Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I have an ibook G4 1.42 ghz. It worked fine until recently. After connecting to a wireless network for a few minutes, it then begins to sporadically drop out. And after losing the connection, it can't detect any wireless networks. Turning off the card, restarting the computer, letting it sit for a few minutes... signals come in and out, but then drop again.

I'm using OS X.4, so this isn't a software problem, the OS, or caused by an update. The antenna also isn't faulty. The computer reads the card as being fully functional, but just doesn't detect any wireless networks.

I've exhausted all software solutions and now can only conclude it's a hardware problem. Given the symptoms I've described, would the best idea be to replace the card altogether? Or is there reason to believe this won't solve anything?

Thanks.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Well do other computers on the network work fine?

The problem is with the computer. It does this with every network I connect with.

The question is whether this is the airport card or the logic board which is faulty. I will most likely get a replacement card in any event, but only because I'm going to be operating on the computer for another faulty component.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I guess it answers that. I did have problems with the computer's AC power/battery recharging system, but it's similar to a problem I've dealt with on another machine. So I guess I'll be replacing that DC board, the airport card, and upgrading the hard drive all at the same time.

It's just that I've searched this subject across many sites and none have explicitly mentioned replacing the card to solve the problem. Others just said restarting the computer, replacing both the card and logic board, OS operating system update problems, ext. Is it likely that no one suggested replacing the card because it's buried deep within the computer?

I'm still open to other people's feedback, otherwise thanks.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the battery is indeed buried deep within the iBook and can cause all sorts of problems when failing , kernel panics are one of them

mine one day did while surfing explode (1.42 model) means a loud pfffffff sound and smoke came out of the vents , and the logic board looked like there was a nuclear blast inside :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.