching videos in H.264.
Yep, I have that in my signature...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Not sure what it may be but I have always found Safari to be quite fragile and unstable...it crashes rather often. Don't have that problem with Chrome.
Nope. Safari 5.0.2 is rock solid on 10.6.4. I often have 50 to 100 tabs open in Safari.

3.5 year old MacBook Pro Santa Rosa, 4gb of ram. I use this Safari flash blocker (not click2flash):
http://obamapacman.com/2010/06/apple...-x-pc-windows/
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:29 AM   #14
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Nope. Safari 5.0.2 is rock solid on 10.6.4. I often have 50 to 100 tabs open in Safari.

3.5 year old MacBook Pro Santa Rosa, 4gb of ram. I use this Safari flash blocker (not click2flash):
http://obamapacman.com/2010/06/apple...-x-pc-windows/
50-100 tabs open. Wow, what all do you have open and how do you manage all that? What is the RAM usage of Safari with all that?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:53 AM   #15
lodowall
macrumors newbie

Unistalling flash player Safari is working good.
I hope i solved my problem!

Well,i wanna know more about click2flash...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:58 AM   #16
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodowall View Post
Unistalling flash player Safari is working good.
I hope i solved my problem!

Well,i wanna know more about click2flash...
http://clicktoflash.com/
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:08 PM   #17
lodowall
macrumors newbie

I tested Safari all the afternoon long.

Now It's ok!

Unistalling flash player and installing newest version of it i solved my problem.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Cheers Lodo
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:12 AM   #18
akswun
macrumors member

I find that Youtube and youtube embedded videos cause safari to crash constantly. I swear I opted for HTML5 to be displayed when possible.

I'll try to reinstall flash drivers. Hopefully it works.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store