Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasmine84

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Toronto ON
Lately I have been noticing some applications, most memorably Safari and Pages, quitting unexpectedly. I'm just in there and boom, out of nowhere, it quits. Has anyone else had this problem or know what may be causing it? I am on a brand new 15" i5 MBP running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I was going to switch back to Chrome from Safari, but since other apps are doing it too I'm thinking it's not just the web browser's fault but the fault of something else on my computer...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Not sure what it may be but I have always found Safari to be quite fragile and unstable...it crashes rather often. Don't have that problem with Chrome.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Flash

Lately I have been noticing some applications, most memorably Safari and Pages, quitting unexpectedly. I'm just in there and boom, out of nowhere, it quits. Has anyone else had this problem or know what may be causing it? I am on a brand new 15" i5 MBP running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I was going to switch back to Chrome from Safari, but since other apps are doing it too I'm thinking it's not just the web browser's fault but the fault of something else on my computer...

Are you buy any chance running site with Flash?

Flash is the #1 reason why Macs crash.

- Bruce

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006

Post a crash report, including the backtrace (lines numbered 0, 1, 2, etc) for the thread that crashed and the Binary Images section.

lodowall

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Abu Dhabi
Hi all,i have the same jasmine's problem....it quits unexpectedly.
it started when i accepted to install a new toolbar.
Sometimes i can not quit safari with the red (x),unless i go on the menu and I click on "quit".:(

Any answer?!

Thanks all

Lodo

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Sometimes i can not quit safari with the red (x),unless i go on the menu and I click on "quit".:(

Clicking that red "traffic light" will never quit Safari. It simply closes that window.

As for crashes, you'd need to post a crash report. Many Safari crashes are caused by Flash player or by third-party plugins. I'd start by uninstalling that "new toolbar".

lodowall

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Abu Dhabi
Clicking that red "traffic light" will never quit Safari. It simply closes that window.

As for crashes, you'd need to post a crash report. Many Safari crashes are caused by Flash player or by third-party plugins. I'd start by uninstalling that "new toolbar".
yeah i know...;)I meant that when i click on the red traffic light i can not quit the window..i can only use the yellow traffic light.

well,about the toolbar,i have no idea how to unistall it...:):confused:

thanks

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I had a similar problem when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Safari, Pages, iMovie and some other apps would always crash unexpectedly too. I found after a month or so of frustration and Apple tech support and reinstalls of the OS, that it was Flash causing ALL my problems.

You may need to uninstall Flash altogether and see how it goes. Then if all seems well, try reinstalling the latest version of Flash, if you need it.

lodowall

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Abu Dhabi
I had a similar problem when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Safari, Pages, iMovie and some other apps would always crash unexpectedly too. I found after a month or so of frustration and Apple tech support and reinstalls of the OS, that it was Flash causing ALL my problems.

You may need to uninstall Flash altogether and see how it goes. Then if all seems well, try reinstalling the latest version of Flash, if you need it.

thanks a lot,i will try it!

Lodo

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

I would also try installing the plug-in Click2Flash...It allows you to choose whether or not you want to see flash, and will also give you the option of watching videos in H.264.

My Safari used to crash a few times a week, but since I installed Click2Flash it's been almost perfect...and a heck of a lot snappier.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

lodowall

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Abu Dhabi
Unistalling flash player Safari is working good.
I hope i solved my problem!

Well,i wanna know more about click2flash...

lodowall

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Abu Dhabi
I tested Safari all the afternoon long.

Now It's ok!

Unistalling flash player and installing newest version of it i solved my problem.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Cheers Lodo

akswun

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2009
I find that Youtube and youtube embedded videos cause safari to crash constantly. I swear I opted for HTML5 to be displayed when possible.

I'll try to reinstall flash drivers. Hopefully it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.